• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Eight

If we pull in Hayes, this may be the best OL/DL class we have had in quite a while. Paper tigers and all that, but games are won in the trenches.

hayes would be the highest rated offensive line prospect that the frogs have signed in quite some time.

the best two way class right now is the 2016 class which (if the ratings don't change) was better on the defensive side and right not comparable on the offensive side of the ball.

a very underappreciated offensive line class is the 2012 class that not only projected well on paper, but featured three nfl players in big v, collins, and hunt.

if you go back and look at the offensive line classes since thomsen came to tcu the frogs will have stacked four solid offensive line classes in a row.

this offense really needs some of that talent to start producing next year.

CountryFrog

I'm not sure Omar's hype ever reached the hype of DS. I remember DS was a sub 4.3 forty kid at 5'11"ish and about 220 who was supposed to be a 5 star for USC, but high school classes not transferring kept him from being eligible so his recruiting disappeared. Then he got on campus and he was talked about like the most incredible athlete to ever play the sport.

I see some parallels, but I don't think Omar was every hyped as a guy who would rush for 2,000 yards multiple season and set NCAA records and such. The most hype I recall about Omar was that he was uncoverable in practice. DS' legend was way bigger than just that.
You have a way better memory than I do

Rose Bowl

The number of JUCO’s we’re after illustrates the misses we’ve had in the past few classes. I’m a guy that thinks you fill a certain need with a JUCO. When you need more than a couple that shows you have missed too much on your freshmen.

Moose Stuff

The number of JUCO’s we’re after illustrates the misses we’ve had in the past few classes. I’m a guy that thinks you fill a certain need with a JUCO. When you need more than a couple that shows you have missed too much on your freshmen.

Yeah, but even the major programs will plug holes with JUCO and grad transfer players.

CountryFrog

I have a feeling that come Dec we will looking at one of the most impressive classes we’ve ever signed....Paper yes...but this is going to finish well
Seems like we've said this 2 or 3 times in the last few years and yet we're still in the middle of the worst 4 year run of GP's career. I feel like we've become almost Texas lite the last few seasons as far as getting highly rated recruiting classes that result in very meh on field results.

Obviously it hasn't been as bad as Texas since we keep beating them though.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
I saw him play in the spring game that year he was here, and do not recall being overly impressed. Obviously, that means very little based on how we do the spring game.....
I was a senior when he was and was very happy to see that they ended up in the small school playoff bracket and we wouldn't end up playing him. Dude was unreal

Froggish

Seems like we've said this 2 or 3 times in the last few years and yet we're still in the middle of the worst 4 year run of GP's career. I feel like we've become almost Texas lite the last few seasons as far as getting highly rated recruiting classes that result in very meh on field results.

Obviously it hasn't been as bad as Texas since we keep beating them though.

I get you....I still maintain that the staff has been underperforming for the last 4 years. IMHO when we joined the B12 we upgraded everything (recruits, facilities, profile..etc) but the staff...If we have 10 coaches 6 of them still act like we are in MWC

Purp

I agree when you’re talking about one or two guys but when you need 5+ that isn’t too good imo.
Similar to basketball I think this may be a new normal for a lot of programs moving forward due to the transfer portal. I think some JuCos are due to misses in recruiting (the player wasn't good enough), but I think a lot of others are needed because the player wasn't patient enough to develop and earn his PT. Both situations leave programs in the lurch and require JuCos to fill a talent void at that position for that class with immediate eligibility.

Froggish

Will be curious to see what happens to the class if Cumbie is let go, and who they replace him with?

It will have an impact I’m sure...Sonny has historically been involved with mostly QB recruiting so I don’t know how many direct relationships he has but generally a coordinator change would have fall out across a large portion of the staff. That in itself is probably why you’ve never seen GP perform a staff overhaul. There is some short term loss that happens in recruiting while a new staff gets their feet under them. GP has a pretty low tolerance for that type of change. Hard to sale “family” and “stability” on the recruiting trail when you just dumped 4-5 coaches

netty2424

Only 4 offensive skill guys in the class right now and one is badly injured. Bulk of the class is defense and OL and I wouldn’t think Sonny impacts them much.
I was kind of wishful thinking along the lines of how it might improve offensively if GP makes a splash hire and the new guy was able to bring a few recruits with him as a result.

Wexahu

I was kind of wishful thinking along the lines of how it might improve offensively if GP makes a splash hire and the new guy was able to bring a few recruits with him as a result.

Yep, I think people tend to be concerned about who you might lose when you make coaching changes and forget about the guys you might pick up.

Eight

the early signing date this year is dec 19-21 so if the frogs make it to a bowl i don't see anything happening to the staff prior to that period and even if they don't make a bowl i don't see action before then

in response to a bump in again depends upon who signs early and who waits.