• The KillerFrogs

2022 MLB Thread*

Eight

Batman Facepalm GIF by WE tv

Should have spent some of that half a billion on some damn pitchers.

realize tucker average says he has been struggling, but coming into today's game he had driven in 7 runs in the last three days and on deck you have the guy who if you google what is a double play you get this picture

current

granted, martin's average has now surged to 0.079 but if it is me and i have never played the game at that level, think i walk tucker today

Center fielder Byron Buxton
From Jeff Passan, Apr 25–

“Since 2019, the Minnesota Twins are 124-73 (101-win pace) with a +233 run differential when Byron Buxton plays, per
@PaulHembo

In the 203 games he hasn't played, Twins are 94-109 (75-win pace) and -97.

In his last 162 games, Buxton has 8.4 WAR. The definition of impact player.”

Those remarkable crazy team stats suggest that one player CAN make a huge difference. Or it is mostly coincidence—maybe the stats suggest a lack of some team leadership—I don’t know. Byron Buxton has been a very frustrating player because he is hurt half the time but has genuine five-tool potential which he has exhibited. When he has played intermittently over the last three seasons, his slugging percentage has been very good, and that is while chasing pitches and collecting few walks—so how good could he be with sustained health. He is now 28 and we still don’t know. I think he has been the most exciting player to watch when he has played these last three years, and many/most don’t know of him. I would probably bet he does not make it to June 1, as I did correctly last year. He has already missed a few this year after a knee concern sliding into second. Most likely he will soon strain something. Please Buck, find a way to stay healthy, and play for all of us to enjoy.

Last edited:

Eight

anyone who watches the astros have a smile after last night's win over detroit

hinch instead of playing game situations went with the shift against tucker with no outs in the bottom of the 9th with runners on 1st and 2nd. outside fastballs becomes a roller through the left side where the short stop should have been and the astros win

reminded me a bit of the world series against the nationals

Crazy stat—the Damn Dodgers have allowed only 57 runs in 23 games—2.5 runs per game. Almost as good—the Damn Yankees have only surrendered 70 runs in 25 games—2.8 per game.

Last edited:

Eight

went to the astros game today with wife and some friends

think they should adopt a rule that if you are wearing the other teams gear you don't get a free bobble head

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
went to the astros game today with wife and some friends

think they should adopt a rule that if you are wearing the other teams gear you don't get a free bobble head
Growing up in Houston and going to Colts Stadium and the Dome it was always like a Cubs or Cardinals home game. It always seemed like everyone else had lots of fans too.

Is Fingers Furniture still on the Gulf Freeway with the Buff Stadium home plate marker?

Byron Buxton publicity in the New York Times—

Tyler Kepner@TylerKepner
On Baseball: Pick a skill, and Byron Buxton will dazzle you with it. A look at the man Carlos Correa calls “the best player in the world”
Excerpts—
He does not take many pitches because he knows he can barrel up almost anything near the strike zone.

“And that’s what makes it really fun again, because I don’t go up there thinking about what you’re going to do to me,” Buxton said. “I’m an attack-first guy.”

Buxton barely lifts his foot off the dirt, generating force from the ground and transferring it up through the bat. It is a subtle skill, but Popkins said it makes Buxton the most incredible hitter he has ever seen.

“He’ll leave the ground just a little bit for a step, but it’s early and he’s always in there, and you just see both feet gripping. It’s like his feet are hands; they grab the ground and just torque it.”

“He’s the best player in the world, no doubt about it,” said Correa, the shortstop who left Houston to sign a three-year, $105.3 million contract with the Twins in spring training.

“Speaking about talent, he’s the best. He’s got to stay on the field and show it, but I know talent when I see it. Playing in the same division with Mike Trout, playing with great players on the Astros — nobody has more talent than him. Nobody hits the ball farther. Nobody plays better defense. Nobody throws harder. Nobody runs faster. So when you talk about talent and you talk about tools, this is the most gifted out of all of them out there.”

“I think we’ve kind of come up with the philosophy around here of: just appreciate it for what it is,” Morneau said. “We don’t know what the future is going to be. Just look out there today and watch him run down a ball in the gap and appreciate that. Watch him turn a single into a double like nobody else can do and appreciate that. You hope that he’s going to stay healthy, but nobody knows what’s going to happen. So just watch and appreciate the most electric player in the game today.”

Those last two excerpts temper his potential greatness because we know he will likely always be a high injury risk. He frustrates fans. But, that risk, and his previous injuries slowing his development, facilitated the Twins being able to afford him—7 years, 100 million, the contract laced with performance incentives for pay on top of that. Correa is 3 years and 105 million and Cory Seager is 10 years, 325 million. Currently Buck is out of action again, with a “very slight” right hip strain (day-to-day). That same right hip strained last year had him out for 6 weeks. He is a strain waiting to happen, but we hope he somehow surprises and stays healthy.

Last edited:

Eight

Growing up in Houston and going to Colts Stadium and the Dome it was always like a Cubs or Cardinals home game. It always seemed like everyone else had lots of fans too.

Is Fingers Furniture still on the Gulf Freeway with the Buff Stadium home plate marker?

no idea

LisaLT

Rangers/Yankees was a real humdinger today. <yawn>
1 run and 7 hits TOTAL in the game.
At least the right team won. Right @LisaLT ?
win by one lol!!!

Pitching was really good in that Texas series - for both teams. Gleyber's walkoff homer in the first game was great. They have a tough series starting today with Toronto.

Eight

look out, the astros must be cheating again......how else do you explain 5 home runs in one inning

oh wait, they are on the road in boston, isn't that one of the cities that cried the loudest about how they were cheated.

jackie-hysterical.gif

bc puckett

look out, the astros must be cheating again......how else do you explain 5 home runs in one inning

oh wait, they are on the road in boston, isn't that one of the cities that cried the loudest about how they were cheated.

jackie-hysterical.gif
No they just kicked their ass the next year.

Eight

You really want to compare WC's from the last 20 years? My point was that unlike the Yankees who are still crying about 2017 the Sox settled their own score

the only red sox off that team i think any astro fan has an issue with is joe kelly for obvious reason

as far as that team, i agree and think that the play off series with them have been some very good baseball. same with the rays

their fan base is a different matter which is a bit ironic when you consider who they back in pro football

will say they are far from the biggest whiners and only one gm continues to whine about it.