• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Mourinho going to Roma. Ugh. I hate that for Bryan Reynolds.

Wellll, if there’s one thing he knows how to coach or used to know how to coach, it’s defense, so there’s that...

But, he also seems to hate to use or rely on youngsters, so there’s that...

BUT, they may not have much money for transfers, so there’s that...

So within all that there’s that, I’ve got no idea.

hiphopfroggy

Wellll, if there’s one thing he knows how to coach or used to know how to coach, it’s defense, so there’s that...

As a Roma fan I am conflicted. Reports were that Roma were close to signing Sarri and having loved his style of play at Napoli, some of the most beautiful football I have ever seen, I would have been stoked for Sarri. He has had more recent success and his style seems more aligned with modern football. However, Mourinho overall has had more success and Conte has come back strong at Inter so who knows, I'll take it as a sign new management is ready to spend. If he brings on De Rossi as an assistant as is being reported and is able to keep Zaniolo then I'd say Roma have got something brewing.

Purp

I'm beginning to think Mourinho caught lightning in a bottle to gain notoriety and will never be able to put it all together again quite the same way. It was more of a luck thing than actual brilliance. Sports is filled with tons of coaches who have early success at lower levels early on and, after working their way up, very few have as much success at the highest level. And of the ones who do continue that success at higher levels, even fewer sustain it and can replicate it at multiple stops. I think Mourinho is one of those.

hiphopfroggy

I'm beginning to think Mourinho caught lightning in a bottle to gain notoriety and will never be able to put it all together again quite the same way. It was more of a luck thing than actual brilliance. Sports is filled with tons of coaches who have early success at lower levels early on and, after working their way up, very few have as much success at the highest level. And of the ones who do continue that success at higher levels, even fewer sustain it and can replicate it at multiple stops. I think Mourinho is one of those.

Naw he has had too much success in too many different places for this to be the case. Question is can he adopt to the modern game of the last few years.

Purp

Naw he has had too much success in too many different places for this to be the case. Question is can he adopt to the modern game of the last few years.
His last few stops have been utterly uninspiring, if not completely dreadful. And each of those at clubs with no dearth of talent or finances. Even when he had success at Chelsea (the first time), it was awful boring footy to watch. His teams tried to deploy the CGP axiom win by 1 every week. I don't think he has it anymore and I have started to wonder if he ever really had it to begin with or just stumbled into the right situations at the right times.

hiphopfroggy

His last few stops have been utterly uninspiring, if not completely dreadful. And each of those at clubs with no dearth of talent or finances. Even when he had success at Chelsea (the first time), it was awful boring footy to watch. His teams tried to deploy the CGP axiom win by 1 every week. I don't think he has it anymore and I have started to wonder if he ever really had it to begin with or just stumbled into the right situations at the right times.

Yea I said that I understand he hasn't had recent success and that I preferred Sarri for this reason as well as Sarri's Napoli teams. But you can't say Mourinho got lucky and captured lightning in a bottle. That is just flat out false. Lighting strikes once not over and over and over again. Like I said the question is if he can adapt to the modern football game of the last few years because he hasn't proven that he can.

Chongo94

Yea I said that I understand he hasn't had recent success and that I preferred Sarri for this reason as well as Sarri's Napoli teams. But you can't say Mourinho got lucky and captured lightning in a bottle. That is just flat out false. Lighting strikes once not over and over and over again. Like I said the question is if he can adapt to the modern football game of the last few years because he hasn't proven that he can.

Yeah, anyone that can win the UCL with Porto during the last 20 years is most definitely not a bum of a manager.

hiphopfroggy

Ugh, what a scheiss UCL final this will be.

Go Chelsea for Pulisic I guess but that’s about it. I probably won’t even watch.

Nice assist for Pulisic, he's looked good since coming on. Will be fun to watch the first American in the Champions League final. But yea not thrilled about 2 English clubs.

Eight

That's a low bar for this recent class of young national team guys.

isn't it amazing the level of skill now being displayed by american players in some of the very best leagues around the world

landon for all his faults was the best we had at the time, but could he start for us team now?