• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

hiphopfroggy

I know, but he's a center back. Will help scoring on set pieces, but won't be a #9 threat you have to game plan to stop.
Yes and he is world class. Bayern cleared BVB by 8 points last season and added two world class players this transfer window in De Ligt and Mane. I believe Haaland just said he had been beaten 7 straight times by Bayern while at BVB. Bayern are the Bundesliga champs 10 years running.

Moose Stuff

I stopped making the USWNT matches a priority when the equal pay lawsuits started flying. Most of the woke activists are becoming former players so I'll start paying attention again with the next big event.
Megan Rapinoe is unwatchable for me. And honestly only a fraction of my annoyance with her is based on her politics.

dawg

The top 5 euro leagues this season outside of Serie A are over before they even start.

EPL-Man City
La Liga- Real Madrid
Bundisliga- Bayern
Ligue 1- PSG

Really no reason to watch any of them outside Serie A and MLS.
EPL has a legit six (seven once the Saudi money really starts flowing into Newcastle) clubs that can finish in the CL places, and then there’s another three that can compete for the EL spots. That’s where the real interest lies.

City adding Haaland for £52m just doesn’t seem fair.

Purp

Truly! I don’t even really want to think about it haha but they sure have impressed thus far with preseason matches.
Expectations last season were for ARSEnal to flounder, but they found themselves in prime position for a top 4 finish before an egregious collapse the last 3 weeks of the campaign. They're a year older and more experienced so I think there's a lot to like on that squad (if you're a fan).

Purp

EPL has a legit six (seven once the Saudi money really starts flowing into Newcastle) clubs that can finish in the CL places, and then there’s another three that can compete for the EL spots. That’s where the real interest lies.

City adding Haaland for £52m just doesn’t seem fair.
All of this is true. EPL is very top heavy and the only league in Europe that provides this level of drama for trophies. I still think City are a foregone conclusion, but with so many top quality sides right now anything can happen.

dawg

Truly! I don’t even really want to think about it haha but they sure have impressed thus far with preseason matches.
I thought TCU was winning the Big12 after smoking the FCS opponent in 2018 :oops:, so now I try to take pre-seasons with a grain of salt. That said.... I'm optimistic. The probable first XI looks better than it has going into any recent season. Gabriel Jesus and Zinchenko are massive upgrades, should mesh incredibly well, and bring a winner's mentality. Only City can shed two world class talents who played key roles in multiple EPL titles and are entering their primes at age 25 and yet improve (also, it's an indictment as to how bereft the Arsenal side was of quality players.) We need another elite CM/DM and striker or two and cover for CB. I keep hoping Kroenke hasn't come down from high of winning the Lombardi Trophy and Lord Stanley's Cup in the span of four months and will pour investment into the club to keep his winning streak going. :confused: Not holding my breath, though.

Expectations last season were for ARSEnal to flounder, but they found themselves in prime position for a top 4 finish before an egregious collapse the last 3 weeks of the campaign. They're a year older and more experienced so I think there's a lot to like on that squad (if you're a fan).
All or Nothing proved more than just the name of an Amazon Prime show. For us it literally was All or Nothing: P38 W22 D3 L13.

Top 4 battle will be fierce this year: Chelsea are still stocked with talent and an elite manager, Spurs will be better after a full year under Conte, Utd should be better under ten Hag, and (barring a meator striking Merseyside and Manchester) the top two are still the class of the league. It'll be fun.

Y'all getting Conte was huge; dude's one of the best in the world.

Purp

I thought TCU was winning the Big12 after smoking the FCS opponent in 2018 :oops:, so now I try to take pre-seasons with a grain of salt. That said.... I'm optimistic. The probable first XI looks better than it has going into any recent season. Gabriel Jesus and Zinchenko are massive upgrades, should mesh incredibly well, and bring a winner's mentality. Only City can shed two world class talents who played key roles in multiple EPL titles and are entering their primes at age 25 and yet improve (also, it's an indictment as to how bereft the Arsenal side was of quality players.) We need another elite CM/DM and striker or two and cover for CB. I keep hoping Kroenke hasn't come down from high of winning the Lombardi Trophy and Lord Stanley's Cup in the span of four months and will pour investment into the club to keep his winning streak going. :confused: Not holding my breath, though.

All or Nothing proved more than just the name of an Amazon Prime show. For us it literally was All or Nothing: P38 W22 D3 L13.

Top 4 battle will be fierce this year: Chelsea are still stocked with talent and an elite manager, Spurs will be better after a full year under Conte, Utd should be better under ten Hag, and (barring a meator striking Merseyside and Manchester) the top two are still the class of the league. It'll be fun.

Y'all getting Conte was huge; dude's one of the best in the world.
Conte is building his side the way he imagines it also. I'm really optimistic about how this campaign can go. I think Conte really likes what he has now at Spurs for the 1st time and will have an opportunity to make a final tweak in the winter window if he needs. It's an exciting time at White Hart Lane.

Chongo94

Never….EVER underestimate a Kroenke owned team, especially one trying to fight off Wenger’s second decade stench, to bottle it…

There is a lot to like or hope to like this season. We’ll see.

Chongo94

If I have my dates correct, the EFL Championship starts Friday. I’m assuming some of these games will be on espn plus if I remember the license/network allocation correctly.

Purp

If I have my dates correct, the EFL Championship starts Friday. I’m assuming some of these games will be on espn plus if I remember the license/network allocation correctly.
Yeah. Championship is on ESPN+, but it's not every game. Usually only 3-4 per week. Not sure if that's due to only a small number of clubs with the camera platform capacity to broadcast a decent enough production or if they only pick a few each week to televise based on expected interest.

hiphopfroggy

Conte is building his side the way he imagines it also. I'm really optimistic about how this campaign can go. I think Conte really likes what he has now at Spurs for the 1st time and will have an opportunity to make a final tweak in the winter window if he needs. It's an exciting time at White Hart Lane.
I sure do wish Conte would quit sniffing around the Roma roster. Interesting that he is trying to build up Mourinho's old club while picking the roster of Mourinho's new club Roma, whom Conte thought he was too good for. Fascinating to watch them fight over Zaniolo, I'm really hoping he stays and Spurs sign Madison from Leicester. Tomorrow's friendly between the two should be a good watch and Dybala's debut.

Purp

I sure do wish Conte would quit sniffing around the Roma roster. Interesting that he is trying to build up Mourinho's old club while picking the roster of Mourinho's new club Roma, whom Conte thought he was too good for. Fascinating to watch them fight over Zaniolo, I'm really hoping he stays and Spurs sign Madison from Leicester. Tomorrow's friendly between the two should be a good watch and Dybala's debut.
I wish the McKennie rumors hadn't died down. I was really hopeful in the winter window that his move to Spurs would go through. Then again this summer it got some momentum and then suddenly disappeared with no explanation.

Now that Bryan Reynolds isn't at Roma I'm wholly interested in their destruction. Can't stand Mourinho. Hated the move to dump Poch, hated it all the more b/c Jose was the replacement, and had mixed emotions when he was promptly sacked. I predicted the mediocre results and boring play under Mourinho so we might as well have left Poch in place to revive his club. Then the search to replace Mourinho was shameful a dozen different ways. Really glad they finally landed Conte on the 2nd try.

hiphopfroggy

I wish the McKennie rumors hadn't died down. I was really hopeful in the winter window that his move to Spurs would go through. Then again this summer it got some momentum and then suddenly disappeared with no explanation.

Now that Bryan Reynolds isn't at Roma I'm wholly interested in their destruction. Can't stand Mourinho. Hated the move to dump Poch, hated it all the more b/c Jose was the replacement, and had mixed emotions when he was promptly sacked. I predicted the mediocre results and boring play under Mourinho so we might as well have left Poch in place to revive his club. Then the search to replace Mourinho was shameful a dozen different ways. Really glad they finally landed Conte on the 2nd try.
When Pogba hurt his knee Juventus had to keep McKennie. Reynolds is still owned by Roma just on loan.

With the pull Mourinho still has and the downfall of Lazio and Napoli I wouldn't waste your time hoping for Roma's destruction. In fact now that they are Texas owned all Texans should be rooting for them, the Friedkin's are proving to be great owners.

So happy about the Mourinho hire and Sarri's failure at Lazio. Sorry about Pochettino glad you are happy with Conte he will be great.