• The KillerFrogs

2021 Frogs Baseball....Draft is Over...Roster Kinda Set...

Punter1

Trying to start a good thread for the first time in four months...and I still have doubts this will get there...but I'm gonna at least try. Probably got a few of these wrong so I'll defer to Moose to check my work. We are gonna be LOADED next year.

2020 Weekend Starters
Johnny Ray - Returning SR
Charles King - Returning 5th year SR
Russell Smith - Returning SR

Tuesday Starter
Riley Corneilo - Returning Soph

Bullpen
Haylen Green: Returning 5th year SR
Austin Krob: Returning JR
Drew Hill: SR Probably returning
Harrison Beethe: SR Probably returning
Marcelo Perez: Returning JR
Jacob Meador: Returning Soph
Dalton Brown: Returning SR
Cal Coughlin: SR ??????

Lineup
1st Base/DH: Hunter Wolfe - 5th Year Senior MAYBE returning
2nd Base: Gray Rodgers - SR Probably returning
SS: Tommy Sacco - SR Probably returning
3B: Conner Shepherd: SR Probably returning
OF: Porter Brown: Returning JR
OF: Phillip Sykes: SR Probably returning
OF: Gene Wood: 5th year SR probably returning
C: Zach Humphreys: Returning 5th yr SR
1st Base/DH: Austin Henry: 5th Year Senior MAYBE returning

Bench: All returning
Bobby Goodloe, Sam Thompson, Kurtis Byrne,

Incoming Freshman
Cam Brown - Enrolling
Carter Baumler - Drafted in 5th Round ????
Everyone else should be enrolling.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

Thanks Punter!

Looking across the country - are other programs expecting the weird year to affect them in similar ways? IOW, are we uniquely loaded or is it going to be a nationwide trend/incredible but highly competitive year for college baseball?

MTfrog5

Thanks Punter!

Looking across the country - are other programs expecting the weird year to affect them in similar ways? IOW, are we uniquely loaded or is it going to be a nationwide trend/incredible but highly competitive year for college baseball?
Think it will be loaded. Bullpens are going to be insane

LeagueCityFrog

Looks like we are are going to be built very similar to that Costal Carolina senior heavy team that beat us at the CWS Semifinals a couple of years ago. I will assume Coach Schloss has another Durbin Feltman or Night Train Reily type closing pitcher to round out this 2021 team? We didn't have that in what I saw in the 2020 season games.

frogtex

Trying to start a good thread for the first time in four months...and I still have doubts this will get there...but I'm gonna at least try. Probably got a few of these wrong so I'll defer to Moose to check my work. We are gonna be LOADED next year.

2020 Weekend Starters
Charles Smith - Returning 5th year SR

Tuesday Starter

Bullpen

Lineup

Incoming Freshman
Cam Brown - Enrolling

You are missing some REALLY good incoming players....Nunez, Hierholzer, Wright...and two juco hitters that are outstanding players: Fitzgerald & English...Coughlin no longer in program...Beethe was turning into elite closer....Krob may be best prospect of anyone on team

Moose Stuff

2020 Weekend Starters
Charles Smith - Returning 5th year SR

Tuesday Starter

Bullpen

Lineup

Incoming Freshman
Cam Brown - Enrolling

Charles King, not Smith. And if he's in our weekend rotation next year something has gone horribly wrong. The more likely weekend rotation is Krob, Ray, Big Russ. And you've got the classification wrong on many of these guys. Everybody got a free redshirt this year basically.

Westsider

Dumb question. Does a Sr. who chooses to return have to play for his current team or can he take his extra year and enter the portal?

Punter1

Charles King, not Smith. And if he's in our weekend rotation next year something has gone horribly wrong. The more likely weekend rotation is Krob, Ray, Big Russ. And you've got the classification wrong on many of these guys. Everybody got a free redshirt this year basically.

No idea about the free RS year...and I really did like Krob last year. So do you think we may lose any of current guys or HS signees to the MLB during this post-draft free agency period??

Looks like we are gonna have an insaine amount of pitching...I wonder if with the expanded rosters next year they try to increase the # of games next year just to get players more exposure and reps. Maybe some doubleheaders early in the season??

froginmn

Will be interesting to see what the NCAA does with roster limits in future years (past this one). If nothing, it will limit the number of incoming freshmen. Seems like a phased approach makes sense, although schools may just trim the fat and/or limit juco transfers to replace injuries or transfers.

MTfrog5

Will be interesting to see what the NCAA does with roster limits in future years (past this one). If nothing, it will limit the number of incoming freshmen. Seems like a phased approach makes sense, although schools may just trim the fat and/or limit juco transfers to replace injuries or transfers.
Juco baseball will be fun again

Moose Stuff

No idea about the free RS year...and I really did like Krob last year. So do you think we may lose any of current guys or HS signees to the MLB during this post-draft free agency period??

Looks like we are gonna have an insaine amount of pitching...I wonder if with the expanded rosters next year they try to increase the # of games next year just to get players more exposure and reps. Maybe some doubleheaders early in the season??

I'd be very surprised if we lose anyone during this period. Zero chance they lose a HS kid. $20,000 isn't attractive at all to about 99.5% of any of these kids that are actually any good. The kids that will sign are 1) Not someone the staff wants to keep anyway 2) Kids with degrees that just don't want to go back to school 3) JUCO type kids that can't get into a 4 year school. There will be some exceptions to this but there is close to zero chance that kids like Ray/Smith would sign for $20,000 and that applies to kids like that at every program in the country .

Punter1

I'd be very surprised if we lose anyone during this period. Zero chance they lose a HS kid. $20,000 isn't attractive at all to about 99.5% of any of these kids that are actually any good. The kids that will sign are 1) Not someone the staff wants to keep anyway 2) Kids with degrees that just don't want to go back to school 3) JUCO type kids that can't get into a 4 year school. There will be some exceptions to this but there is close to zero chance that kids like Ray/Smith would sign for $20,000 and that applies to kids like that at every program in the country .

Kinda figured the the free agent period would be very quite underclassman and HS player wise...that $20k signing bonus is dam near an insult for dudes that would have been drafted otherwise.

Looks like UT, Tech, Baylor and OU got hit the hardest out of the Big 12 schools...each having a couple players drafted . Hopefully some of their degreed seniors decide to take the lowball offer and head to the pros.

Moose Stuff

Kinda figured the the free agent period would be very quite underclassman and HS player wise...that $20k signing bonus is dam near an insult for dudes that would have been drafted otherwise.

Looks like UT, Tech, Baylor and OU got hit the hardest out of the Big 12 schools...each having a couple players drafted . Hopefully some of their degreed seniors decide to take the lowball offer and head to the pros.

OSU lost Ben Leeper to the Cubs today.

Punter1

Dumb question. Does a Sr. who chooses to return have to play for his current team or can he take his extra year and enter the portal?

Gotta think he can enter the portal and be eligible immediately. D1baseball.com has a very comprehensive transfer tracker....its actually an awesome site all around with tons of good info.

Latest posts