• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Not MNT-related, but LLLa-Tri play @ Canada tomorrow. At 8pm.

We all know how much they like “orange ball conditions,” so get scheissed [ the old ricardo ] suckers.

Liked for every word, but I especially like the "LLLa Tri" nomenclature. I'm going to start using it moving forward in hopes that it becomes ubiquitous in American soccer parlance. If it ever does I'll happily give you attribution.

dawg

Yep. UEFA WC playoffs seem like a [ hundin]: 12 will enter, but only 3 will emerge.

“The ten group runners-up are joined by the two best group winners of the 2020/21 UEFA Nations League overall ranking that have neither qualified directly for the final tournament as European Qualifiers group winners, nor entered the play-offs already as European Qualifiers group runners-up. On 26 November 2021, the 12 teams will be drawn into three play-off paths for one-off semi-finals and a final. The three path winners qualify for the World Cup.”

I like it, though. There is DEFINITE advantage to winning your group. Sort of like the MLB Wild Cards; there’s an advantage to winning your division.

Purp

Italy and Portugal both forced into playoffs after failing to automatically qualify for the WC. European qualification is not easy.
Every cycle there are surprises in Europe. Last time wS especially surprising with Italy and Netherlands both failing to qualify.

kaiser soze

I thought about adding him, but he's honestly behind Aaronson and Weah for me right now. I agree he has potential to be the best of all of them, but I don't think I've seen him consistently perform at a level higher than Aaronson and Weah are right now. He always shows flashes, but his game has a lot of maturing to do over the next couple years when he reaches the age of those guys. I'm confident he'll get there if he can stay healthy, but he's not there yet. That said, he's done more at Dortmund at a younger age than Pulisic did there. He clearly has a high bar already and enormous potential to improve in years to come.
Same page. IMO Weah was the difference maker in that game (supported by Musah out of the midfield).

Tim's elite athleticism out on the wing puts added pressure on defenses pushing up the field. With his pace and ball service in like he did Friday, Weah allows Pulisic, Papi, etc to star in finishing versus creating roles, which elevates everyone.

I think Aronson and Reyna are 12th and 13th guys right now. Which gives injury/card protection and is a pretty salty lineup.

Pulisic Papi Weah
McKennie Adams Musah
ARob MRob Zman/Brooks Dest
Steffen

Moose Stuff

Same page. IMO Weah was the difference maker in that game (supported by Musah out of the midfield).

Tim's elite athleticism out on the wing puts added pressure on defenses pushing up the field. With his pace and ball service in like he did Friday, Weah allows Pulisic, Papi, etc to star in finishing versus creating roles, which elevates everyone.

I think Aronson and Reyna are 12th and 13th guys right now. Which gives injury/card protection and is a pretty salty lineup.

Pulisic Papi Weah
McKennie Adams Musah
ARob MRob Zman/Brooks Dest
Steffen
Aronson is a lock starter for me unless you’re just giving him a break (could see that happening tonight TBH). He’s arguably been our most important player this cycle.

kaiser soze

Aronson is a lock starter for me unless you’re just giving him a break (could see that happening tonight TBH). He’s arguably been our most important player this cycle.
I love his heart and hustle too. He's earned and deserves minutes (30+) a game. But who from the list above do you remove?
It's not Musah Adams or McKennie, which leaves Pulisic or Weah. I go with Tim and bring in Aronson 15 mins into H2 (as needed).

Purp

Stunning development here. Mexican fans are the last group I would expect something like this from.
Just read about this on Goal.com. Mexican fans are absolute trash. They're going to be in the same echelon of hell as Nazis, ISIS, Taliban, Antifa, and Baylor.

Purp

I love his heart and hustle too. He's earned and deserves minutes (30+) a game. But who from the list above do you remove?
It's not Musah Adams or McKennie, which leaves Pulisic or Weah. I go with Tim and bring in Aronson 15 mins into H2 (as needed).
I think it ends up being a bit of a rotation to not only keep guys fresh, but more to exploit match-ups against certain opponents. If you want to press high and swarm a difficult opponent in their defensive third then Aaronson is a must in the first 11. If you are playing a CONCACAF side who hunkers down and defends with 8 in the box then you want Reyna and skill guys to break them down. The beauty is we have fantastic flexibility and depth.

dawg

Just read about this on Goal.com. Mexican fans are absolute trash. They're going to be in the same echelon of hell as Nazis, ISIS, Taliban, Antifa, and Baylor.
That’s pathetic. Mexico has one of the worlds great cultures. Food, literature, art, music, architecture… an incredible culture. In no way does it deserve LLLa Tri supporters. They are absolute trash.

kaiser soze

I think it ends up being a bit of a rotation to not only keep guys fresh, but more to exploit match-ups against certain opponents. If you want to press high and swarm a difficult opponent in their defensive third then Aaronson is a must in the first 11. If you are playing a CONCACAF side who hunkers down and defends with 8 in the box then you want Reyna and skill guys to break them down. The beauty is we have fantastic flexibility and depth.
All good points. Excited to see guys like Busio and Richards develop and really push the few who are close to being locks.
Iron sharpens iron, so it's all gravy ... as long as Berhalter keeps the good team guys like Arriola and Lletget way down the bench except in mop up duty on blowouts.