• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

Would have been just too perfect for those scheissers to go out on yellow cards, but KSA nicking a goal at the death...

That 70S Show Lol GIF by Laff

Purp

if the sporting gawds truly do exist poland will advance ahead of mexico on "fair play points"
If fair play points also applied to their fans they'd never advance in any tournament.

Happy with the results. We had 14 call-ins today due to "flu" and I bet at least 12 of them are recovered by tomorrow morning. It's better for us that Mexico be done.

Hemingway

Exciting, yes.

But really don’t want Mexico advancing. Honestly would prefer they are never allowed to play upon the world stage ever again.
Have you had the Tehuacán lime mineral water yet? It’s awesome. But it’s water from Mexico , so how do I not get montezuma’s revenge from it?
I’ve got MR from bottled water at the resort , so I know it’s possible.

JogginFrog

Second half of Belgium-Croatia showing promise. Croatia had seemed unbothered about going through 2nd and looked content to hold; Belgium hadn't posed much challenge in first 45. But Lukaku has added some life to Belgium and Croatia is responding with pushes of their own.

Edit: Belgium increasingly desperate and has created a bunch of chances but unable to finish. Croatia is so efficient they look almost lackadaisical, but they create almost as many chances.

Edit 2: Lukaku had at least 5 quality chances--a couple of them point blank--but couldn't convert. Morocco tops the group--who saw that coming?

Last edited:

JogginFrog

So raise your hand if you had Morocco topping their group, because I didn’t. Thought Croatia would advance, but with Belgium.

Should be two more good ones later today; all 4 still have a chance to advance.
You know the commentators won't say it, but Spain might have been OK with conceding the game-winning goal to Japan (which should have been reversed on review--but wasn't--as the cross came from out of bounds). Spain knew they would go through on goal differential as long as Costa Rica didn't beat Germany, and losing to Japan means they get Morocco instead of Croatia in the round of 16. Plus, the Germans go out. All good for España--but Los Ticos made them nervous for a bit.

Too much tin foil?

dawg

And Spain avoids Brazil in the Quarters. Probably more important that not facing a tricky matchup with Croatia in the Rd of 16.

And then there's this stat...

Germany, so great for so long, getting a taste of what it is like back in coach.

Purp

And Spain avoids Brazil in the Quarters.

Germany, so great for so long, getting a taste of what it is like back in coach.

It's really surprising too because their talent isn't a weakness. They just seem to be at a crossroads a bit regarding style. They don't seem as organized and dangerous.

And Germany isn't the only European power declining rapidly. After winning it in Germany in 2006 Italy failed to make it out of the group in 2010 and 2014. Then they didn't qualify for the two after that. The new 48 team format might give them a lifeline.

Eight

And Spain avoids Brazil in the Quarters. Probably more important that not facing a tricky matchup with Croatia in the Rd of 16.

sure no one will notice or care in the fatherland.....

qquestion, how big an impact for a country like germany is their bigger clubs spending time and resources on finding young players from other countries and not focusing primarily on german talent

dawg

It's really surprising too because their talent isn't a weakness. They just seem to be at a crossroads a bit regarding style. They don't seem as organized and dangerous.

And Germany isn't the only European power declining rapidly. After winning it in Germany in 2006 Italy failed to make it out of the group in 2010 and 2014. Then they didn't qualify for the two after that. The new 48 team format might give them a lifeline.
Yeah. Germany have usually been a machine: precise, organized, and where the national shirt seemed to add +25 to every attribute of every player. They haven’t had that in eight years now. Oh, and they’re hosting Euro 2024, though I doubt Flick makes it that far.

Germany rebooted very successfully after Euro 2004 in find to make a semifinal run in 2006. Can they do it again?

sure no one will notice or care in the fatherland.....

qquestion, how big an impact for a country like germany is their bigger clubs spending time and resources on finding young players from other countries and not focusing primarily on german talent
Others know the Bundesliga better than I, but IIRC there is a strong focus on building and advancing German kids through the system at most clubs. Until Bayern buys them all.