• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Palliative Care

Yes well there is that. He is too light and trying to play corner is no picnic against large receivers or trying to bring down a tight end. For that matter it is difficult against some running backs. Definitely he is a project and the question is do his natural abilities mean that you will take a chance on him.

Eight

Yes well there is that. He is too light and trying to play corner is no picnic against large receivers or trying to bring down a tight end. For that matter it is difficult against some running backs. Definitely he is a project and the question is do his natural abilities mean that you will take a chance on him.

frogs have consistently been wiling to roll the dice of certain positions and corner is one of them as it is critical in gary's defense to have corners who when asked can take an outside receiver on their own and free the safeties.

that has gotten trickier over time as you noted with the bigger receivers, but the one common trait they have favored is quickness/speed over size.

frogs have no real proven talent at corner, they do have some potential, but if they believe he can handle the corner position i say make the offer.

Froggish

frogs have consistently been wiling to roll the dice of certain positions and corner is one of them as it is critical in gary's defense to have corners who when asked can take an outside receiver on their own and free the safeties.

that has gotten trickier over time as you noted with the bigger receivers, but the one common trait they have favored is quickness/speed over size.

frogs have no real proven talent at corner, they do have some potential, but if they believe he can handle the corner position i say make the offer.

IMO GP defenses really are defined by 2 positions. DE/CB...If he has a DE that can get consistently pressure and a man up shut down corner emerges, TCU is really tough defensively. GP can disguise coverages and creatively stunt to make up for shortcomings elsewhere. Last year we had one (Gladney) without the other (DE)...

Interestingly I was listening to a scout talk about DEs recently and he was talking about the importance of a DE being able to effectively bull rush. In his words all the speed and hand to hand technique is meaningless if you can’t set it up with an effective bull rush. Go back and watch Mathis and you’ll see a kid who couldn’t push an OT on to his heels and so his speed was effectively neutralized. It made since. Hopefully Mathis and Ellison are hitting the weights hard because I don’t see a shut down corner on this upcoming team and we absolutely have to step up the DL pressure big time.

Wexahu

IMO GP defenses really are defined by 2 positions. DE/CB...If he has a DE that can get consistently pressure and a man up shut down corner emerges, TCU is really tough defensively. GP can disguise coverages and creatively stunt to make up for shortcomings elsewhere. Last year we had one (Gladney) without the other (DE)...

Interestingly I was listening to a scout talk about DEs recently and he was talking about the importance of a DE being able to effectively bull rush. In his words all the speed and hand to hand technique is meaningless if you can’t set it up with an effective bull rush. Go back and watch Mathis and you’ll see a kid who couldn’t push an OT on to his heels and so his speed was effectively neutralized. It made since. Hopefully Mathis and Ellison are hitting the weights hard because I don’t see a shut down corner on this upcoming team and we absolutely have to step up the DL pressure big time.

It's hard to bull rush when you weigh about 235 lbs, and it's especially hard when you're a top-heavy 235 lbs like Mathis.

Froggish

It's hard to bull rush when you weigh about 235 lbs, and it's especially hard when you're a top-heavy 235 lbs like Mathis.
I agree..GP has done a pretty good job of forcing teams into 3rd and 6 or more, but 3rd down is often defined by being disruptive and we often weren’t able to that even when blitzing. Weight has something to do with our issues for sure but Mathis has now been in the S&C program for 2 years. He might just be a guy who can’t gain the weight/strength needed. OTs were easily able to push him around

On ESPN+ (yes, I am a subscriber - don't hate, I enjoy it), JJ Watt told Peyton Manning in one of his Peyton's Places segments, the same thing about a DE. It all starts with the bull rush. If it isn't there, the DE is just average.

PO Frog

I saw a birthday picture with Mathis in street clothes on one of his social media accounts and he looks skinny as a rail. Honestly would have pegged him as a WR if I were just looking at the picture in a vacuum.

CryptoMiner

Not sure the entire story on this kid but getting some good looks:

Rey Estes CB 6-1/180 Riverside CC (CA)

He is listed as a freshman on their roster but he originally signed with Minnesota in 2018 and then was going to transfer to Illinois but ended up in California. Had 5 ints and 33 tackles in their undefeated championship season. Was a HS QB at East St Louis.

Paint It Purple

CAEAF852-6753-4184-B1FB-554D67E0F20F.jpeg
Not sure the entire story on this kid but getting some good looks:

Rey Estes CB 6-1/180 Riverside CC (CA)

He is listed as a freshman on their roster but he originally signed with Minnesota in 2018 and then was going to transfer to Illinois but ended up in California. Had 5 ints and 33 tackles in their undefeated championship season. Was a HS QB at East St Louis.

got lost once in East St Louis