• The KillerFrogs

2021 Hoops Recruiting

Portland Frog

Dumb questions: how does a redshirt year work in basketball? Given there are only (10 correct?) scholarship slots on a team per season, I assume these redshirt players still count against that number? Thusly, I assume for depth purposes you don't want too many slots taken up by redshirts? Thanks in advance for the answers.

Skip Jansen

Dumb questions: how does a redshirt year work in basketball? Given there are only (10 correct?) scholarship slots on a team per season, I assume these redshirt players still count against that number? Thusly, I assume for depth purposes you don't want too many slots taken up by redshirts? Thanks in advance for the answers.

You are allowed (13) scholarships on your basketball roster each season. A red-shirt counts against that number. (2) would probably be the most players you would ever want to RS in one season.

Last edited:

froggolf65

Hard to see where the wins come from this year. We need a guy to want the ball at end of shot clock and games and be able to create his own shot. RJ wants to be the guy but he is very inefficient. Hopefully PJ can make some big strides in his shooting ability... he has the quickness to go by people but you don't have to respect a shot.

Skip Jansen

Hard to see where the wins come from this year. We need a guy to want the ball at end of shot clock and games and be able to create his own shot. RJ wants to be the guy but he is very inefficient. Hopefully PJ can make some big strides in his shooting ability... he has the quickness to go by people but you don't have to respect a shot.

Great points and agree with everything you said. It's the coach's job to play a style that best fits the personnel. If you don't have a 'late in the clock' scorer then you can't let the clock get low.

Farmfrog

It’s true that I’m pretty crazy but you’d be surprised the number of fans who think we’re going to be below average. From talking to a few folks to a person they believe we are going to be pretty bad.

Eight

It’s true that I’m pretty crazy but you’d be surprised the number of fans who think we’re going to be below average. From talking to a few folks to a person they believe we are going to be pretty bad.

if the team doesn't improve shooting the basketball i can see them struggling to score and competing in the conference.

the frogs have lost 2/3 of their production from behind the arc in bane, grayer, and dennis. bello percentage showed promise, but he has to be more aggressive shooting the ball and one would hope that rj's improvement from inside the arc improves outside the arc.

if we truly do see the improvement from fuller and smith shooting the ball and in the other areas of their game, o'bannon can provide a consistent outside threat, and easley does provide a second consistent scorer in the front line there is definite potential for the frogs being competitive.

that still leaves guys like miles, frank, pearson, and todd to make possible contributions, but from whomever it is they have to shoot the ball better and more consistently than last year and i hope they can fill the hole at 4 on the defensive end.

MTfrog5

if the team doesn't improve shooting the basketball i can see them struggling to score and competing in the conference.

the frogs have lost 2/3 of their production from behind the arc in bane, grayer, and dennis. bello percentage showed promise, but he has to be more aggressive shooting the ball and one would hope that rj's improvement from inside the arc improves outside the arc.

if we truly do see the improvement from fuller and smith shooting the ball and in the other areas of their game, o'bannon can provide a consistent outside threat, and easley does provide a second consistent scorer in the front line there is definite potential for the frogs being competitive.

that still leaves guys like miles, frank, pearson, and todd to make possible contributions, but from whomever it is they have to shoot the ball better and more consistently than last year and i hope they can fill the hole at 4 on the defensive end.
Good news is there is a 0% chance Miles won’t be better than Dennis. Guyer production wasn’t great during conference either.

Dogfrog

have seen him play a couple of times and he has a nice touch on his shot and passed the ball well

hard to say defensively because he was bigger than most, but i don't think he is going to be the rim protector kevin is for the frogs

if he were ready on defense you would think he might have more potential to spell KS for short periods right away. Otherwise redshirt seems probable.

Eight

if he were ready on defense you would think he might have more potential to spell KS for short periods right away. Otherwise redshirt seems probable.

tough to tell at the high school level, but i don't think he is physically ready conditioning and lower body strength to play against a college big who has been in a decent quality program for a few seasons.

he also didn't look to be an elite athlete. that doesn't mean he isn't a good athlete, but when we saw him he didn't look like kevin or a few of the other bigs we have seen in the conference.

his game might be closer to the big from west virginia