• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

This is miserably boring soccer.
I fell asleep around the 65th minute. Just finished watching. I continue to like de la Torre. He's a solid option behind McKennie. I felt he and Weston don't pair together bc they're largely the same player. And last night McKennie looked subordinate. That says a lot, for me, about de la Torre.

On McKennie, I really hope the rumors of him to Spurs finally materialize this summer. He's exactly what Conte needs in his midfield and I'd love to go into Qatar with a McKennie having a vital impact in a top 4 EPL club.

Happy for Ferreira, but Ben Olson after the game said it best when he told Twellman he could have scored 4 in that game along with Pepi, Wright, and a host of others. It's only useful in that he saw the bulge in the old onion bag multiple times and will provide some confidence.

I liked what I saw from CCV last night. It's hard to evaluate the back line too much bc they weren't tested much, but I felt he was positionally sound and made great plays to keep the ball moving in attack where our typical center backs tend to let it stagnate and play meaningless balls around the back line. CCV intercepted it higher and put it back into attack more quickly preventing Grenada from having time to recover defensively.

Arriola has been solid this season for FCD and looked good last night. I'm comfortable with him as a sub, but he's still probably #23 or #24 on my roster. I think he and Ferreira have developed quick chemistry, though, and that could be valuable down the road.

Jordan Morris needs to be dropped from the pool. If you're non-existent against Grenada there's no place for you in this team.

We need to figure out Tillman's position. It might be the same role as McKennie and de la Torre. He shows flashes, but gets a little careless at times in possession. Maybe he's trying to do too much to stand out knowing the game is out of reach, but he's clearly an impressive physical specimen with a ton of raw talent. I'd like to see him get a longer run against a better opponent before I try to form an early opinion on him.

I thought it was interesting that Twellman said Samba wasn't going to sign with Forest for next season. That's fascinating bc I'd expect he'd want to be an EPL starter, but that could be an awesome opportunity for Horvath. Forest will be. Bottom 5 side in the EPL so their GK will get a ton of work next season. He could have a phenomenal opportunity to lay claim to the WC spot.

Moose Stuff

I fell asleep around the 65th minute. Just finished watching. I continue to like de la Torre. He's a solid option behind McKennie. I felt he and Weston don't pair together bc they're largely the same player. And last night McKennie looked subordinate. That says a lot, for me, about de la Torre.

On McKennie, I really hope the rumors of him to Spurs finally materialize this summer. He's exactly what Conte needs in his midfield and I'd love to go into Qatar with a McKennie having a vital impact in a top 4 EPL club.

Happy for Ferreira, but Ben Olson after the game said it best when he told Twellman he could have scored 4 in that game along with Pepi, Wright, and a host of others. It's only useful in that he saw the bulge in the old onion bag multiple times and will provide some confidence.

I liked what I saw from CCV last night. It's hard to evaluate the back line too much bc they weren't tested much, but I felt he was positionally sound and made great plays to keep the ball moving in attack where our typical center backs tend to let it stagnate and play meaningless balls around the back line. CCV intercepted it higher and put it back into attack more quickly preventing Grenada from having time to recover defensively.

Arriola has been solid this season for FCD and looked good last night. I'm comfortable with him as a sub, but he's still probably #23 or #24 on my roster. I think he and Ferreira have developed quick chemistry, though, and that could be valuable down the road.

Jordan Morris needs to be dropped from the pool. If you're non-existent against Grenada there's no place for you in this team.

We need to figure out Tillman's position. It might be the same role as McKennie and de la Torre. He shows flashes, but gets a little careless at times in possession. Maybe he's trying to do too much to stand out knowing the game is out of reach, but he's clearly an impressive physical specimen with a ton of raw talent. I'd like to see him get a longer run against a better opponent before I try to form an early opinion on him.

I thought it was interesting that Twellman said Samba wasn't going to sign with Forest for next season. That's fascinating bc I'd expect he'd want to be an EPL starter, but that could be an awesome opportunity for Horvath. Forest will be. Bottom 5 side in the EPL so their GK will get a ton of work next season. He could have a phenomenal opportunity to lay claim to the WC spot.
LDLT is a good player.

Purp

My mistake. Looks like they play tomorrow.
I didn't realize it was tomorrow. I was thinking today was the final day of the window. I just remembered reading somewhere after the draw that the winner of that game would be the last one to qualify. Costa Rica should roll in that one, but you never know how a single game will turn out when this much is on the line.

dawg

Couldn’t find the MLS thread…lots of money but yet another stupid effort which may actually limit viewers the cynical person in me says…

It was a matter of time before a streaming service picked up a sports league. I routinely watch MLS matches on ESPN but will watch none on Apple TV+ (unless they air during the single month I sign up to binge S3 of Ted Lasso).

Fewer eyeballs on the product but doubling the $$$ makes sense.

Chongo94

Similar weather in El Salvador apparently though not raining quite as bad. That said, the pitch is a shambles because of matches and weather.

Chongo94

This is one of the most CONCACAF games I’ve seen in a while. I suggest you pass on watching it….although if you want to see a mud bath game, this is it.

Horrible pitch. Horrible play. Horrible calls. An ejection for the USA while down 1-0.

Just a normal Tuesday night in CONCACAF.

Moose Stuff

Typical CONCACAF road performance for us. I take nothing from it beyond best as I can tell nobody got hurt. Highlight for me was Arriola getting sent off so I didn’t have to see him anymore. Low point was Morris scoring and perhaps earning more looks.