• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

Four-nil. Ronaldo acting like a completely infuriated scheissing Brilesbag.

queue reaction s GIF

It’s possible I may be enjoying this just as much and maybe more as the 4-2 Arsenal victory earlier today.

Purp

queue reaction s GIF

It’s possible I may be enjoying this just as much and maybe more as the 4-2 Arsenal victory earlier today.
The best part is all the red devils fans I know on FB haven't posted yet this season. Had they even drawn a single game thus far they'd be acting as though they just won the UCL.

Last edited:

Chongo94

queue reaction s GIF

How was he acting? I mean, I can guess, but I’d like a first hand account to add to my happy visual interpretation.

Purp

How was he acting? I mean, I can guess, but I’d like a first hand account to add to my happy visual interpretation.
He was disappointed at a couple no calls, then tried motivating his side and their fans down a couple goals, then dejected after the 4 goal deficit.

Chongo94

@Purp when did you say Bundesliga replays go up on espn+? It’s 7pm and my app is not showing any replay options yet. Nor does it show any matches from last week.

I’m starting to think something may be wrong with my account.

Edit: Figured it out. For whatever reason, the “on demand” replays don’t show up on my iPad or phone…only on my Xbox app. Weird.

Last edited:

Purp

@Purp when did you say Bundesliga replays go up on espn+? It’s 7pm and my app is not showing any replay options yet. Nor does it show any matches from last week.

I’m starting to think something may be wrong with my account.

Edit: Figured it out. For whatever reason, the “on demand” replays don’t show up on my iPad or phone…only on my Xbox app. Weird.
I usually notice them within an hour of them finishing.

Purp

Barca are is a bad way and I find myself following more closely than ever out of morbid curiosity. I read an article Friday that their XG differential (probably the best predictor of results and indicator of quality play) was the best in La Liga last year after Xavi took over. And that was with one of the youngest squads in the league too. Had they stayed with that group they'd have been expected to top La Liga this season without spending a dime on xfers.

Fast forward to yesterday and 0-0 a draw with a relegation candidate and Xavi is calling for even more signings. They had to pull financial rabbits out of hats just to register their 7 new signings for yesterday's match and he thinks he needs more? They're lunatics and have no idea how good they were and how much worse a position they've put themselves in this summer.

Unreal. And I love it. It would be like watching the Yankees or Lakers go bankrupt and cease to exist. I really hope it happens.

dawg

Forest!!!! Rode their luck for sure (not one but two ricochets off the bar just stay out, and a poorly taken penalty by Declan Rice) but they rewarded a lit home crowd.

Purp

Just absolute atrocious refereeing in that Chelsea v Spurs match. Wow.
Haven't watched it yet. Been at church. Read about it, though. Sounds like Tuchel and Conte got into it early on for cautions to each and then that fiasco at the end resulted in reds for each. Looked like Tuchel initiated that last engagement. Interested to see how the league doles out suspensions and additional discipline.

Purp

Forest!!!! Rode their luck for sure (not one but two ricochets off the bar just stay out, and a poorly taken penalty by Declan Rice) but they rewarded a lit home crowd.
Really pumped for Forest. Who'd have expected them to take points from their first 2 EPL fixtures? Same for Leeds and Fulham! I've never been so keen on the bottom of the table than this season.

Chongo94

Haven't watched it yet. Been at church. Read about it, though. Sounds like Tuchel and Conte got into it early on for cautions to each and then that fiasco at the end resulted in reds for each. Looked like Tuchel initiated that last engagement. Interested to see how the league doles out suspensions and additional discipline.
I won’t spoil it. Bad calls all the way around although Chelsea seemed to get the worse end of the stick when it came to calls particularly on one egregious one in my opinion close to the end.

Yeah, Tuchel celebrated a bit too large I think so then Conte did and then that stuff at the end, which I agree that Tuchel seemed to initiate. The Spurs home fixture should be great watching ha.

Purp

I won’t spoil it. Bad calls all the way around although Chelsea seemed to get the worse end of the stick when it came to calls particularly on one egregious one in my opinion close to the end.

Yeah, Tuchel celebrated a bit too large I think so then Conte did and then that stuff at the end, which I agree that Tuchel seemed to initiate. The Spurs home fixture should be great watching ha.
I'm in the 50th minute now. Seen a lot of stuff let go that I'd have called both ways. On the flip side, pretty poor consistency bc identical things being let go are later whistled for fouls. You officiate a game like that and you invite it to get really chippy and nasty. Rivalries like this require strict control early on and extreme consistency to quell any notions of unequal treatment.

Purp

That was bananas. After seeing the entire 2nd half play out I think there will have to be more punishment doled out by the league. I also lost a ton of respect for Tuchel. What a whiney wanker he was today. Really childish. I'm kinda embarrassed for Chelsea because of it.

Interested to see what comes of the Romero situation. That's exactly the type of crap that happens when a ref loses control and doesn't take it back. Romero was on the receiving end of several nasty tackles, a couple of which went unpunished. Refs have to be proper arbiters of justice so players don't try to do it themselves. I'm one of the world's worst at getting nasty when refs don't have the stones to take control so I understand the mentality. Doesn't make it right, but I get it. A World Cup ref should be much better than that.