• The KillerFrogs

2022-2023 Basketball - What is in store?

Prime BEEF

Need to add 2 three point shooters AND a solid backup PG. solid meaning good ball handler and passer that doesn’t turn the ball over and plays ok defense. Doesn’t have to be a great scorer

froggolf65

I think it’s likely both Miles and Baugh move on to pro ball. I believe Baugh has a young child to look after so we need the NIL machine to get going to keep some guys.

Rose Bowl

I wouldn’t be hurt if Chuck didn’t come back. He certainly has a role but I believe we can find a guy who’s more consistent. I like Doumbia but with Eddie and Xavier here I don’t see a ton of minutes to be had.

If Tulsa does hire the La Tech coach I might reach out to Kenneth Lofton Jr to see if he might want to team up with Mike and Jamie like he did in the U19 team.

JogginFrog

Are Ben Howland and Dixon still on good terms? If so, I wonder if there are any decent Mississippi State players headed for the portal...or recruits that might be flipped. MSU just hired Chris Jans (from New Mexico State) to replace Howland.

Jamie Dixon in his post game conference in regard to whether the team will return, stated that some of his players have “opportunities.” Maybe it’s pro ball somewhere or NIL opportunities elsewhere—is it legal for other schools to be contacting players on other teams?

We would love this team to stay together—they really gelled at the end of the season. A week of soaking in Sweet Sixteen glory would have been sweet but I hope the excitement and excellence of two games in the tournament was enough to generate NIL dollars at TCU for any players that need that to stay. That starts with Miles, Baugh, Lampkin and Miller and others who showed they are growing with this team. You want team depth. This team was fortunate regarding injuries once they began the conference season. They proved their team chemistry, energy and success by finishing the season very strong, and in the tournament rising to equal a #1 seed. They out-rebounded and out-hustled a huge Arizona team in the second half last night and we want to retain that ability, it is not easy to find that chemistry. Seton Hall was big too but the Frogs were the better athletes. When they have fresh legs they are very fun to watch and thrilled us. Imagine how we would be feeling if we were playing Houston in San Antonio on Thursday or Friday in the final sixteen. In the end, this team had some real strengths that opponents knew of, and respected. They showed that they were capable of advancing to the Final Four and that is the end goal!

Yes, the team needs better perimeter shooters. Miles, Baugh, O’Bannon and Peavy need to work on that. Injured Shahada Wells and Maxwell Evans might help with that next year, though both are short guards at 6’ and 6’2”.

Last edited:

Francis Xavier

I think he’s a borderline 2nd round pick. Saw a list of the top 60 NBA prospects in the NCAA tourney (maybe on ESPN or CBS Sports) and he was like 52. And that doesn’t include all the foreign players

But I wouldn’t fault the guy for betting on himself.
Probably a better decision to come back, improve 3 point abilities a bit, and then jump to league.

Haggerty is going to be a great scorer. Really think we have potential. I also think we , except for their centers, had similar athletic abilities as AZ, and weren’t overwhelmed. Also, considering baugh and miles shooting ( 8-37) I think it is fair to say we didn’t even play our A game and were still right in it. We kept it close even with Miles out for many minutes in second half.

I am very impressed.

Eight

Need to add 2 three point shooters AND a solid backup PG. solid meaning good ball handler and passer that doesn’t turn the ball over and plays ok defense. Doesn’t have to be a great scorer

would it be too much to ask to find two guys who can REGULARLY SHOOT 35+% from behind the arc and please no more transfers who had one career game in which they went off never to touch those levels again

other than that, keep the nucleus together, baugh needs to improve his shot, mike get healthy and go find a few more athletic 3 and 4's

Dr. Coach Haus

Come on...we all know what he LVH means by "white guy". No need to dog him.

We need a cat who maybe is not a 15 foot-in jump popper and may be minimally skilled as an "all around Player" but maybe a guy, a loner type, (more likely "white" than not) who since he was 13 years old spent day after day at his home court practicing and practicing 20-25-30-35 foot swishes.

Of course if he is green, red or better purple that's okay!
Jimmy Chitwood type

Francis Xavier

Also, what pains me alot, is not so much one game, but moreso, the inherent bias the game has, from players all the way to refs. Obviously, winning a natty is hard. It’s even harder when you have to go against a blue blood.

Top notch programs get away with cheating, shady stuff all the time.

I’m convinced you can put 20-30 coaches at blue blood schools and due to their pedigree, they will recruit the best and win regardless. Coaching does matter though. Look at Kentucky…

Point is, I want to win a natty but the likelihood is so low that there isn’t too much to be upset about overall.

I do hope dixon gets one one day though.

Maybe the NIL can help some smaller schools compete, and maybe the passing of the guard from guys like K , etc, can help even the playing field a bit.

Also, maybe we start a nice multi year run and build our program up here. Need to find a way to get to the 3-4 seedline so we don’t have to run into a buzzsaw like AZ every year. The good news is parity seems to be a more common theme lately.

Virginia Frog

I do hope dixon gets one one day though.

Maybe the NIL can help some smaller schools compete, and maybe the passing of the guard from guys like K , etc, can help even the playing field a bit.

Also, maybe we start a nice multi year run and build our program up here. Need to find a way to get to the 3-4 seedline so we don’t have to run into a buzzsaw like AZ every year. The good news is parity seems to be a more common theme lately.
I agree with you, but our bb failures are only "disadvantaged" (given the system you describe) not down and out like most bottom 200 D1 programs.

TCU is NOT a "smaller school." Only in student population could that statement be true. As a well-funded, Power 5 (fb) and Power 10 (bb) conference member TCU very well could win a natty (see 2021 Baylor Bears.) Yea, we have some building to do.

A small school is one in a lesser conference with a much lesser budget. When George Mason got to the Final 4 about 10 years ago the TV commentators kept saying "small school." They were just dummies or totally ignorant. GM was at the time the largest university in full-time equivalent students in the entire State. (Liberty makes this claim today but they are really a Christian/Evangelical diploma mill/on-line show with virtually no real admission standards.)

FrogUltimate

Any information on potential Dixon contract? It was my understanding it ran out after this season.

In perhaps the quickest 360 in a while, it seems we should give him a pretty nice contract.

Francis Xavier

I agree with you, but our bb failures are only "disadvantaged" (given the system you describe) not down and out like most bottom 200 D1 programs.

TCU is NOT a "smaller school." Only in student population could that statement be true. As a well-funded, Power 5 (fb) and Power 10 (bb) conference member TCU very well could win a natty (see 2021 Baylor Bears.) Yea, we have some building to do.

A small school is one in a lesser conference with a much lesser budget. When George Mason got to the Final 4 about 10 years ago the TV commentators kept saying "small school." They were just dummies or totally ignorant. GM was at the time the largest university in full-time equivalent students in the entire State. (Liberty makes this claim today but they are really a Christian/Evangelical diploma mill/on-line show with virtually no real admission standards.)
True I just mean out of all the p5 schools, traditionally only a few have really won the majority of titles. Mostly due to talent. I know TCU has alot of money so hopefully we can start finding NIL loopholes lmao. Get some 5 stars.