• The KillerFrogs

2022 MLB Thread*

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
All 4 of the wild card round winners had a winning record against their playoff opponent during the regular season.

3 of the 4 division series are actually division match-ups. The teams are going to be really familiar with each other. It'll be interesting to see if the regular season success of the division winners carries over to the playoffs like it did for the wild card round.

Atlanta 11-8 against Philly
Houston 12-7 against Seattle
Dodgers 14-5 against San Diego
(The skankees were 5-2 against Cleveland)

The Mariners visit the ‘Stros tomorrow. The Game 1 pressure is on Verlander and the Astros. Mariners have ace Luis Castillo pitching Game 2, whom dominated the good hitting Jays on Friday. If the Mariners win Game 1, it puts the Astros behind the eight ball, having to win Game 2 versus Castillo so they don’t go to Seattle down 0-2. The ‘Stros have not seen Castillo this year—yikes. He was a trade deadline acquisition and his rotation after the trade never met up with the ‘Stros.

Logan Gilbert starts Game 1 for Seattle and has surrendered only 7 earned runs to Houston in four starts through 25 innings this season. Seattle has seen Verlander six times this year—once every series.

The Mariners’ Castillo will probably pitch Game 5 on short rest, and Gilbert, Game 4 on normal rest. The Mariners only need three starting pitchers. The ’Stros were the best team in the AL regular season because of exceptional consistent starting depth of 6 pitchers on a 6 man rotation, but now that is largely nullified. You don’t need 5 or 6 starters in the playoffs, and in this five game series the Mariners will not even use 4.

The Divisional round series should be 7 games, to test that pitching depth a bit more. If it takes 7 games to best determine which team is best in the League Championship and World Series, why is it different in the Divisional round—it makes no sense. The shorter 5 game series has greater risk of eliminating the best team in the league or both leagues before getting to the truer test of 7 games.

The NBA and NHL use 7 games for each round, and they don’t have variable pitching staffs to sift through.

Or, if doing a 5 game series, then have no off days, to test the entire pitching staff, like the regular season. You can travel in the day and then play at night, or play during the day, travel that evening and then play the following night, like they do in the regular season.

Last edited:

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
I'm not knowledgeable about subscription TV. Is there any way my friends can get a free trial of something to watch the TBS games. And cancel when it's all over?

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
I'm not knowledgeable about subscription TV. Is there any way my friends can get a free trial of something to watch the TBS games. And cancel when it's all over?
There's a TBS app. If you're really close with them and trust them, you can let them use your spectrum login info and they can stream the games thru the app.

LVH

Mariners feel like a team of destiny like the Rangers in 2010 - picked up a big deadline pitching acquisition and have been rolling since a bad start to the year.

The Astros ptiching roster for this series is outstanding. All six good starters included and a 7th starter if you count rookie Hunter Brown as a starter. It will be a shame if this best pitching staff in the AL does not advance to the League Championship.

Last edited:

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
YouTube TV for playoffs. Fubu for regular season. I just switched back over to YouTube TV which, is better overall, to me as an astros fan
Well, my friends are even less "techy" than me, so I went over and used his computer to set up a free trial of Youtube TV on his office TV. Piece of cake. I spent the next hour trying to get it on his living room TV. I failed. But he is content to sit at his desk and watch his Astros. I hate it when I can't figure this stuff out.
Thank you for your help.

Creeperfrog

Well, my friends are even less "techy" than me, so I went over and used his computer to set up a free trial of Youtube TV on his office TV. Piece of cake. I spent the next hour trying to get it on his living room TV. I failed. But he is content to sit at his desk and watch his Astros. I hate it when I can't figure this stuff out.
Thank you for your help.
Lol! Its funny bc you have to download different apps and then confirm on another device then sign in and what not. It can take up to 5 minutes, if you are good at it. Nevermind when using new devices