• The KillerFrogs

2022-2023 Basketball - What is in store?

LVH

A few questions:

1. The only senior is Chuck O'Bannon, is he eligible for another year? This was only his 3rd full season, 2 other seasons he played 1 and 3 games.

2. From everything I have seen this team loves playing together, there are no transfer portal departure risks, right? So everyone can come back.

3. Haven't heard much on the recruiting front - will we focus more on the transfer portal to bring in new guys?

4. I think the #1 thing this team needs to bring in is a white guy who can hit 3s similar to what Matthew Mayer and Brady Heslip were for Baylor. Need to stretch defenses a bit more. It's the missing piece

5. Unfortunately we are still in the Big 12 and with the COVID senior rules its hard to determine who is losing who. Still going to be ultra competitive top to bottom. You know Huggins will have WVU back. Oklahoma State will be out for blood. Baylor doesn't have many seniors to lose. Porter will have Oklahoma on the rise.

Hopefully the way this season ends puts a big chip on this group's shoulder to work extra hard like our football guys had that massive chip on their shoulder after the Fiesta Bowl.

FrogUltimate

I think I read O'Bannon can get another year.

I assume Cork or Doumbia will transfer. Maybe Coles also.

Need to find a 3pt and FT shooter.

Lampkin and Peavy need to spend all offseason shooting the ball.

NIL needs to pay Miles. I don't think he has a shot at NBA, but he could probably get a couple hundred thousand a year overseas. NIL could close that gap quickly, along with showing cost of living, etc.

Need to figure out if those hurt players (Wells?) are worth anything

Basically run it back with a 3pt/FT shooter.

teamcantella

I think I read O'Bannon can get another year.

I assume Cork or Doumbia will transfer. Maybe Coles also.

Need to find a 3pt and FT shooter.

Lampkin and Peavy need to spend all offseason shooting the ball.

NIL needs to pay Miles. I don't think he has a shot at NBA, but he could probably get a couple hundred thousand a year overseas. NIL could close that gap quickly, along with showing cost of living, etc.

Need to figure out if those hurt players (Wells?) are worth anything

Basically run it back with a 3pt/FT shooter.
Miles is an easy 2nd draft pick by most analyst. If I were him I would head for the draft.

PurpleBlood87

Miles is an easy 2nd draft pick by most analyst. If I were him I would head for the draft.

I hope he feels there is unfinished business and stays.
Hopefully this whole squads stays together and can add some pieces like a three point sharpshooter and another point guard. Some inside help wouldn't hurt.
Doubtful Evans and Wells stay. I know they were hurt but I don't know if they can get another year.

y2kFrog

A few questions:

1. The only senior is Chuck O'Bannon, is he eligible for another year? This was only his 3rd full season, 2 other seasons he played 1 and 3 games.

2. From everything I have seen this team loves playing together, there are no transfer portal departure risks, right? So everyone can come back.

3. Haven't heard much on the recruiting front - will we focus more on the transfer portal to bring in new guys?

4. I think the #1 thing this team needs to bring in is a white guy who can hit 3s similar to what Matthew Mayer and Brady Heslip were for Baylor. Need to stretch defenses a bit more. It's the missing piece

5. Unfortunately we are still in the Big 12 and with the COVID senior rules its hard to determine who is losing who. Still going to be ultra competitive top to bottom. You know Huggins will have WVU back. Oklahoma State will be out for blood. Baylor doesn't have many seniors to lose. Porter will have Oklahoma on the rise.

Hopefully the way this season ends puts a big chip on this group's shoulder to work extra hard like our football guys had that massive chip on their shoulder after the Fiesta Bowl.
Chuck O is eligible for another year, and he didn’t participate in senior day activities because he was considering returning. I assume he probably wants to come back since we had seniors in football participate in the senior day and then still opt to return that tells me a lot,

Since most of our team came from the portal leaving again leaves them at risk of losing a year.

I think the only thing most of guys need to do is hit the gym for 1000s of shots a day.

Nick Danger

I’m betting the expectations are going to be sky high.
One question I'd be interested to find out the answer to is where will the media rank TCU next year, in both the conference and national rankings? In the Top 15? . . . Top 25? . . . Others Receiving Votes?, because TCU is not considered a Basketball "Blue Blood"!

Now before anyone starts to argue that Pre-Season rankings "don't matter", I'm going to go ahead and rebut that argument. It matters to national media exposure, which certainly matters for recruiting (both High School and Portal) and facilitates a higher seeding in March. Having clips of your games shown on sports recap shows, and mentioned every week on Sports-Talk radio and YouTube segments is more likely if you have to work your way up from being ranked 16th, starting out , as opposed to 26th!

Bob Sugar

I think he’s a borderline 2nd round pick. Saw a list of the top 60 NBA prospects in the NCAA tourney (maybe on ESPN or CBS Sports) and he was like 52. And that doesn’t include all the foreign players

But I wouldn’t fault the guy for betting on himself.

Virginia Frog

Why does the 3 point shooter need to be white?
Come on...we all know what he LVH means by "white guy". No need to dog him.

We need a cat who maybe is not a 15 foot-in jump popper and may be minimally skilled as an "all around Player" but maybe a guy, a loner type, (more likely "white" than not) who since he was 13 years old spent day after day at his home court practicing and practicing 20-25-30-35 foot swishes.

Of course if he is green, red or better purple that's okay!

Last edited:

Bob Sugar

One question I'd be interested to find out the answer to is where will the media rank TCU next year, in both the conference and national rankings? In the Top 15? . . . Top 25? . . . Others Receiving Votes?, because TCU is not considered a Basketball "Blue Blood"!

Now before anyone starts to argue that Pre-Season rankings "don't matter", I'm going to go ahead and rebut that argument. It matters to national media exposure, which certainly matters for recruiting (both High School and Portal) and facilitates a higher seeding in March. Having clips of your games shown on sports recap shows, and mentioned every week on Sports-Talk radio and YouTube segments is more likely if you have to work your way up from being ranked 16th, starting out , as opposed to 26th!
Would guess receiving votes to start the year. Probably 4-6 in the preseason B-12 media poll.

East Coast

Tier 1
Wells, Cork, and Coles have already transferred and have eligibility left. It would be a high price for any of them to pay to move again. Evans has also transferred and is listed as a senior, if he has eligibility left he has nowhere to go but Div II or NAIA. Doumbia was a JC player, so I think that means he still has a free transfer. He looked pretty raw in the little he played, does he stay? Does O'Bannon come back? I guess we could have as many 4 spots open, but most likely 2 or 3. We need a shooter/ball handler and a banger. I know Arizona is the tallest team in the tourney, but we really struggled against their size. I'd get at least one high school player if we could get one that would immediately contribute.