• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Moose Stuff

I mean it figures that we get what could be a golden generation, yet, they can’t seem to stay consistently healthy. Ugh.
I didn’t start following soccer as closely as I do until about 5 years ago (mostly because it’s so easy to find on TV now). I never realized how much these guys get hurt. Pulisic in particular would greatly benefit from about 10-15 pounds of muscle.

Chongo94

I didn’t start following soccer as closely as I do until about 5 years ago (mostly because it’s so easy to find on TV now). I never realized how much these guys get hurt. Pulisic in particular would greatly benefit from about 10-15 pounds of muscle.
Yeah, and I’m not sure if it is just a product of the modern or at least this era of the game, you know?

But when you do look at the injuries that our players seem to get most often, they do appear to be muscle or hamstring injuries, which seem to suggest your point, they could use a bit more build to their frames and or some weight training.

Purp

Yeah, and I’m not sure if it is just a product of the modern or at least this era of the game, you know?

But when you do look at the injuries that our players seem to get most often, they do appear to be muscle or hamstring injuries, which seem to suggest your point, they could use a bit more build to their frames and or some weight training.
I think there are two causes.

1) The volume of big matches these guys play at the top clubs and for their countries takes a serious toll. Especially the younger guys who aren't used to that type of physical toll over that many games.

2) I think a lot of these guys have been exclusively soccer players for ateast a decade when they're breaking through at top clubs in their late teens and early 20s. The soccer specific muscles are well developed, but the secondary and tertiary muscles needed for soccer movements aren't as well developed. This leads to other types of injuries and issues that aren't as common to the game. It also leads to injuries comparable to overuse injuries you see a lot with youngsters in baseball.

I love all the competitions these guys compete in, but I really think it's gotten to be too much.

Purp

This is disappointing if it happens. Just have to hope when we get Mexico at Azteca in March we have everyone healthy. I really want to see what our best 11 can do to Mexico at home. The good news is that I feel there's minimal drop-off from Pulisic/Reyna to Aaronson. The problem is who gets the other wing. I feel like it should be Weah, but I'm almost certain Berhalter will use Arriola there.

On the back line I really hope Scally gets a call. I want to see what he can do in Jamaica with this group and get him an early taste of national team duty. Prep needs to start now to have him ready for the World Cup.

Midfield doesn't have any shockers in it. The front line is interesting, though. A healthy Dike in form could be a huge revelation. But he could also be a huge bust. I'm interested to see how he can do in a qualifier against Jamaica, though. Gotta put Pepi on the pitch against Mexico. That's too special of a moment for him to miss out on. And the way he seems to produce in the biggest moments I just think he's tailor made for the Mexico fixture.

Sargent on the wing is also intriguing. I think we're coming to grips with his lack of production as a striker, but his hold-up play and work rate are really good. I honestly feel Sargent's best use would be as a false 9 in a 4-4-2 next to Pepi. I think Pepi would thrive with a big, strong worker winning balls near him and sending him through to space. With Pulisic and Gio out maybe now is the time to deploy that. Run your best 4 on the back line (A Rob, Brooks, M Rob, Dest) with Aaronson, Adams, McKennie, and Musah across the midfield in front of Pepi and Sargent. I think that would give Mexico problems.