• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

So instead of hiring Jesse Marsch to coach the USMNT we’re just gonna send the whole team to play for him. Bold strategy.
I do have one concern at Leeds now that we've seen the entire incestuous former player hierarchy collapse before our eyes. Marsch and his top assistant Chris Armas may be setting up another incestuous front office. Hopefully the Leeds ownership and Board can offset those harmful tendencies. Super stoked about Leeds, though. That's a club that belongs in the top flight and they've become what Fulham were 10 years ago except with even more and higher caliber American players.

Purp

Pefok with the game winner today off the bench. Gio with another goal off the bench too. Freiburg got a red card early so Dortmund won in a blowout.

Eight

watched the last 10 minutes of the everton match this moring, the reaction of the fans is one of the reminders what makes sport so great

the old die hards and the young kids singing in the stands, especially after the protests going into the stadium today, damn...

Purp

watched the last 10 minutes of the everton match this moring, the reaction of the fans is one of the reminders what makes sport so great

the old die hards and the young kids singing in the stands, especially after the protests going into the stadium today, damn...
Didn't see any of it, but damn that's a shocking result. Those Toffees fans are as passionate as any. Gotta believe their reaction was bigger than ours after the Fiesta Bowl.

Purp

Harry Kane did ARSEnal a huge favor today. I don't see anyone overtaking them unless they have a massive collapse like the did to close out last season.

dawg

Harry Kane did ARSEnal a huge favor today. I don't see anyone overtaking them unless they have a massive collapse like the did to close out last season.
Arsenal fans congratulating Spurs fans for knocking off City:

step brothers awkward hug GIF

Title is far from settled. I sadly remember 2008 & 2016, where we let leads slip by not taking care of the bottom half sides. We’ll make it dramatic; it’s the Arsenal way.

Being in the title race in February wasn’t even on my or most Arsenal fans radar back in August. Our goal for this year was get back into the CL, use that cash to strengthen and add depth before pushing in a year or two. This is pure gravy.

Didn't see any of it, but damn that's a shocking result. Those Toffees fans are as passionate as any. Gotta believe their reaction was bigger than ours after the Fiesta Bowl.
“[ profanity ] Burnley” about to become “[ profanity ] Everton.” They couldn’t fire Lanps after our match? Burnley took five points off us last year, and I knew that match was trouble: the “new manager bounce” coupled with a manager who knows how to manage was a dangerous combo. If I was an Everton season ticket holder, I’d be pretty pissed though. Where was this effort all season?

Last edited:

Purp

Title is far from settled. I sadly remember 2008 & 2016, where we let leads slip by not taking care of the bottom half sides. We’ll make it dramatic; it’s the Arsenal way.

Being a total race in February wasn’t even on my or most arsenal fans radar back in August. Our goal for this year was get back into the CL, use that cash to strengthen and add depth before pushing in a year or two. This is pure gravy.

“[ profanity ] Burnley” about to become “[ profanity ] Everton.” They couldn’t fire Lanps after our match? Burnley took five points off us last year, and I knew that match was trouble: the “new manager bounce” coupled with a manager who knows how to manage was a dangerous combo. If I was an Everton season ticket holder, I’d be pretty pissed though. Where was this effort all season?
Yeah, I have mentioned my vendor who grew up less than a mile from Goodison Park. He was resigned to spending a year in the Championship, but now he's got a little hope. He thinks going down would help the club refocus and send a message that the status quo isn't acceptable. The players have been substandard and need to perform to their potential. That said, he'd prefer to stay up.

Chongo94

Being in the title race in February wasn’t even on my or most Arsenal fans radar back in August. Our goal for this year was get back into the CL, use that cash to strengthen and add depth before pushing in a year or two. This is pure gravy.

It doesn’t matter who we have at coach, Dyche’s teams always seems to give us problems.

Last edited:

Purp

Apparently Jedi was sought-after by City on deadline day. Fulham asking 35 million pounds. That's a heavy fee, but he's elite at everything except maybe service. Probably worth the money.

dawg

Apparently Jedi was sought-after by City on deadline day. Fulham asking 35 million pounds. That's a heavy fee, but he's elite at everything except maybe service. Probably worth the money.
Hadn't heard that, but wow... Jedi as Walker's replacement, getting coached up by Pep? Uh yeah. Not the first time a big club inquired about him. Apparently Paulo Maldini was so impressed with Jedi that he called him personally and told him he was signing for Milan. Deal went south when an arrythemia was discovered during his medical (later discovered to have been caused by caffeine sensitivity).

Also, not too surprising Marsh got sacked, given Leeds are 17th only on goal difference after losing a "six-pointer" to Forest. Really, really hope they avoid the drop.

Purp

Hadn't heard that, but wow... Jedi as Walker's replacement, getting coached up by Pep? Uh yeah. Not the first time a big club inquired about him. Apparently Paulo Maldini was so impressed with Jedi that he called him personally and told him he was signing for Milan. Deal went south when an arrythemia was discovered during his medical (later discovered to have been caused by caffeine sensitivity).

Also, not too surprising Marsh got sacked, given Leeds are 17th only on goal difference after losing a "six-pointer" to Forest. Really, really hope they avoid the drop.

Me too. I just bought 3 Leeds kits for me and my boys.

Honestly, I think this could be best case scenario for us. Now Marsch is available for the USSF to hire and he can start building his squad for 2026. If we're honest I don't think we're getting anyone better than him for this next cycle and I'm honestly quite happy about that. My only pause would be another former teammate of Claudio's having authority over Gio. Really don't need anymore All My Children soap opera in the USSF anymore. But I think he's an excellent culture and tactical fit for the kids we've got.

Purp

I'd heard about the interest in Jedi from Italy. I hope he stays far away from there. Both Milan clubs wanted him and one other (Napoli maybe?), but I'd heard the price was too steep for them. It sounds like that was the sticking point for City this time, which is great because it speaks volumes to how much value Fulham places in him. From what I read it sounds like City could have gotten past the sticker shock and done the deal, but they started too late in the process to work out a deal before the window closed.

Joao Cancelo's late transfer to Bayern is what caused the late rush. Cancelo is on a 6 month loan, but is expected to make it permanent after the term for a fee of 62 million pounds. That City wouldn't pay 35MM pounds for Jedi after that deal doesn't make a lot of sense unless there are some financial fair play rules they have to be mindful of preventing such a move right now. Looks like they're in a lot of trouble over that again. It sounds like he'll be a top pursuit over the summer, though, after the Cancelo move is permanent. We'll see. That assumes they aren't heavily sanctioned by the EPL. I really don't want him to go there for the same reasons I hate to see Frogs go to other NFC East teams, but it would certainly be great for the USMNT and for him personally unless the club gets hammered.