• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Pharm Frog

Never will understand the need for certain individuals to actively waste their time and take effort to bash a sport they don’t have any interest in…
Any athletic endeavor that ENDS in a 0-0 tie is unsatisfying IMO. I like a great pitching duel and those can be very exciting but only because you know there’s eventually gonna be a WINNER and you want to see HOW.

Chongo94

Do you understand that someone might have an interest and still find it a snoozer?
Mr Bean Thumbs Up GIF

Yep. But personally I found the game pretty entertaining.

Chongo94

Any athletic endeavor that ENDS in a 0-0 tie is unsatisfying IMO. I like a great pitching duel and those can be very exciting but only because you know there’s eventually gonna be a WINNER and you want to see HOW.
Well, then you have to wait one more game as that’s the point of the entire group stage.

dawg

Put 2010 Dempsey or Donovan in this side and we’d be damn dangerous. We were the better side for long stretches, controlled the midfield, and created better chances. Just missing a No9.

Two points dropped vs Wales looming large, but still… it’s in our hands to advance.

Purp

If the entire point of the group stage is to tie then there’s no reason to watch. Personally I’m hoping the US ties Iran as well. Been a long time since a U.S. squad went undefeated at the World Cup.
I think you missed his point. The point isn't to tie every group stage match; the point is, similar to hockey, to at least take points away from you best opponents by drawing and beating the ones you should beat.

In golf, if a player makes birdie on the toughest hole on the course he will likely pick up a stroke against the field. Likewise, if the golfer makes bogey on the easiest hole he's likely giving up 2 strokes to the leaders in the field.

In group play, earning a point against England who are widely considered the best in our group, is advantageous for us as Iran already got clown stomped by them and Wales are likely to lose also. Since we're competing with those 2 sides to have the 2nd most points in the group to advance the draw was a productive result.

But I'm pretty sure you know and understand all of that. Group play is about 270 minutes of football, not just 90 minutes at a time. Strategy within each 90 minute segment is influence (and superceded) by the strategy of the 270. So the wailing and gnashing of teeth at a 0-0 draw as boring is tired because the match was thoroughly riveting both within the 90 minute segment and as a hefty component of the 270.

I am curious as to the origin of people’s interest in soccer here? Did you play the game, or maybe your kids did so you had to learn the game? I don’t know the game because I had no exposure to it as a kid other than junior high gym class, ha, so it has no appeal. I had a friend drag me to Manchester United vs. Manchester City in Houston, and still too boring to watch for me, but I have no understanding of strategy—it seems slow and stunted relative to the fluidity and speed of hockey with its two nets. And being I already spend too much time as a sports fan, I will not prioritize my time to try and become a fan of soccer too.

Last edited:

Putt4Purple

What if all games end in a 0-0 tie? Who advances?
If some of you guys would educate yourself on the Word Cup format and the sport of soccer, then it would be better understood and maybe intriguing for those of you knocking the sport. Group stage is set up in groups of 4 teams. Each team plays each other in a round robin format I.E. Big 12. Understood?? (sarcasm). In the Group stage each win is 3 points, a draw 1 point each team and a loss is 0. After the group play is complete the two teams with the most points advance in the knockout stage. The field is reduced from 32 to 16 and then you see a winner in each game. There are tiebreakers for advancing in the group stage if needed. I will not go into that at this point. I never played soccer, but this is the only time I ever watch it. Each country pours their soul into this tournament, and I truly enjoy watching most of the games.

Pharm Frog

I think you missed his point. The point isn't to tie every group stage match; the point is, similar to hockey, to at least take points away from you best opponents by drawing and beating the ones you should beat.

In golf, if a player makes birdie on the toughest hole on the course he will likely pick up a stroke against the field. Likewise, if the golfer makes bogey on the easiest hole he's likely giving up 2 strokes to the leaders in the field.

In group play, earning a point against England who are widely considered the best in our group, is advantageous for us as Iran already got clown stomped by them and Wales are likely to lose also. Since we're competing with those 2 sides to have the 2nd most points in the group to advance the draw was a productive result.

But I'm pretty sure you know and understand all of that. Group play is about 270 minutes of football, not just 90 minutes at a time. Strategy within each 90 minute segment is influence (and superceded) by the strategy of the 270. So the wailing and gnashing of teeth at a 0-0 draw as boring is tired because the match was thoroughly riveting both within the 90 minute segment and as a hefty component of the 270.
Correct. I know and understand all of that. AND because of that (and a few other things about the sport) I find it among the least entertaining “sports” right there with rhythmic gymnastics and sychronized swimming. I have tried more than a few times to find the entertainment value in this sport and have come up empty every single time. I do appreciate the amount of running these players have to do but I don’t watch cross country races or the steeplechase. I’ll never forget the interview with an English football “fan” who told the reporter about a “friendly” match with Germany several years ago that “A great result today would be a draw”. Combine that with the number of mom’s and dad’s who have said they want their kids in soccer because it’s “less competitive“ than other sports. I’m not knocking the sport. Some people obviously enjoy it. That’s great. I still don’t know why the US and England didn’t just agree to a draw though. Seems like that would have been the most ”strategic” move in this 270m group play. Why risk an L? Again…I’ll be rooting for a USA draw v Iran so they can be undefeated in World Cup play.

Purp

I am curious as to the origins of people’s interest in soccer. Did you play the game, or maybe your kids did so you had to learn the game? I don’t know the game because I had no exposure to it as a kid other than junior high gym class, ha, so it has no appeal. I had a friend drag me to Manchester United vs. Manchester City here in Houston, and still too boring to watch for me, but I have no understanding of strategy—seems slow and stunted relative to the fluidity and speed of hockey with its two nets. And being I already spend too much time as a sports fan, I will not prioritize my time to try and become a fan of soccer too.
I'm 41 (almost 42) and have played for 39 years. I was never fast so, to be good, I had to excel in strategy, tactics, angles, etc. Reading the game is still my strong suit and making incisive passes into dangerous areas is the only reason I'm valuable to a team.

The result of all that experience and success is a deeper appreciation for the game than any other sport. There's more strategy and nuance in a soccer game than any other save for maybe hockey. You not only have to be a great athlete with great skill, but you also have to be a great thinker and process multiple inputs quickly to make proper decisions.

I've coached now for 5 years. My oldest is just now getting to the age where they're starting to think through the game as they play. Getting them all to think the same way as they advance through a game is our biggest challenge now. But it's a fun one.

I watch every sport that exists so, even if I hadn't played for 4 decades I'd probably still watch and enjoy it to a certain extent, but it's my favorite because of how much of my life has been spent in and around it.

Purp

Correct. I know and understand all of that. AND because of that (and a few other things about the sport) I find it among the least entertaining “sports” right there with rhythmic gymnastics and sychronized swimming. I have tried more than a few times to find the entertainment value in this sport and have come up empty every single time. I do appreciate the amount of running these players have to do but I don’t watch cross country races or the steeplechase. I’ll never forget the interview with an English football “fan” who told the reporter about a “friendly” match with Germany several years ago that “A great result today would be a draw”. Combine that with the number of mom’s and dad’s who have said they want their kids in soccer because it’s “less competitive“ than other sports. I’m not knocking the sport. Some people obviously enjoy it. That’s great. I still don’t know why the US and England didn’t just agree to a draw though. Seems like that would have been the most ”strategic” move in this 270m group play. Why risk an L? Again…I’ll be rooting for a USA draw v Iran so they can be undefeated in World Cup play.
So you're being obtuse. If you keep trying and failing to find entertainment value in the sport then quit trying.

And root for an American win. That will also keep them undefeated and get them through to the knockout rounds.

Putt4Purple

I'm repeating myself but just read my post above about advancing in the group stage. The end game in this Group stage, Word Cup format is to advance to the Knockout stage. Thus, a draw is advantageous in some circumstances. I'm not trying to convert you to like soccer. I'm only trying to help you understand. The game against Iran is a must win situation at this point for the U.S. England has 4 points, Iran has 3 points, U.S. has 2, Wales 0. In order for the U.S. to pass Iran and get in the Knockout stage the U.S. has to win and get 3 points. A draw will not cut it.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

I'm 41 (almost 42) and have played for 39 years. I was never fast so, to be good, I had to excel in strategy, tactics, angles, etc. Reading the game is still my strong suit and making incisive passes into dangerous areas is the only reason I'm valuable to a team.

The result of all that experience and success is a deeper appreciation for the game than any other sport. There's more strategy and nuance in a soccer game than any other save for maybe hockey. You not only have to be a great athlete with great skill, but you also have to be a great thinker and process multiple inputs quickly to make proper decisions.

I've coached now for 5 years. My oldest is just now getting to the age where they're starting to think through the game as they play. Getting them all to think the same way as they advance through a game is our biggest challenge now. But it's a fun one.

I watch every sport that exists so, even if I hadn't played for 4 decades I'd probably still watch and enjoy it to a certain extent, but it's my favorite because of how much of my life has been spent in and around it.
Agree on hockey being highly highly strategic and played at a pace that mandates the quickest of action/reaction. I’d also put auto racing, cycling, fencing, and basketball in that mix and maybe even wrestling and martial arts.