• The KillerFrogs

2021 Hoops Recruiting

Eight

Agreed. If you focus on getting missed shots, you have to convert those opportunities with some easy baskets. Especially when scoring, in the half-court, is so difficult (as suggested by last season's Points per Possession).

so having more than one player on the floor taller than 6'7" at the same time would be a good thing?

Skip Jansen

so having more than one player on the floor taller than 6'7" at the same time would be a good thing?

Could be. More importantly, taking advantage of your strengths would be a very good thing.

For example-
ranking low in total possessions, as well as, points per possession is not a good combination. Offensive rebounding helps, but you have to convert those opportunities.

Last edited:

Eight

Could be. More importantly, taking advantage of your strengths would be a very good thing.

For example-
ranking low in total possessions, as well as, points per possession is not a good combination. Offensive rebounding helps, but you have to convert those opportunities.

which goes back to country's desire for better shooters.

a smaller squad with a number of poor shooters and no real set half court offense is going to struggle in the half court against teams with similar athletic ability/ size

seems your choices are get better shooters, improve your shooting ability, improve in your half court offense, some or all of the above

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

a smaller squad with a number of poor shooters and no real set half court offense is going to struggle in the half court against teams with similar athletic ability/ size

seems your choices are get better shooters, improve your shooting ability, improve in your half court offense, some or all of the above
I like D: All of the above.

Skip Jansen

I agree 100%. It all goes hand in hand.

You have to have good shooters for your ball screen action to work. Without shooters to spread the floor, you don't get the desired spacing or put the defense in a bind (and rotation). Defenders can help off your perimeter players without worrying about getting beat by an open 3.

Every coach has different philosophies. Jamie has had a tremendous amount of success doing it one way. The question really boils down to-

Does what worked 10 years ago in the Big East still work today in the Big 12?

Eight

I agree 100%. It all goes hand in hand.

You have to have good shooters for your ball screen action to work. Without shooters to spread the floor, you don't get the desired spacing or put the defense in a bind (and rotation). Defenders can help off your perimeter players without worrying about getting beat by an open 3.

Every coach has different philosophies. Jamie has had a tremendous amount of success doing it one way. The question really boils down to-

Does what worked 10 years ago in the Big East still work today in the Big 12?

great question, he goes 115-55 in tens year of big east play and then goes 28-26 in three seasons of acc play.

same school, same recruiting base, different conference, and different result.

not a bad result, but treading water instead of being at the top of the conference.

Skip Jansen

great question, he goes 115-55 in tens year of big east play and then goes 28-26 in three seasons of acc play.

same school, same recruiting base, different conference, and different result.

not a bad result, but treading water instead of being at the top of the conference.

The game has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Shot clock has been reduced, 3 point line has been moved back, plus numerous new rules and points of emphasis regarding freedom of movement.

It's like anything else. The people who have adapted best have had the most success.

Farmfrog

I know my mindset is different but I would be prioritizing guys who can handle the ball who are 6’6” or taller. I would use the Villanova approach of getting guys have length but are good ballhandlers. I believe length is important in today’s game.

Skip Jansen

I know my mindset is different but I would be prioritizing guys who can handle the ball who are 6’6” or taller. I would use the Villanova approach of getting guys have length but are good ballhandlers. I believe length is important in today’s game.

Ball handling is a huge part of today's game, no doubt about it. Whether it's the primary ball handler or secondary ball handler. Actually, everybody on the court needs to be proficient.

My mindset is a little different as well. I would have at least 4 players, on the floor (sometimes 5), that can spread the floor and shoot 3s. I think a good shot is a good shot no matter where it falls in the shot clock. I would use early offense and get in transition as much as possible.

Offensive basketball is about creating advantages. If you create more advantages than your opponent over the course of a game/season/career, you will be successful.

Portland Frog

Skip, I'm excited to see how coach Broussard will impact recruiting over the long haul given the success he had @ UCLA. Granted he's just getting started (and obviously not the only recruiter on staff), but do you think he can help to continually upgrade the roster to compete in the top-half of the conference in the coming years? Hopefully, the frogs have fewer "misses" or less roster turnover than in the last few years. Yes, of course the transfer portal changes things somewhat, but the portal shouldn't lead to losing 4-5 players each year, I assume, if the right guys are being brought in to fit CJD's system.

Skip Jansen

Skip, I'm excited to see how coach Broussard will impact recruiting over the long haul given the success he had @ UCLA. Granted he's just getting started (and obviously not the only recruiter on staff), but do you think he can help to continually upgrade the roster to compete in the top-half of the conference in the coming years? Hopefully, the frogs have fewer "misses" or less roster turnover than in the last few years. Yes, of course the transfer portal changes things somewhat, but the portal shouldn't lead to losing 4-5 players each year, I assume, if the right guys are being brought in to fit CJD's system.

Portland-

I am sure you saw this-

https://www.silverwavesmedia.com/news_article/show/1102625

I understand that it's just a list but it does show the level of coaches that are currently at TCU.

Duane is going to have a huge impact going forward (already has). Like you said, he's just getting started and it takes a little time to understand what the Head Coach wants and how the hierarchy of the staff works.

Rose Bowl

I think having lots of good ballhandlers is great on the offensive end but if those guys don’t have much size then you can be compromised on the other end. I think we need to keep going after the Peavy type who can play several positions and defend them as well because of his size.

Skip Jansen

I think having lots of good ballhandlers is great on the offensive end but if those guys don’t have much size then you can be compromised on the other end. I think we need to keep going after the Peavy type who can play several positions and defend them as well because of his size.

That would be preferable. In a perfect world, you'd like to have a 6-4 PG who is disruptive on the ball (not allowing the other team to get into anything), three 6-6 - 6-8 guys at the 2, 3, and 4 (so you can switch 1-4), and a 7-0 shot blocker at the 5 (so you can overplay passing lanes w/o danger of giving anything up at the rim).

Understanding that that is not reasonable, I do think the Frogs have a lot of length on the perimeter (6-4 - 6-7 type guys). It's young and inexperienced for the most part but length nevertheless.

Last edited:

Rose Bowl

That would be preferable. In a perfect world, you'd like to have a 6-4 PG who is disruptive on the ball (not allowing the other team to get into anything), three 6-6 - 6-8 guys at the 2, 3, and 4 (so you can switch 1-4), and a 7-0 rim protector at the 5 (so you can overplay passing lanes w/o danger of giving anything up at the rim).

Understanding that is not reasonable, I do think the Frogs have a lot of length on the perimeter (6-4 - 6-7 type guys). It's young and inexperienced for the most part but length nevertheless.

I actually think that having RJ and PJ in the backcourt gives us more opportunity to play guys on the wing that aren’t ideal size. I’m not enthralled with playing a 6’6” guy at the 4 unless the 1,2 and 3 guys have some size. The question will be will we be big enough when we are forced to play Miles and Belo together.

Skip Jansen

I actually think that having RJ and PJ in the backcourt gives us more opportunity to play guys on the wing that aren’t ideal size. I’m not enthralled with playing a 6’6” guy at the 4 unless the 1,2 and 3 guys have some size. The question will be will we be big enough when we are forced to play Miles and Belo together.

All good points. I think we will see a lot of different line-ups in the non-conference part of the schedule (although the schedule is lining up to be pretty tough). Don't be surprised to see Easley get some minutes at the 5. He'll be a match-up nightmare there.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Lampkin isn't gonna redshirt, is he? If he didn't, and we saw him playing the backup 5 role, wouldn't that free up Ledee to play some 4?

Skip Jansen

Lampkin isn't gonna redshirt, is he? If he didn't, and we saw him playing the backup 5 role, wouldn't that free up Ledee to play some 4?

I think he will. He needs a year to get into college shape. I hope he surprises me.

The problem with Ledee at the 4 is- IMO, he would have a difficult time defending a lot of opposing 4s out on the floor.

Also, as I mentioned earlier. Don't be surprised to see Easley at the 5 some.

Last edited: