• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

I hope Pulisic bags a hat trick and City wins. I don't have any City friends, but my Chelsea friends are obnoxious. Don't want to deal with that.

Not a hat trick, but I thought it was pretty cool he wore his MNT sweatshirt on the pitch to inspire kids in the States to chase their deals and prove it is possible. Have I mentioned yet that I’m really optimistic about 2026?

Purp

1-1 10 minutes in. It amuses me that Switzerland has a dude named Ricardo Rodriguez.
1st half was entertaining. I like McKenzie so far. Lletget has been very noticeable. Missing the partnership between Dest and Pulisic. Aaronson has been good, but it's obvious Dest is missing something on the left side.

Purp

I think Adams may be the most important player missing today. With Cannon and Dest playing that high and free on the wings the #6 is vital to protecting the center backs. I thought Brooks and McKenzie did pretty well for the most part, but they were asked to do far more than they should have had to do. And I like Aaronson a lot, but he's no Pulisic.

Musah was impactfuul when he came on, but so was Lletget. I feel like Musah is more athletic and useful box to box, but Lletget was more threatening around goal.

I enjoyed the game and there were a lot of fantastic bits of possession today, but we still have some work to do to avoid giving up too many transition opportunities. I love the potential of this group, though.

Last edited:

Purp

I think we all knew this would be the case, but now official dominoes are beginning to fall. I'm worried our Gold Cup squads will look more like our Olympic qualifying squad than our Nation's League squad. There will certainly be talented players in the Gold Cup, but I'm not sure it's going to be more than our B- side. Might even be a C+ group, which is disappointing. But when you have as many players as we do currently playing in so many competitions in Europe from August through the end of May I doubt we're going to see a very competitive group taken to the Gold Cup anymore.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/usm...-in-the-gold-cup-by/1h1271leex0r1msgihfiv47zz

Purp

I'm not sure I like this move. While it would certainly expose him to a higher caliber of player/opponent every week I've thought he'd get an opportunity with a bigger side with a greater chance for the top half of the table in a major league than a newly promoted club in Italy. I hope he remains patient b/c he should be capable of more than this. Also very interested to see where Hoppe and Sargent ultimately land. Dike is another one I'd expect to be in a European top flight next year.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/ser...-next-level-after-/1wtciwc12vta41dclgl7xcq5ln

Purp

Anyone watching USA/Honduras?
I watched until the 63rd and had to leave. Finished a little while ago. A few thoughts...

First, I love that studio crew. Charlie Davies was so great in the Confed Cup in 09. His car accident in DC may have set the Nats back for 2 WC cycles. Glad to see him involved again. Also love Deuce and Gooch. I could have watched them talk about the game and the team for twice as long.

Yiuell and Lletget were awful. Yiuell made every pass behind the intended target and Lletget seemed a step behind the world class players surrounding him. Put Adams and Musah in those spots and I think the game is totally different.

I thought Robinson was impressive. I'm more open to Dest on the right after his performance tonight.

Two biggest plays of the game were off the heads of our two center forwards. Sargent with the save of the game and Siebetieu with a hell of a snap header to win it. Sargent did a ton of great things tonight. I really love him as a player, but he's not a #9. I hope he can learn to find those goal poaching spots he needs to find to light up the score sheet. I'd start Siebetieu in the final.

Reyna was fantastic. He may end up being better than Pulisic.

Dest has some defensive weaknesses showing this week against Switzerland and Honduras. He's so dynamic offensively, butbhe really puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on his center backs at times.

I do like the partnership between Brooks and McKenzie. Two consecutive solid performances from them.

All in all it's disappointing to need an 89th minute super sub strike to beat Honduras, but there's so much potential in the group and they're only going to get better. Can't wait for the final.

Chongo94

I watched until the 63rd and had to leave. Finished a little while ago. A few thoughts...

First, I love that studio crew. Charlie Davies was so great in the Confed Cup in 09. His car accident in DC may have set the Nats back for 2 WC cycles. Glad to see him involved again. Also love Deuce and Gooch. I could have watched them talk about the game and the team for twice as long.

Yiuell and Lletget were awful. Yiuell made every pass behind the intended target and Lletget seemed a step behind the world class players surrounding him. Put Adams and Musah in those spots and I think the game is totally different.

I thought Robinson was impressive. I'm more open to Dest on the right after his performance tonight.

Two biggest plays of the game were off the heads of our two center forwards. Sargent with the save of the game and Siebetieu with a hell of a snap header to win it. Sargent did a ton of great things tonight. I really love him as a player, but he's not a #9. I hope he can learn to find those goal poaching spots he needs to find to light up the score sheet. I'd start Siebetieu in the final.

Reyna was fantastic. He may end up being better than Pulisic.

Dest has some defensive weaknesses showing this week against Switzerland and Honduras. He's so dynamic offensively, butbhe really puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on his center backs at times.

I do like the partnership between Brooks and McKenzie. Two consecutive solid performances from them.

All in all it's disappointing to need an 89th minute super sub strike to beat Honduras, but there's so much potential in the group and they're only going to get better. Can't wait for the final.

I just don’t understand your love of Sargent. He’s alright but really looks like another Altidore to me albeit with more upside perhaps.
He does some things well but he can’t score to save his life.

Chongo94

I'm not sure I like this move. While it would certainly expose him to a higher caliber of player/opponent every week I've thought he'd get an opportunity with a bigger side with a greater chance for the top half of the table in a major league than a newly promoted club in Italy. I hope he remains patient b/c he should be capable of more than this. Also very interested to see where Hoppe and Sargent ultimately land. Dike is another one I'd expect to be in a European top flight next year.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/ser...-next-level-after-/1wtciwc12vta41dclgl7xcq5ln

Not a fan of this either, or at least not to Spezia. Think he’d be better served developing at Boavista another year or two.

Purp

I just don’t understand your love of Sargent. He’s alright but really looks like another Altidore to me albeit with more upside perhaps.
He does some things well but he can’t score to save his life.
I don't love him as a #9. I loved McBride and Sargent is the same type of player, but way better. Bad news for Sargent is I don't see a position for that type of player in Berhalter's system. But he's responsible for a lot of high possession that we used to not get bc Jozy was lazy. He makes defenders work and makes his other forwards better as a result.

Purp

Mexico and Costa Rica in PKs. Mexico missed their first.

This one got very nasty in the 2nd half. Mexico is so damned dirty.

Purp

He is a big boy. Far larger than I thought. Stick him up there more often and defenders would be black and blue.

Also, we are very very average.
I think a better way to say this is we're very young. We show a lot of flashes of brilliance. But we're very inconsistent and make a lot of young mistakes.