• The KillerFrogs

2022 MLB Thread*

FBallFan123

MLB teams are very popular within their own market, but MLB's problem is that fans don't really care if their own team isn't playing.

MLB needs to embrace storylines like the NBA does to draw casual attention. They need a face and a heel dynamic. We somewhat saw that with the Astros being in the heel role.

This is part of the argument for expanded playoffs.

Basically, more teams relevant down the stretch, more markets in the playoffs, more playoffs games = more money.

I don’t think most people want the watered down version of the NBA playoffs … where teams with losing records make the playoffs.

A 12-team playoff may be a way for MLB to thread the needle, but we’ll see.

FBallFan123

Also not great for the sport when the face of MLB for 20 years (Derek Jeter) walks away from his CEO position in Miami because they dont really care about winning. Not a great message to the fans.

Depends on what version you believe…

JETER FALLOUT We’re told that Derek Jeter’s departure from the Marlins was more owner Bruce Sherman’s decision than Jeter’s. Sherman had told an associate it would be difficult for him to publicly fire Jeter, even with Sherman’s unhappiness about low attendance numbers, among other issues. So it was phrased a mutual parting.

Jeter had one year left on his contract and he wasn’t going to get an extension. The Jeter camp is pushing the message that the team changed its mind about spending at least $10 million more this offseason, but a team source privately disputed that. Which side was accurate on that issue will become clear when the lockout ends and free agency resumes.

LVH

free form local broadcast restrictions.....please let this continue. have no idea why tf they say I'm in the Rangers market, 190 miles away.
I can't watch Stars or Rangers games here in the DFW market unless I subscribe to Spectrum. Even though they play on ESPN+, TNT, etc. its blacked out.

FBallFan123

free form local broadcast restrictions.....please let this continue. have no idea why tf they say I'm in the Rangers market, 190 miles away.

Free from local restrictions … but also exclusive, and not available on local stations.

Regionals Sports Networks have been on the decline along with cable due to cord-cutting … and MLB is trying to adapt.

They’re still negotiating with Peacock as well.

The Friday night games will be exclusive to Apple; they will not be carried by the participating teams’ RSNs. MLB will produce the games. MLB still is negotiating with Peacock on another package of streamed games. “We’re prioritizing reach -- we need to reach our next generation of fans and people that find themselves outside of the bundle,” said MLB Chief Revenue Officer Noah Garden. “That is the most important aspect of this deal.”

geefrogs

Depends on what version you believe…

JETER FALLOUT We’re told that Derek Jeter’s departure from the Marlins was more owner Bruce Sherman’s decision than Jeter’s. Sherman had told an associate it would be difficult for him to publicly fire Jeter, even with Sherman’s unhappiness about low attendance numbers, among other issues. So it was phrased a mutual parting.

Jeter had one year left on his contract and he wasn’t going to get an extension. The Jeter camp is pushing the message that the team changed its mind about spending at least $10 million more this offseason, but a team source privately disputed that. Which side was accurate on that issue will become clear when the lockout ends and free agency resumes.

Considering the Marlins history of bonehead decisions.....hm......im sure its a bit of both. But, as competitive of a guy as Jeter was, im guessing the Marlins philosophy didnt line up. Which makes one wonder why did he go there to begin with? Besides the beaches, weather, tax laws :)

geefrogs

FI50ZM4UYAgUToP

Feb. GQ cover.

Still incredible what he pulled off last year. Put a healthy Mike Trout and Anthony Rendon around him in that batting order and.....oh boy.

Who do you guys think are the most popular players in baseball right now?

I’m curious what you mean by WAR as a greater “threat” to the game.

I do think many players view it as a threat … and presumably this is part of what Tony Clark was getting at what he was talking about “commoditization”.

The commoditization comments is mostly about teams using cheap labor… If you are a top 10% guy, you will always get a big deal in free agency. Young cheap guys are always a hot commodity. But those middling guys who are good, but not great, aren’t getting that 5 year $50 million deal that often anymore, and it is in part due to WAR. Teams have figured out that mid-level free agent isn’t THAT much better than a 22 year old AAA guy, at least on paper that’s true, and thus they aren’t signing those older guys.

My comment was more about how it has changed on the field play. The move to embrace “three true outcomes” for example is heavily WAR based, guys just want to try and create runs or get on base, that’s it, slapping singles, sacrificing, etc. doesn’t get you value. The difference in being viewed as a 2 WAR player in your 30s vs a 3 WAR player is literally a $50-100 million distinction, and thus we have a problem of misaligned incentives.

SoonerFrogs

Free from local restrictions … but also exclusive, and not available on local stations.

Regionals Sports Networks have been on the decline along with cable due to cord-cutting … and MLB is trying to adapt.

They’re still negotiating with Peacock as well.

The Friday night games will be exclusive to Apple; they will not be carried by the participating teams’ RSNs. MLB will produce the games. MLB still is negotiating with Peacock on another package of streamed games. “We’re prioritizing reach -- we need to reach our next generation of fans and people that find themselves outside of the bundle,” said MLB Chief Revenue Officer Noah Garden. “That is the most important aspect of this deal.”
That's perfectly fine. I dont have cable. When I did have the MLB all-games access, I could not watch the Rangers. I live nearly 200 miles from Dallas, am firmly in the Houston market. But somehow MLB still say no. It's ridiculous. I know the markets in the northeast are much smaller. There's no way they're blocking 6 teams for people.

FBallFan123

The commoditization comments is mostly about teams using cheap labor… If you are a top 10% guy, you will always get a big deal in free agency. Young cheap guys are always a hot commodity. But those middling guys who are good, but not great, aren’t getting that 5 year $50 million deal that often anymore, and it is in part due to WAR. Teams have figured out that mid-level free agent isn’t THAT much better than a 22 year old AAA guy, at least on paper that’s true, and thus they aren’t signing those older guys.

My comment was more about how it has changed on the field play. The move to embrace “three true outcomes” for example is heavily WAR based, guys just want to try and create runs or get on base, that’s it, slapping singles, sacrificing, etc. doesn’t get you value. The difference in being viewed as a 2 WAR player in your 30s vs a 3 WAR player is literally a $50-100 million distinction, and thus we have a problem of misaligned incentives.

Here’s the thing about Three True Outcomes … 2 of the 3 have largely stayed the same the last 20 years.

HR’s and BB’s are close to where they were in 2001.

Meanwhile strikeouts are up almost 10,000 and continue to increase at a high rate.

I don’t think that can all be blamed on the hitter’s without taking into account factors like the increasing use of shifts, shorter stints by starting pitchers (esp. a 3rd time through the order), which leads to increased bullpen usage, larger bullpens (which teams sacrifice position player bench depth for), improvements in pitching analytics (not only in how to pitch each hitter but also scouting and prioritizing a pitcher’s spin-rate’s the same way they do hitter’s exit velo … not to mention the often illegal ways pitchers added spin until MLB cracked down on it), the increase in average pitching velocity, etc.

Home Runs
2001: 5,458
2021: 5,940

Walks
2001: 15,806
2021: 15,794

Strikeouts
2001: 32,404
2021: 42,145

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2001.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2021.shtml

Last edited:

Eight

so if one of the biggest issues in baseball is the length of the games the best things to do to shorten the games is to restrict the number of trips to the mound, reduce the number of relievers by mandating minimum number of batters faced, pitch clocks, not letting batters step out, lower the mound, and eliminate the shifts

wait....so how do the last two speed up the games which seems to be one the biggest complaints

helcap

Here’s the thing about Three True Outcomes … 2 of the 3 have largely stayed the same the last 20 years.

HR’s and BB’s are close to where they were in 2001.

Meanwhile strikeouts are up almost 10,000 and continue to increase at a high rate.

I don’t think that can all be blamed on the hitter’s without taking into account factors like the increasing use of shifts, shorter stints by starting pitchers (esp. a 3rd time through the order), which leads to increased bullpen usage, larger bullpens (which teams sacrifice position player bench depth for), improvements in pitching analytics (not only in how to pitch each hitter but also scouting and prioritizing a pitcher’s spin-rate’s the same way they do hitter’s exit velo … not to mention the often illegal ways pitchers added spin until MLB cracked down on it), the increase in average pitching velocity, etc.

Home Runs
2001: 5,458
2021: 5,940

Walks
2001: 15,806
2021: 15,794

Strikeouts
2001: 32,404
2021: 42,145

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2001.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/majors/2021.shtml
you can see the shrinkage of "small ball" between those years
Stolen Bases
2001:3103
2021:2213

Sacrifice Bunts
2001: 1607
2021: 766

Its like every team in now managed by Earl Weaver

Eight

you can see the shrinkage of "small ball" between those years
Stolen Bases
2001:3103
2021:2213

Sacrifice Bunts
2001: 1607
2021: 766

Its like every team in now managed by Earl Weaver

how much of this is a byproduct of the analytics where you don't give the pitcher free outs by sacrifice bunting and stolen bases aren't worth the risk

FBallFan123

so if one of the biggest issues in baseball is the length of the games the best things to do to shorten the games is to restrict the number of trips to the mound, reduce the number of relievers by mandating minimum number of batters faced, pitch clocks, not letting batters step out, lower the mound, and eliminate the shifts
wait....so how do the last two speed up the games which seems to be one the biggest complaints
You’re conflating two separate issues

1) length of game
2) balls in play

LisaLT

FI50ZM4UYAgUToP

Feb. GQ cover.

Still incredible what he pulled off last year. Put a healthy Mike Trout and Anthony Rendon around him in that batting order and.....oh boy.

Who do you guys think are the most popular players in baseball right now?
I would think Aaron Judge must be in top 10 most popular. Certainly Ohtani and Trout, but popularity can change year to year depending on results on the field.

Eight

You’re conflating two separate issues

1) length of game
2) balls in play

true, but how do you address shortening the game and getting rid of the shift and therefore increasing the number of hits, runs, at bats etc..?

very possible that i am way wrong on this but addressing the second i am not sure how you accomplish the first

FBallFan123

true, but how do you address shortening the game and getting rid of the shift and therefore increasing the number of hits, runs, at bats etc..?

very possible that i am way wrong on this but addressing the second i am not sure how you accomplish the first

I think there’s several different complaints that need to be kinda separated out.

Length of game … games are too long… the average length of MLB games is now 3:11 and has been at/over 3 hours every year since 2012.

Lack of action/balls in play … too many TTO … not enough going on, the game isn’t entertaining enough.

Pace of play … too much dead time between innings, between pitches, etc. and too many pauses in action (batters stepping out, pitchers taking their time, pitching changes, mound visits, official review time, etc.)

Eight

I think there’s several different complaints that need to be kinda separated out.

Length of game … games are too long… the average length of MLB games is now 3:11 and has been at/over 3 hours every year since 2012.

Lack of action/balls in play … there’s not enough going on, the game isn’t entertaining enough.

Pace of play … too much dead time between innings, between pitches, etc. and too many pauses in action (batters stepping out, pitchers taking their time, pitching changes, mound visits, official review time, etc.)

very good list and think you could sort it a variety of ways and have a solid case for all three being #1

pace of play to me is actually the biggest problem and being at a game that is being broadcast on fox is brutal with the length of time between innings. unfortunately, that is who/ what is paying the bills

think the pitch clock would help as well as stopping the batters from going back and forth out of the box.

think the review process is embarrassing in how long it takes and the number of times they don't seem to get things right

in regards to lack of action/balls in play i don't see that as a shift issue, but an approach at the plate.

understand the thought of trying to lift and pull everything, but not everyone has that ability do they?

watched the astros play the orioles in one game and the padres in two other games last year and the shift isn't what kept the ball from being in play in those three games

reminds me of an nba game where we get nothing but 3 attempts

heck, they have already flattened the seams on the ball and made it hard as a rock since mlb took over the manufacturing of the balls