• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Eight

newton beat west orange stark last night 20-14 to run their win streak to 33 games.

wos is/was ranked #3 in the class of 4a and had earlier beaten 5a nederland so another impressive win for 3a newton.

the box score i saw had wos with less than 100 yards rushing and only 7 points until late in the game. i haven't talked to anyone who went to the game, but would think sylvester had to contribute to hold wos to 14.

one final thing, the board i go to check scores from east texas has quite a few people from newton who post and without fail they can not mention darwin barlow or josh foster without saying that as good a players as they were they are even better people.

one guy simply said you can replace players, but you can't replace they type of people foster and barlow have been to the program and the community.

Moose Stuff

For those that don’t look at 247..... they rank our current class 8th in the Big 12 due to low numbers (always thought there has to be a better way to rank it). As an example, Kansas is 4th because they have 26 kids as opposed to our 12. That being said we are comfortably at #3 in the conference behind OU and UT when you just look at average stars per recruit. Also, Baylor is dead last, which is funny.

MTfrog5

For those that don’t look at 247..... they rank our current class 8th in the Big 12 due to low numbers (always thought there has to be a better way to rank it). As an example, Kansas is 4th because they have 26 kids as opposed to our 12. That being said we are comfortably at #3 in the conference behind OU and UT when you just look at average stars per recruit. Also, Baylor is dead last, which is funny.
And our lowest, Holiday and Nowell, might be the two I’m most excited about. Coleman also received a bump from 85 to 86 after he committed

Froggish

Anyone know if the redshirt 4 game rule also applies to JUCO?..I know new commit Brandon Coleman took a first year redshirt at TVCC so he has 3 to play, but did he also get to appear in 4 games there his first year?

MinFrog

IMO, the OL is a numbers game. So difficult to project at the next level. Most of the guys we have put in the league were lower rated prospects (Big V is the exception).

You need to get guys in and give them two years to see where they pan out.

Froggish

IMO, the OL is a numbers game. So difficult to project at the next level. Most of the guys we have put in the league were lower rated prospects (Big V is the exception).

You need to get guys in and give them two years to see where they pan out.

Very true.... Time is a big deal for OL...JC guys are a little different though..In theory they shouldn't need the kind of time a true Freshman does. Generally you don't offer JC guys unless you have a massive hole or you feel he can play reasonably quickly. Coleman will arrive with 2 years of JC under his belt but 3 years to play. If it takes a year in the system for the light on come on then so be it.

Purp

Very true.... Time is a big deal for OL...JC guys are a little different though..In theory they shouldn't need the kind of time a true Freshman does. Generally you don't offer JC guys unless you have a massive hole or you feel he can play reasonably quickly. Coleman will arrive with 2 years of JC under his belt but 3 years to play. If it takes a year in the system for the light on come on then so be it.
This guy may be on a steeper learning curve than most JUCO kids. It sounds like he only played one year of high school ball so he may be quite similar to Justin Rogers in that he's going to be very raw in terms of experience. His size is great, but he may also benefit from a year of fitness in our program as well. I will be more surprised if he starts in his first year than if he doesn't. If he does start here next year I think we may be looking at a special talent given his lack of experience and weight/fitness training. Early success for him will indicate an immense amount of native talent.