• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Moose Stuff

True, I have said that. But what I said is that you'd be surprised how little college football some of the high schools kids actually sit down and watch. In talking to a ton of these kids over the years, it surprises me as well.

Wins and losses do matter, but over a period of time; not a single season. My response was in question to some fans who thought one loss or one win would've had an affect on recruiting. When TCU lost to SMU, there were some fans that knee-jerked into thinking TCU was about to lose their whole class; which hasn't happened. When TCU beat Texas, some felt that should be enough to add recruits. It just isn't like that anymore.

Kids I speak to rarely mention single-season success as being the reason why they chose a school. TCU isn't having the year everyone thought, but for the most part they've done great keeping the class together and they just happened to land 3 of their highest-rated players, including the 2nd highest in the GP era with Garrett Hayes on Monday. That's why I tell people that although the Frogs are having a down year in the win column, most recruits look at the bigger picture. Their class indicates that.

I said so many nice things on here about the 247 site that JC came over and gave you guys some info for free!

TX_Krötenechse

I know we all hate Baylor but when looking at Sylvester and possibly Princely, I would argue that the success of Lynch is a much bigger piece. Baylor’s coaches are telling recruits that they took a kid whom everyone projected on OL and turned him into an all-B12 DE. Which is sadly pretty reasonable.

Of course the fact that they’re having a great season helps but I very much doubt that recruits are seeing Baylor win 10 games and suddenly hankering to go there.

Purp

I know we all hate Baylor but when looking at Sylvester and possibly Princely, I would argue that the success of Lynch is a much bigger piece. Baylor’s coaches are telling recruits that they took a kid whom everyone projected on OL and turned him into an all-B12 DE. Which is sadly pretty reasonable.

Of course the fact that they’re having a great season helps but I very much doubt that recruits are seeing Baylor win 10 games and suddenly hankering to go there.
If that were the reason these guys are going to Baylor it would stand to reason that LJ in the 1st round and Banogu in the 2nd round would be a more compelling case using the same argument. Turning 2-3 star talent into top round NFL picks is more impressive than anything Baylor did with Lynch. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think there's something else going on with Sylvester shifting to Baylor.

MTfrog5

If that were the reason these guys are going to Baylor it would stand to reason that LJ in the 1st round and Banogu in the 2nd round would be a more compelling case using the same argument. Turning 2-3 star talent into top round NFL picks is more impressive than anything Baylor did with Lynch. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think there's something else going on with Sylvester shifting to Baylor.
Sounds like JC will spill those beans on his post signing day recap in February. Every year that is worth the membership alone

Moose Stuff

Never mind our 2 that went in the first few rounds last year. Or Josh Carraway, or Jerry Hughes, or the Schobels, or....

Last edited:

McFroggin

tied for the second smallest class in the conference at 13 commits, but 4th and iowa state who is just above tcu in the rankings have 21 commits at this time.

as you said moose, the per prospect quality is very good and the staff isn't done with class so good thoughts on this right now

there are two highly regard defensive end prospects in the state of texas not named james sylvester so time to let fitch work his magic in manor or south houston

While the per prospect quality is high, we are going to need a HUGE ramp up in recruiting to maintain this. This is a 25 recruit year. We need numbers to commit soon.

TX_Krötenechse

I’m not arguing that Lynch is the reason that Sylvester decommitted - just that it’s a good pitch from Baylor and I could see it being really effective. It sounds like there’s some smoke that Sylvester was encouraged to look around by our staff.

I will add that I am constantly perplexed by our relative struggle to recruit DE considering our success putting guys into the NFL from that position. Still I would argue that our success there has helped us land guys like Jenkins.

Eight

While the per prospect quality is high, we are going to need a HUGE ramp up in recruiting to maintain this. This is a 25 recruit year. We need numbers to commit soon.

very true, but remember this is a brave new world and all holes in this roster don't have to be filled with high school recruits.

i have no problem with the next 5 recruits being bud clark, 2 juco de's who can play next year, and 2 juco interior offensive linemen who can play next year as well.

after that let the next 5-8 sort out in high school kids who flip and grad transfers who can play.

Last edited: