• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

texas_sicilian

Without going in to too much detail the coach implied that Austin would be a challenge because he would have to learn to compete there. Doesn’t play well with a kid that feels he has worked his tail off to get where he’s gotten.
Oh gee, idiotic reverse psychology. What amateur recruiting tactic.

FrogCoach84

Not sure that’s something he should have been offended by. Any kid who thinks competing at the HS level and competing at the college level are even remotely similar is in for a rude rude awakening.

Agree with you on the jump in competition with the jump in levels.

Also have to understand a kids background and the challenges they have overcome to get where they are. The coach came at him with the competing line saying it would be something he hasn’t had to do before.

Nothing irreparable but just notes how important it is to build relationships and really work to understand these kids. One of the things I think many TCU coaches are very good at. Truly believe this staff works their tails off to get to know their recruits and families and not just see them as a 40 time or a height and weight.

Not the only staff that gets “it” that way but in my time being in the rooms with coaches recruiting my guys TCU staff is always one of the best at building those relationships.

And no my guys aren’t at North Shore but good friends with a few of the staff there.

Moose Stuff

Agree with you on the jump in competition with the jump in levels.

Also have to understand a kids background and the challenges they have overcome to get where they are. The coach came at him with the competing line saying it would be something he hasn’t had to do before.

Nothing irreparable but just notes how important it is to build relationships and really work to understand these kids. One of the things I think many TCU coaches are very good at. Truly believe this staff works their tails off to get to know their recruits and families and not just see them as a 40 time or a height and weight.

Not the only staff that gets “it” that way but in my time being in the rooms with coaches recruiting my guys TCU staff is always one of the best at building those relationships.

And no my guys aren’t at North Shore but good friends with a few of the staff there.

I get all that for sure. I guess my impression of our staff is that they wouldn’t have told him anything much different. We seem to be a no nonsense group so telling a kid he’s gonna have to compete in ways he hasn’t before seems OK to me. I guess without witnessing the actual exchange for context of why/how it was said it’s hard to say whether or not the kid is justified to feel the way he does.

CountryFrog

I get all that for sure. I guess my impression of our staff is that they wouldn’t have told him anything much different. We seem to be a no nonsense group so telling a kid he’s gonna have to compete in ways he hasn’t before seems OK to me. I guess without witnessing the actual exchange for context of why/how it was said it’s hard to say whether or not the kid is justified to feel the way he does.
Your last sentence there is the key to all of this and with every recruit. I know fans love talking about this stuff (especially on message boards) and there's nothing at all wrong with that but none of us have even close to enough information to be making judgments about things that the staff or each individual athlete are doing in recruiting. Why they waited to offer this kid, why they never offered this other kid, why they offered someone we've never heard of over the 5 star guy, why that one de-committed, why we stopped pursuing that other one.

There's so much speculation and just flat out bad information out there on all this stuff that trying to make sense of it all as a fan is totally pointless imo. Some people enjoy the speculation, though, and that's certainly ok.

Wexahu

Your last sentence there is the key to all of this and with every recruit. I know fans love talking about this stuff (especially on message boards) and there's nothing at all wrong with that but none of us have even close to enough information to be making judgments about things that the staff or each individual athlete are doing in recruiting. Why they waited to offer this kid, why they never offered this other kid, why they offered someone we've never heard of over the 5 star guy, why that one de-committed, why we stopped pursuing that other one.

There's so much speculation and just flat out bad information out there on all this stuff that trying to make sense of it all as a fan is totally pointless imo. Some people enjoy the speculation, though, and that's certainly ok.

At the root of all the fan angst is that people assume a kid ranked .9103 by 247 is “better” than a kid ranked .8739. There could be a 4-star kid our staff has no interest in and a 2-star kid they lose sleep over and generally all we care about is getting the higher ranked kid so we can “win” in the recruiting rankings.

Last edited:

PO Frog

At the root of all the fan angst is that people assume a kid ranked .9103 by 247 is “better” than a kid ranked .8739. There could be a 4-star kid our staff has no interest in and a 2-star kid they lose sleep over and all generally all we care about is getting the higher ranked kid so we can “win” in the recruiting rankings.
Sort of. Generally “winning” in recruiting rankings is necessary but not sufficient to winning a national title.

Froggish

At the root of all the fan angst is that people assume a kid ranked .9103 by 247 is “better” than a kid ranked .8739. There could be a 4-star kid our staff has no interest in and a 2-star kid they lose sleep over and all generally all we care about is getting the higher ranked kid so we can “win” in the recruiting rankings.

There is at least some correlation to one kid being “better” then another if he has a higher ranking. It’s just that we think more stars translates to more football success. The rankings are purely physical speculation..height, weight, speed, strength and maybe past success..so perhaps from that perspective, a 4 star is better then a 2 star. It’s just doesn’t always mean much by way of wins and losses...so who cares...I don’t think I feel any better about our record last year if it we’d had 5 stars on the field..It still sucked

asleep003

We did recruit a 2* RB/DB out of San Antonio, that ran for 1,200+ yards and made 106 tackles his Sr. year in HS. Then made all Big 12 safety for the Frogs a few years ago.

CGP has done a great job finding these Diamonds in the rough … and then developing them into really good D1 players.

Waccy Frog

We did recruit a 2* RB/DB out of San Antonio, that ran for 1,200+ yards and made 106 tackles his Sr. year in HS. Then made all Big 12 safety for the Frogs a few years ago.

CGP has done a great job finding these Diamonds in the rough … and then developing them into really good D1 players.

And NFL All Pros!!

I get that 5 stars turn out better than 2 stars on the whole. But there is a whole lot of football to be played, and evaluations to be done, between the extremes.

Plus, people often leave out the role of recruits’ “self-selection.” I often hear about a UT 4 star that turns out to be a bust, “Yeah, but we offered him.” True. But if that 4 star comes to watch a TCU practice and thinks it’s too intense, then good riddance. Meanwhile, if a hidden gem says “that just what I need from a coach,” then that’s a GREAT sign. That often gets left out of the commentary.

The world is complicated. That’s why the best leaders of complex organizations are able to see all the variables and adjust accordingly. Thank goodness we have one of those leaders at the helm of Horned Frog football!!

Last edited:

CryptoMiner

Zack Evans....

Some of the answers he gave why no Texas...

“It’s just … you don’t know how to put it,” Evans told 247Sports as a part of a wide-ranging interview. “I don’t want to be disrespectful. I ain’t saying (Texas) can’t win a natty. It’s just at the moment [Texas is] not quite there. You beat Georgia but you barely beat Georgia. What about when it comes to a Bama or go to a Clemson?

"Texas is a good school, they coming up. It's just ... I don't know."

It just really comes with the competition,” Evans said. “They say the SEC is like the NFL, so I’m trying to be down pat.”

Froggish

Zack Evans....

Some of the answers he gave why no Texas...

“It’s just … you don’t know how to put it,” Evans told 247Sports as a part of a wide-ranging interview. “I don’t want to be disrespectful. I ain’t saying (Texas) can’t win a natty. It’s just at the moment [Texas is] not quite there. You beat Georgia but you barely beat Georgia. What about when it comes to a Bama or go to a Clemson?

"Texas is a good school, they coming up. It's just ... I don't know."

It just really comes with the competition,” Evans said. “They say the SEC is like the NFL, so I’m trying to be down pat.”

If any Frog fans wonder what it’s like out there on the recruiting trail just read Zach’s post....I can guarantee it’s word for word what every SEC school uses against us the rest of the nation. He just regurgitated the SEC pitch. Like it or not it’s damn effective as they are continually gobbling up the best recruits in TX..

CountryFrog

If any Frog fans wonder what it’s like out there on the recruiting trail just read Zach’s post....I can guarantee it’s word for word what every SEC school uses against us the rest of the nation. He just regurgitated the SEC pitch. Like it or not it’s damn effective as they are continually gobbling up the best recruits in TX..
You can GUARANTEE that's what EVERY school in the SEC says word for word?