• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

This deal just looks worse and worse. And to top it all off, there is no local broadcasting of any games whatsoever.

It’s only the games on FOX and every game on Apple. I’ll buy an Aggie cap if this thing actually proves worthwhile in the long run.

Eight

This deal just looks worse and worse. And to top it all off, there is no local broadcasting of any games whatsoever.

It’s only the games on FOX and every game on Apple. I’ll buy an Aggie cap if this thing actually proves worthwhile in the long run.

don't be so hard on it chongo, not as if soccer is big in the spanish speaking parts of the world...........................................:oops:

Purp

Seems like Apple would be one of those outlets more worried about sensitivity to minorities and genuflecting to the immigrant population. Weird subtly racist move by Apple.

dawg

don't be so hard on it chongo, not as if soccer is big in the spanish speaking parts of the world...........................................:oops:
Seems like Apple would be one of those outlets more worried about sensitivity to minorities and genuflecting to the immigrant population. Weird subtly racist move by Apple.
100% Cannot believe they’re not attempting to reach out to the Spanish language population.

I’ll watch when I add it to binge Ted Lasso S3 but not beyond that. Shame, as I’d watch FCD whenever they were on Ch21.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
I'm one of the people who watched regularly on traditional TV channels who won't be getting Apple+ to watch MLS games. I will lose touch with FCD and the league in general as a result. I'm with @Chongo that this wasn't a smart move unless Apple makes a free viewing option on their app for MLS only with tons of commercials and ads. I'm really disappointed by this.

I also disagree that MLS will never be more than it is right now. The profile of the league has risen steadily since its inception almost 30 years ago. I think it's already as good or better than all of the European leagues below the top 5 and it's also pretty equal to Liga MX. We'll probably continue to see top end talent go to the big 5 leagues in Europe at young ages, but we're already seeing some of those guys come back in their mid-20s when it doesn't pan out. Rather than playing in Belgium, Portugal, or the Dutch league they're coming back to MLS b/c the money and competition are pretty much the same.

I'm worried this move to Apple may be what turns the steadily rising trajectory over the last 25ish years down in the wrong direction.

Maybe I'm unique b/c, as an FCD fan, it's impracticable for me to make any games from the southwestern part of the metroplex to the northeastern part. Perhaps other clubs don't have the same issues with their stadiums being so far from large swaths of their fan bases. Mansfield to Frisco doesn't make sense so we'll watch on TV if it's available. If FCD were in Arlington or even in downtown Dallas like every other professional sports franchise in this area I'd go to more games. But that distance has relegated me to a TV watcher because I'm an out-of-town fan.
Depends. Apple may be in the mix for EPL when that contract is up. Could be one stop shopping for a football fan. Would love that honestly because I hate the patchwork quilt thing NBC has done with EPL coverage; it’s a mess.

I watch at least one EPL game every weekend it is on. I’ve never watched any more than a few minutes of a MLS game in my life. It‘s not even close, and likely won’t ever be more than training ground fodder and a Seniors’ Tour for burned out real footballers.

Chongo94

100% Cannot believe they’re not attempting to reach out to the Spanish language population.

I’ll watch when I add it to binge Ted Lasso S3 but not beyond that. Shame, as I’d watch FCD whenever they were on Ch21.

Agreed. The Spanish language population made up a very large percentage of their viewing audience too I believe.

It makes one wonder that if the USL maintains its current growth, eventually does pro/rel as they’ve discussed, and gets a somewhat average tv deal on a main channel, if that wouldn’t start changing the landscape of USL and MLS.

I’d probably pay way more attention to that than MLS. The quality would be scheiss but it’d be more exciting with pro/rel and whatnot.

Purp

Depends. Apple may be in the mix for EPL when that contract is up. Could be one stop shopping for a football fan. Would love that honestly because I hate the patchwork quilt thing NBC has done with EPL coverage; it’s a mess.

I watch at least one EPL game every weekend it is on. I’ve never watched any more than a few minutes of a MLS game in my life. It‘s not even close, and likely won’t ever be more than training ground fodder and a Seniors’ Tour for burned out real footballers.
I watch a lot less EPL than ever now bc of Peacock. I'll watch even less if it all goes streaming. I subscribe to enough streaming services. I'm not adding any others. I love the EPL, but I watch more Bundesliga now bc I already have ESPN+ with the Disney bundle.

Chongo94

I watch a lot less EPL than ever now bc of Peacock. I'll watch even less if it all goes streaming. I subscribe to enough streaming services. I'm not adding any others. I love the EPL, but I watch more Bundesliga now bc I already have ESPN+ with the Disney bundle.
Right? Not to mention NBC and Peacock’s absurd efforts at getting one to subscribe by placing some of the best matchups on streaming only at times.

i think what MLS has forgotten in all this, in their effort to grab that supposed “younger consumer that streams more than anything” is who actually pays for streaming. It’s mainly the parents. I doubt those twenty-something streamers are going to want to or even be able to pay for another one just to watch some sports.

dawg

@Chongo94 ....

High Five Friends GIF by Amazon Freevee

Purp

I have never liked Liverpool and never will, but any day any team absolutely trounces ManU, well, that’s always a glorious day!
Same same. There was a brief time when Tom Hicks owned both the Rangers and Stars and had success with both so I hoped Liverpool would do well for that reason, but that quickly changed when things went south so quickly state side and he had his American clubs taken over by their respective leagues and sold. I quickly rooted against Hicks. I was always more partial to Everton anyway going back to Timmy Howard's time in Merseyside. It was easy to start hating Liverpool.

But I'm not sure I can ever dislike the Reds as much as Chelsea or United. Watching United get throttled like that gives me the same joy as if Baylor got clown stomped.

Chongo94

Did y’all see some of those Reyna family texts that were released today? Yeesh, what a family. I don’t like the USSF but wow, the Reynas seem like they would be a scheiss show to deal with, damn.

Investigation into Berhalter is done and led to nothing like most figured it would.

Last edited:

Purp

Did y’all see some of those Reyna family texts that were released today? Yeesh, what a family. I don’t like the USSF but wow, the Reynas seem like they would be a scheiss show to deal with, damn.

Investigation into Berhalter is done and led to nothing like most figured it would.
It's ridiculous for sure. But everyone is still asking the wrong question as it pertains to Berhalter. The dude royally screwed up his handling of our most talented player and that alone should disqualify him from future consideration. I don't care what the report found. He CANNOT coach the USMNT anymore. Just can't.

Moose Stuff

It's ridiculous for sure. But everyone is still asking the wrong question as it pertains to Berhalter. The dude royally screwed up his handling of our most talented player and that alone should disqualify him from future consideration. I don't care what the report found. He CANNOT coach the USMNT anymore. Just can't.
Completely agree. I lose a ton of interest if he remains the coach.