• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Farmfrog

Chelsea with a nice win against Zenit. It’s nice to be able to play at less than top level and still win. Lukaku gives us a guy who can change the game in a blink of an eye.

Good to see Pefok get that late winner. The Atalanta v Villarreal was a fun game.

Eight

saw where usa soccer has said it will offer the members of the men's and women's teams the same contract so does that mean the women are giving up a base salary, no benefits, no subsidies for the women's pro league in the us, and team members are only paid while training and playing?

Purp

saw where usa soccer has said it will offer the members of the men's and women's teams the same contract so does that mean the women are giving up a base salary, no benefits, no subsidies for the women's pro league in the us, and team members are only paid while training and playing?
I haven't read too much into it yet, but I'm pretty sure I saw that it's dead on arrival. The women were going to reject it b/c they're saying it's not really the same. Supposedly there's a claim by the USSF that FIFA controls how World Cup monies are distributed and not the federations so they can't reduce shares from that pool of money for the men to increase shares for the women. The women's union rejected that claim and told Parlow to go shut up and color. I don't know how true any of that is, but it's utterly ridiculous for the women to pretend like they are entitled to any share of the men's FIFA World Cup payouts. My gut tells me this was a smart play by the USSF to make this overture knowing it would be rejected to further illustrate the absurdity of this very public and childish fight. Part of me is a little worried that Parlow, a former player, may also be using her position to back the men into a corner. I've not read enough on it either way to form a conclusive opinion.

I will say this, though... If the men's payouts are reduced to elevate the women to equal pay I will be a new kind of pissed off when we start losing every dual national b/c he can make more in his other country than here.

Eight

I haven't read too much into it yet, but I'm pretty sure I saw that it's dead on arrival. The women were going to reject it b/c they're saying it's not really the same. Supposedly there's a claim by the USSF that FIFA controls how World Cup monies are distributed and not the federations so they can't reduce shares from that pool of money for the men to increase shares for the women. The women's union rejected that claim and told Parlow to go shut up and color. I don't know how true any of that is, but it's utterly ridiculous for the women to pretend like they are entitled to any share of the men's FIFA World Cup payouts. My gut tells me this was a smart play by the USSF to make this overture knowing it would be rejected to further illustrate the absurdity of this very public and childish fight. Part of me is a little worried that Parlow, a former player, may also be using her position to back the men into a corner. I've not read enough on it either way to form a conclusive opinion.

I will say this, though... If the men's payouts are reduced to elevate the women to equal pay I will be a new kind of pissed off when we start losing every dual national b/c he can make more in his other country than here.

set off a "small" disagreement in my household when i mentioned that it is interesting that the men have to win seven sets more and possibly play a significant number more sets over the same number of days as the women to get the same prize money at the us open tennis tournament

the simple answer to me for soccer is the us split federation as some other countries have done and let the women reap this so called windfall they should be getting from their success

Moose Stuff

set off a "small" disagreement in my household when i mentioned that it is interesting that the men have to win seven sets more and possibly play a significant number more sets over the same number of days as the women to get the same prize money at the us open tennis tournament

the simple answer to me for soccer is the us split federation as some other countries have done and let the women reap this so called windfall they should be getting from their success

Yeah, I’d be totally OK with separating the federations from each other. I’m rapidly losing interest in our women’s team.

Purp

It'll never happen bc the women's domestic league would fold instantly without the subsidies, but I agree it's the best thing to do.

Eight

It'll never happen bc the women's domestic league would fold instantly without the subsidies, but I agree it's the best thing to do.

but, but, but they are more popular than the men and been more successful.

how is it possible people aren't going to those league games and watching on television?

Eight

alex morgan on the new proposal:

"Alex Morgan says the U.S. women's national team needs to make sure players aren't losing any of their existing compensation under the identical contract proposals the U.S. Soccer Federation has made to both the men's and women's teams.

But the team is hopeful for a new collective bargaining agreement that will address players' concerns about equitable pay, she said.

“We still need to chat about the statement given by US Soccer. But any commitment to equal pay publicly is good,” Morgan said Wednesday. "However, we need to look line by line at what they’re actually providing, because if you have equal but it’s not even what we got before, or to the value that we are, then we still consider that to be not good enough.” "

wait, i was under the impression they weren't getting as much as the men, but now she says that they need to make sure that "equal" means they aren't getting less than their current contract?

Purp

alex morgan on the new proposal:

"Alex Morgan says the U.S. women's national team needs to make sure players aren't losing any of their existing compensation under the identical contract proposals the U.S. Soccer Federation has made to both the men's and women's teams.

But the team is hopeful for a new collective bargaining agreement that will address players' concerns about equitable pay, she said.

“We still need to chat about the statement given by US Soccer. But any commitment to equal pay publicly is good,” Morgan said Wednesday. "However, we need to look line by line at what they’re actually providing, because if you have equal but it’s not even what we got before, or to the value that we are, then we still consider that to be not good enough.” "

wait, i was under the impression they weren't getting as much as the men, but now she says that they need to make sure that "equal" means they aren't getting less than their current contract?
Based on the way she handled herself around all the absurdity during the Olympics I think she's one of the most level headed in the group and is saying exactly what you said. I read this as her trying to thread the needle that we're actually getting a damned good deal already to provide her obnoxiously loud teammates an out to publicly celebrate an equal pay victory.

Again, I think this could be a truly brilliant play by the federation to put this thing to bed. I'm not sure how much I trust Parlow, though, given the fact that she's a former player. I have no idea whether she has a penchant for activism or not.

Purp

This will be an interesting series to follow. I love how Steffen at City sounds, but he's not playing and that's hurting him and us. And Horvath not even getting minutes for Nottingham Forest is another kick in the nads. Our GK rotation looked super talented and crazy deep this summer, but we haven't seen 2/3 of those guys play a match since their last USMNT appearances. That's frustrating. I really wonder what every club in Europe sees when they evaluate Horvath b/c the upside he showed in the Nations League was yuge. Turner is great, but I don't like him as our #1 given Berhalter's desire to play out of the back. That's definitely not Turner's game.

https://sbisoccer.com/2021/09/usmnt-depth-chart-ranking-the-goalkeepers

Purp

Here's another one to keep our eyes on. The top end talent in our player pool grows by the month, quite literally. It seems like we have a new top prospect every month this year. It's been a fun ride to follow them.

The right back position was already loaded and getting to be more so now. The fact that he played on the left against Bayern and performed well may be a great sign for our depth at that position too. I'm not sure I want to see Dest over there anymore and we're really thin behind Robinson. Vines has shown flashes, but isn't there yet. If this kid can perform admirably against Lewandowski and Sane at left back then he's definitely got potential in that position.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/joe...starring-bundesliga/lj86n1cauu7q1s50fpkjqlj65

Eight

Similarly for Dest, I hope he gets out of there before the wheels come off. It sounds great to have players at Juve and Barca, but I don't see either club thriving again for quite some time.

Barcelona's poor form isn't an anomaly but a reminder of how far the Spanish giants have fallen - Sid Lowe http://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelon...-is-no-surprise-as-pique-saysit-is-what-it-is http://espn.com/app

so you are saying uncontrolled spending in sport simply to stay ahead of a rival engaged in the same behavior is a bad thing in the long run

Purp

just toss it in with the rest of the debt being carried by the spanish government​

https://commodity.com/data/spain/debt-clock/

not an econ major so can someone clarify if national debt being 123% of gdp is a good or bad thing?​
123%? That's better than we are. And that's before we account for unfunded liabilities. We're over $80 trillion when you add unfunded liabilities to debt. And if you use an infinite horizon like this 6 year old Forbes article suggests we're probably close to $300 trillion by now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlik...&utm_medium=ED&utm_source=for&sh=7c95100b4d17

Eight

123%? That's better than we are. And that's before we account for unfunded liabilities. We're over $80 trillion when you add unfunded liabilities to debt. And if you use an infinite horizon like this 6 year old Forbes article suggests we're probably close to $300 trillion by now.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlik...&utm_medium=ED&utm_source=for&sh=7c95100b4d17

the spanish also exclude unfunded pension liabilities etc.....and when you consider the age at which an individual is eligible i would imagine that will significantly increase their national level of debt, but your point is well taken

no worries though, we are going to spend our way out of this hole

Purp

the spanish also exclude unfunded pension liabilities etc.....and when you consider the age at which an individual is eligible i would imagine that will significantly increase their national level of debt, but your point is well taken

no worries though, we are going to spend our way out of this hole
The article I posted emphasizes that we don't account for unfunded liabilities of state and local governments even if/when we account for them at the "federal" level. And when you account for them in their future value at the time the costs will be incurred it's an ungodly number. Just a stunning reality that will some day come home to roost.