• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

CryptoMiner

Anyone know if the redshirt 4 game rule also applies to JUCO?..I know new commit Brandon Coleman took a first year redshirt at TVCC so he has 3 to play, but did he also get to appear in 4 games there his first year?

No NCJAA rules have always been any participation in a contest counts as a season and still do.

Froggish

I watched Nowell’s video and noticed that he actually catches balls thrown to him. Sooooo ........ upgrade.

Nowell is a talent...Plainview is ranked 3rd in 3A....He had 10 catches for 161 yards and 2 TDs in a narrow loss to #1 ranked 4A Tuttle. 70 Yard TD catch and a kickoff return for a score. Plainview QB completed 19 passes on the night w/ 10 going to Blake..

CryptoMiner

I watched Nowell’s video and noticed that he actually catches balls thrown to him. Sooooo ........ upgrade.

So his highlights didn't show any dropped balls?

Nowell has some great ability and can extend to high point the ball very well. Think he will really be an assets in a few years. Will be fun to watch and I just have to quit mispronouncing his name.

Eight

Really needed a JUCO OT...Next year OL is going to be green.

i agree a quality juco ot prospect is a great get.

not ready to make a call on just what the 2020 offensive line is going to look like. frogs are only 2 games into the 2019 season and there is a great deal of football to be played this year.

consider that for a 10,000 foot perspective on the 2020 line right now the frogs look to return:

quazzell white
austin myers
coy mcmillon

all three currently are starting or saw regular minutes rotating in the offensive line

hopefully at some point wes harris will get healthy and play this year, the frogs get back ian burnette, and kelton hollins is still on the roster.

mix in a prospect like coker and a few others and there are some quality parts.

no, none of those right now might not compare to the tandem of mckinney and niang at tackle, but remember that if anyone had come on this board last year at this time and said david bolisomi would be starting at right guard and coy mcmillon would be starting at center i think they would have been called crazy.

stbrab

i agree a quality juco ot prospect is a great get.

not ready to make a call on just what the 2020 offensive line is going to look like. frogs are only 2 games into the 2019 season and there is a great deal of football to be played this year.

consider that for a 10,000 foot perspective on the 2020 line right now the frogs look to return:

quazzell white
austin myers
coy mcmillon

all three currently are starting or saw regular minutes rotating in the offensive line

hopefully at some point wes harris will get healthy and play this year, the frogs get back ian burnette, and kelton hollins is still on the roster.

mix in a prospect like coker and a few others and there are some quality parts.

no, none of those right now might not compare to the tandem of mckinney and niang at tackle, but remember that if anyone had come on this board last year at this time and said david bolisomi would be starting at right guard and coy mcmillon would be starting at center i think they would have been called crazy.
Just goes to show each year is different. Players develop at different paces. I think at times we forget that.

CryptoMiner

JUCO DE starting to get noticed:

Tyren Irby 6-4/245 Northwest Mississippi CC recently offered by OKSt School is off to a 3-0 start and Irby has been a beast on defense. Playing Co-Lin tonight and staff has interest in several players on both teams.

Purp

I agree, it’s not just us. I would just like to see us develop a little bit less of a swing. 16 awful, 17 great, 18 awful, 19 starting off great. I feel like we should level out a little.
I think the hard part is developing a guy without him playing a lot in games. Last year I think we really started to get the OL issues figured out toward the end of the season. Having the right guy at center makes a big difference too so hopefully McMillon can stay healthy for us and give us a lot of continuity on the OL over the next few years. The 4-1 run to finish last season doesn't happen with the OL from the first 5 games of the season. That tells me the talent was there, but the experience wasn't.

It's starting to feel like we're hitting on more talented OL recruits and seeing them perform earlier, though. Coker is already getting rave reviews, McMillon is starting as a sophomore, Wes Harris was thought to be a possible starter before getting injured, and Quazzel was good enough to make it a tough decision between him and McKinney to start at LT. We have several young OL guys who are more highly regarded in their first year or two than we've seen in past years.

I think the key is returning 3 or more on the OL every year so you can return enough continuity from one year to the next that it's easier to integrate the 1-2 new guys. When you lose 4 starters you should expect a drop in production at least starting the next year. Based on the current depth chart we'll lose 4 off of this year's starting OL so hopefully those younger guys can get a lot of experience this year to minimize the production drop to start next year.

It's really hard for me to buy the argument that we don't develop OL well, though. How do we have so many in the NFL if that's really true? They didn't come to TCU as can't-miss NFL prospects. Coker might be our first on the fringe of NFL expectations when he got on campus as a freshman.

Wexahu

It's really hard for me to buy the argument that we don't develop OL well, though. How do we have so many in the NFL if that's really true? They didn't come to TCU as can't-miss NFL prospects. Coker might be our first on the fringe of NFL expectations when he got on campus as a freshman.

I'd argue that we've developed OL better than any other offensive position.....by far.

The old saying that the offensive line makes everyone else look better than they are? More like our QB and WR play has been so poor that it's made the OL appear worse than they are.

Eight

The problem is we haven’t developed year to year consistency on the OL..We go from good to terrible and back every other year.

two things are required to smooth the transition in the offenisve line when you have player turnover.

quality depth and proper teaching of effective technique

we have talked about the issues in depth since tcu has joined the big 12 multiple times. i don't think it is hyperbole to say that for the first time in the 8 years of big 12 the frogs have some depth in the offensive line.

yes, there might be some drop off at a few positions right now between starter and back-up, but there is talent in that second line and for the first time since i can recall we saw some fall camp competition for playing time.

who after the season last year felt the frogs would be better in the interior line this year because tcu returned mcmillon and bolisomi? both guys busted their asses in the s&c program, you can see the technique work, and when the opportunity presented itself in the fall they took control of the position.

when i think about that arc for coy and david, review the talent that projects to 2020, recognized we still have a long time this year for other younger players to play and develop, and knowing a quality juco prospect like coleman will be on campus next spring i am optimistic about next year (but don't want to rush through this season quit yet)

JockO de Frog

We always talk about how the OL determines good QB play or poor QB play. However, often times an OL can look poor or good depending on the QB. A QB who does not panic and run allows the OL to focus on blocks to create a pocket. A dual threat QB who takes off running when the pocket starts to compact, makes it much more difficult for the OL to maintain there block. That has really stood out this year when watching Burrow at LSU and Lawrence at Clemson. This is another reason why I like what I see in Duggan because he stays in the pocket to the last second. Yes, he has been sacked a few too many times but I think that is a product of not just getting rid of the ball as he should. Yet, he is athletic enough to run when necessary.

Frog-in-law1995

Anyone know if the redshirt 4 game rule also applies to JUCO?..I know new commit Brandon Coleman took a first year redshirt at TVCC so he has 3 to play, but did he also get to appear in 4 games there his first year?

That’s a new rule this year, anyway.

edit: or last year, I guess. Time flies.