• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Eight

Just saw an analysis on ESPN FC speculating about what is next for Pep Guardiola. The commentator suggested he's basically checked off every box as a manager except for winning a World Cup with a national team. Seemingly out of the blue he threw out the USMNT as a potentially appealing landing spot for him given the amount of young talent and depth across the pool.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard something and wanted it to happen more than this. Kills 2 birds with one stone. I doubt it would happen, but I'm ready to start thinking about who is next. Berhalter has me ready for that guy already.

does pep have a sibling in the us soccer hierarchy?

Purp

Wow Purp. Interesting. I agree it would be great if Pep were the next coach for the US, but not holding my breath. So far from what I’ve seen of this US squad, it hasn’t come together. They may get out of the group stage (given the group is weak except ENG) but that’s about it.
Here's an article associated with the video I saw. I agree with you that it's unlikely, but the facts that he's never been anywhere as long as he's been at City, is in his early 50s after stating he doesn't want to manage football late in life, and is the type to want a new challenge is where the commentator got the notion.

Purp

This quantifies something I think we've all recognized and aren't surprised by in the least. The tenfold increase in injuries to young players isn't well explored. I think there's more to it than just the fact that they've been used more due to injuries to veteran players and the condensed schedules. That trend is 4 years long so it started well before the rona.

Purp

think so, but isn't that akin to stop smoking after the spots show up on the chest x-ray
I'm just saying the internal pressure to keep GB on should be a lot lighter than it otherwise might have been were his brother still on board. If there's a chance to entice Pep to take this group into 2026 we should have the Fed print all the money it takes to match his price.

dawg

Just saw an analysis on ESPN FC speculating about what is next for Pep Guardiola. The commentator suggested he's basically checked off every box as a manager except for winning a World Cup with a national team. Seemingly out of the blue he threw out the USMNT as a potentially appealing landing spot for him given the amount of young talent and depth across the pool.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard something and wanted it to happen more than this. Kills 2 birds with one stone. I doubt it would happen, but I'm ready to start thinking about who is next. Berhalter has me ready for that guy already.
Black Widow Avengers GIF