• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

As if any of us need more reasons to hate ManUre. "Oh, what's that, UEFA? There are rules about one person owning two clubs in European competition? Here's a pile of cash, and now politely scheiss off."

Oh, and here's hoping City get relegated to The Conference.

Purp

As if any of us need more reasons to hate ManUre. "Oh, what's that, UEFA? There are rules about one person owning two clubs in European competition? Here's a pile of cash, and now politely scheiss off."

Oh, and here's hoping City get relegated to The Conference.

I'm tired of Arab money in European football. Completely irrational spending is ruining the competition and has diminished the value of development at huge clubs. Soon the EPL will be the dominant hegemon in Europe and the UCL will basically go to whichever side is running away with the EPL.

Purp

Have no fear, you guys: Perez and his Barca counterpart are back with another Super League proposal to "save football." :rolleyes:

I saw this yesterday. Honestly, with the penalties for financial fair play violations from City and Juve, the financial disaster that remains at Barca, and other unknown financial issues plaguing other large clubs it's a poorly kept secret that these clubs are trying to do this for their own survival. They can't afford to keep paying players as much as they are, but they can't afford not to because the threat of missing the UCL with lesser players would also result in financial catastrophe.

I think what's truly brought all this on is a level of entitlement acquired over time paired with the European model of continental leagues running concurrently with national leagues. As the money for each has increased so has the pressure to remain elite. So this Super League idea is born to eliminate the threat of missing out on UCL and getting out from under all the financial fair play regulations.

I really am rooting hard for some of these behemoth clubs to fail spectacularly in bankruptcy and have to claw back from 3 leagues down to restore their former glory like Forest have done. To be clear, I'm not saying Forest were relegated for financial failures. Their only sin was being a club with elite history in a tiny market that could no longer compete when the EPL was corporatized.

Eight

I saw this yesterday. Honestly, with the penalties for financial fair play violations from City and Juve, the financial disaster that remains at Barca, and other unknown financial issues plaguing other large clubs it's a poorly kept secret that these clubs are trying to do this for their own survival. They can't afford to keep paying players as much as they are, but they can't afford not to because the threat of missing the UCL with lesser players would also result in financial catastrophe.

I think what's truly brought all this on is a level of entitlement acquired over time paired with the European model of continental leagues running concurrently with national leagues. As the money for each has increased so has the pressure to remain elite. So this Super League idea is born to eliminate the threat of missing out on UCL and getting out from under all the financial fair play regulations.

I really am rooting hard for some of these behemoth clubs to fail spectacularly in bankruptcy and have to claw back from 3 leagues down to restore their former glory like Forest have done. To be clear, I'm not saying Forest were relegated for financial failures. Their only sin was being a club with elite history in a tiny market that could no longer compete when the EPL was corporatized.

the newly formed "mutual nuclear annihilation " league backed by the saudis should be a big favorite

Purp

Loving the recent run of form for Chelsea. 1 win in the last 8. Nearly got beat by West Ham with a favorable offside call in the 85th minute.

Wish ManUre would pick up the same form.

Purp

What's going on with Chris Richards? He's been getting starts recently and now he's not even on the team sheet today? Can't find anything about an injury.

Purp

Reports seem to be pointing to Jesse Marsch being named Southampton’s manager. Not sure if they’ll announce today or what.
Yeah, I'm wondering if he's rebuffed the USSF or if the USSF has decided it doesn't want him. I've really heard no links at all between them in spite of how natural a fit it may seem. I'm happy for him that he's rebounded so quickly, but not sure Southampton is really going to give him a chance to flourish either. Maybe he steps in with minimal investment and turns their campaign around though. He needs that to avoid permanently tarnishing his reputation.