• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Yup. Conte would have drawn the best out of McKinnie. Rivalry placed to the side momentarily, Spurs would’ve been a better spot for him b/c idk how he fits @ Atleti. Hopefully he lands somewhere where he can get regular matches with a manager who plays him and believes in him.
He's exactly what Tottenham needs in the center of the park and exactly the type of guy Conti would have maximized. I'm still hopeful that transfer happens this summer. Honestly, if the fee is high enough Juve could afford to keep Morata at Atleti's price.

I have to say it again, but I think this is Allegri's way of making it known McKennie is available for transfer and if enough clubs get interested they could really come out with more spending money in the end with Morata signed long term.

Purp

I know we benefit from this plenty, but FIFA really needs to tighten up the citizenship rules for internationals. A Mexican maternal grandmother gives you eligibility for the Mexican national team. The globe is a tiny place now. People move all over the world all the time. In another generation or so most players will have 2-3 national team options when they get to that level. It's absurd.

Purp

Didn’t they change that recently?….you’re still eligible for a one-time switch up to a certain age even with a senior level cap?
That and I think you can only be cap tied with 3 friendlies or a single cap in an international competition.

ETA: I found this excerpt explaining the rules change a couple years ago bc I knew something didn't sound right about what I said. This most recently came into play for us with Pepi. I remember hearing that he had to play in 3 matches for us to be cap-tied due to his age.

"Players can now switch national teams provided they were eligible to represent a second country at the time they first played for their first country, even if they have played in an official competition for the first nation.

This applies so long as they have played no more than three matches (including friendlies), none of the matches were in the final tournament of the FIFA World Cup or confederation competition, and they all happened before the player turned 21."

Last edited:

dawg

Personally, I am (was) hoping for Villareal to go through.

A Liverpool vs City match in the final is just meh to me at this point.
Yup. Really wanted Villareal to get through, and they played hell of a 60'. Liverpool are just relentless, though.

I don't think we have to worry about City-Liverpool verion 3.0 this year; Madrid don't make it a habit of losing European Cup semis in the Bernabéu.

dawg

Yup. Really wanted Villareal to get through, and they played hell of a 60'. Liverpool are just relentless, though.

I don't think we have to worry about City-Liverpool verion 3.0 this year; Madrid don't make it a habit of losing European Cup semis in the Bernabéu.
Yeah...about that...

Gene Simmons Stupidity GIF by TrueReal

Purp

We're darned. Just completely snake bit with injuries to key players.

Atlanta United probably need to review their training regimen and playing surface. They've had a ton of gruesome leg injuries to high profile players.

Moose Stuff

Atlanta United probably need to review their training regimen and playing surface. They've had a ton of gruesome leg injuries to high profile players.

Yep. Achilles. He’s done for 2022.

dawg

Yep. Achilles. He’s done for 2022.
Damn, that's a big loss. The MNT has zero luck in regards to injuries this year.

Purp

Huge opportunity for Chris Richards (I assume).
That's my guess too. And maybe a window for John Brooks to find another chance. Good news is we have great depth there. I just hate that Zimm and MRob have developed so much rapport with one another in 2021 and there are so few chances left for Zimm to develop the same chemistry with someone else.

I think that's the 3rd Achilles injury for Atlanta this season. They need to fix something.

Moose Stuff

That's my guess too. And maybe a window for John Brooks to find another chance. Good news is we have great depth there. I just hate that Zimm and MRob have developed so much rapport with one another in 2021 and there are so few chances left for Zimm to develop the same chemistry with someone else.

I think that's the 3rd Achilles injury for Atlanta this season. They need to fix something.
And I think the other two were goalies.