• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Eight

Blow to DT recruiting as Kenean Caldwell goes to KU.

kansas really as very little depth at defensive tackle as 5 of the 6 d-tackles they have signed in their last 4 classes are juco's.

miles' ties to the area plus a wide open depth chart gives kansas an edge right now, but i am not so sure caldwell couldn't be pulled from ku.

Eight

I’d imagine Miles still has a pretty good relationship with coaches from Louisiana. Would be a bigger loss if this was a position of need. Still a long day to signing day. With how many committed this weekend for KU, I bet they will have some of those leave when they visit other schools.

i agree there is a very long time until signing day and right now les has a great story to tell because his kansas' team has yet to play a game. he can flash his title ring, talk about all the games he won at lsu, and all the kids he has put into the pros.

osu isn't even in these kids' minds, but if kansas gets thumped a bit this upcoming season and a few players like caldwell get more and more attention it might be tough to keep the class in place.

as far as tcu, they need to sign a quality d-tackle prospect, but aisde from broughton and wright texas looks to be down this year unless a few guys have great senior seasons and really outside sec territory and the east coast this year right now looks to be down at defensive tackle.

Eight

WVU..Claiming to have signed a 5star Kicker...Is it even possible for a kicker to be ranked 5 stars?

don 't know about 5-stars, but do recall all the hoopla over florida state going to colorado to sign the greatest kicking prospect off all time scott bentley .

bentley made the cover of si last last summer of early fall and was supposed to be the missing piece for a fsu that had lost to miami in 1991 and 1992 after nole kickers missed last second field goals.

scott had a rough start missing a number of kicks early, but did make a late fg to beat nebraska and give bowden his first national title.

Hell Sent Frog

Did you just site beating a mediocre Cal in a mediocre bowl as proof positive of the momentum we have going into early recruiting season? Just wanted to make sure that's what I read.

No to your question, but I thought the bowl win over another one of the original Pac-12 programs like Cal was big, a nice follow up to our other recent bowl wins over Oregon and Stanford.
With the bowl victory, TCU has the longest winning streak in the Big 12 at three games.

TCU is not in a weak position with regards to it's football recruiting for 2020.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Perhaps but there is no denying that the introduction of an early signing period has been a game changer. It’s mashed the gas on recruiting
I'm not sure it's been a "game changer" as you put it. Things are different for sure as far as the process for the kids and coaches are now a little busier in December, but I'm not sure there is much of an actual difference in where kids end up. It just becomes official a little sooner. Before early signing started, then most recruiting classes were close to complete in December anyway, they just couldn't officially sign until February.

Eight

I'm not sure it's been a "game changer" as you put it. Things are different for sure as far as the process for the kids and coaches are now a little busier in December, but I'm not sure there is much of an actual difference in where kids end up. It just becomes official a little sooner. Before early signing started, then most recruiting classes were close to complete in December anyway, they just couldn't officially sign until February.

i think the biggest difference with the early signing date is the emphasis of getting a player on campus before the start of the prospects fall season. summer has become more and more critical due to challenges that can present themselves simply because the prospect is involved with their high school team.

take caldwell as an example. oak grove played in the state finals last year which was through the first weekend of december. the early signing date this year is december 18th this year so if they had similar success this year that leaves little time for an on campus visit.

he could visit during the season and the kansas home game would seem to be the perfect game to invite him to come visit. the challenge comes into play if that game is a day game as oak grove is in the northeast corner of louisiana

i would think for this reason it is more important to get caldwell on campus this summer now with the early signing date than in the past when kids signed in february.

Eight

I know it's early, and I know GP and his staff do a great job of recruiting, however, it is a little sad to see the list of Top 50 football recruits from DFW for 2020 in today's startlegram, and there isn't a single commit to TCU.

ou has been absolutely killing it this year in the metroplex and texas is getting more traction by leveraging ra'shaad samples in the metroplex in a similar way that texas has used bryan carrington to recruit in the houston area.

schools like bama, clemson, uga, ohio state, lsu, continue to cherry pick, other schools seem to have inroads, and for whatever reason tcu struggles to get respect.