• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

asleep003

I’m not even sure 2 stars exist anymore. Either way, that’s not a good way to go about building and sustaining a winning program.
Yes, we wouldn't want players of Derrick Kindred's caliber/frog factor to build a program … a player that played both ways in HS with 106 tackles and 1,300 rushing yards, as a senior. 2* to all Big 12....

Will take those players all day long. Seems we've had much better success with the
Kindred type 2*s than 4*s... such as Jerry Hughes/Marshall Newhouse/Tank Carter/ Aaron Brown/Kyle Dooley/Chris Bradley/Blaise Foltz/Tavin Howard/Tuaua/Kavantae Turpin/Jaden Oberkrom/Ty Summers/Casey McDermott Vai/ Julius Lewis/ etc/etc.

We've had so many unfortunate successes with 4* recruits outcome than we could have ever imagined … Ryan Parker/Curtis Carter/Tyler Matthews/Gilbert Griffin/Taj Williams/ Casey Paschal/ Ethan Grant/Dwight Smith/Devonte Fields/Tyree Horton/ Isaiah Chambers/S R/Deshawn Raymond/ etc/etc. 3*s are our Bread and Butter !

Last edited:
Yes, we wouldn't want players of Derrick Kindred's caliber/frog factor to build a program … a player that played both ways in HS with 106 tackles and 1,300 rushing yards, as a senior. 2* to all Big 12....

Will take those players all day long. Seems we've had much better success with the
Kindred type 2*s than 4*s... such as Jerry Hughes/Marshall Newhouse/Tank Carter/ Aaron Brown/Kyle Dooley/Chris Bradley/Blaise Foltz/Tavin Howard/Tuaua/Kavantae Turpin/Jaden Oberkrom/Ty Summers/Casey McDermott Vai/ Julius Lewis/ etc/etc.

We've had so many unfortunate successes with 4* recruits outcome than we could have ever imagined … Ryan Parker/Curtis Carter/Tyler Matthews/Gilbert Griffin/Taj Williams/ Casey Paschal/ Ethan Grant/Dwight Smith/Devonte Fields/Tyree Horton/ Isaiah Chambers/S R/Deshawn Raymond/ etc/etc. 3*s are our Bread and Butter !
Your version of the English language and mine seem to differ but the bottom line is just evaluation of a player regardless of what the recruiting services have to say. As I've said before, we previously did a good job of identifying players whose ability to play football was better than there athletic measurables suggested it would be and lately we have found more players whose ability to play football is less than their athletic measurables suggest it should be.

Moose Stuff

Quite a few of the guys you just listed weren’t 2 stars and none of them would be today. And I didn’t say taking players like Kindred is a poor strategy. I said targeting them over 4 stars is a poor strategy. If I thought we could sign 20 Kindreds every year I’d be ecstatic. It isn’t even remotely realistic. Again look at the rosters of every team with national title hopes..... vast majority are 4-5 stars.

Moose Stuff

Your version of the English language and mine seem to differ but the bottom line is just evaluation of a player regardless of what the recruiting services have to say. As I've said before, we previously did a good job of identifying players whose ability to play football was better than there athletic measurables suggested it would be and lately we have found more players whose ability to play football is less than their athletic measurables suggest it should be.

IMO those players are far harder to sign these days. 15 years ago we could out evaluate other teams and keep a player relatively hidden out. Today with social media and all these recruiting services these kids are getting way more exposure and way more good offers. So while we may find a kid like a Jerry Hughes today it might turn out that UT and OU also find him.

CryptoMiner

Good list of recruits in this weekend. One interesting name in particular. Let’s just say it’s an old friend.

As mentioned recently Kelly has shown more interest in him.

He is a '21 but someone to watch closely (and visiting):

Benji Omayebu of Sherman. 5-11/210 RB, WR and DB One brother plays at Angelo State and another is on Sherman with him.

Froggish

As mentioned recently Kelly has shown more interest in him.

He is a '21 but someone to watch closely (and visiting):

Benji Omayebu of Sherman. 5-11/210 RB, WR and DB One brother plays at Angelo State and another is on Sherman with him.

GP definitely gives his coaches a lot freedom on the recruiting trail..

Eight

Quite a few of the guys you just listed weren’t 2 stars and none of them would be today. And I didn’t say taking players like Kindred is a poor strategy. I said targeting them over 4 stars is a poor strategy. If I thought we could sign 20 Kindreds every year I’d be ecstatic. It isn’t even remotely realistic. Again look at the rosters of every team with national title hopes..... vast majority are 4-5 stars.

the one thing that seems to get lost when derrick kindred's name comes up in these recruiting discussions is that he only got an offer after a player backed out of their commit to tcu.

if that player doesn't back up, tcu doesn't offer derrick late, and who knows how things play out from there.

also, derrick was a great athlete playing multiple positions for a team that wasn't very good. he was a low rated recruit not because of his lack of athletic ability, but because the recruiting services really didn't know much about him or his ability

Froggish

Well I suppose we turn to all those recruits in the house today and basically just say..” Not going to be hard to get on the field early here”

Last edited:

JockO de Frog

Goodness, is it taboo to say his name? Are you talkin about Omar? Why does it have to be a small circle secret? Clue those of us who don't follow it that closely please.

EDIT: just saw Moose's post.

Moose Stuff

Goodness, is it taboo to say his name? Are you talkin about Omar? Why does it have to be a small circle secret? Clue those of us who don't follow it that closely please.

EDIT: just saw Moose's post.

I was simply trying to avoid posting specific information posted only by JC on the pay site. Obviously I didn’t avoid it very well.

Purp

Omar Manning is the new Dwight Smith
I'm not sure Omar's hype ever reached the hype of DS. I remember DS was a sub 4.3 forty kid at 5'11"ish and about 220 who was supposed to be a 5 star for USC, but high school classes not transferring kept him from being eligible so his recruiting disappeared. Then he got on campus and he was talked about like the most incredible athlete to ever play the sport.

I see some parallels, but I don't think Omar was every hyped as a guy who would rush for 2,000 yards multiple season and set NCAA records and such. The most hype I recall about Omar was that he was uncoverable in practice. DS' legend was way bigger than just that.

Purp

Omar Manning is the new Dwight Smith
Just did a quick Google and this was the first thing that came up. Some quotes are below and show the DS hype machine wasn't just limited to TCU fandom.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/352085-dwight-smith-the-best-unknown-player-in-college-football

But don't take it from me how good he is, here are some things that other people have said about Smith:

NFL running back who was at the same football camp working out with Smith once said, "Dwight Smith has the most God-Given talent I have ever seen in a young player. He could play in the NFL right now, and he would not only be the biggest running back on my NFL team right now, but he would also be the fastest".

An opposing team's coach that Carthage and Smith played against said, "Dwight Smith is better at his age, than any other running back that I have ever seen in East Texas. And that includes Adrian Peterson who I saw play, and whom I coached against. Smith is ahead of Peterson at their same ages. Smith will be a starting running back in the NFL".

An opposing player once said, "I had the privilege of seeing Dwight Smith play last fall in a district game. After the first time I saw him carry the ball I realized the chances of beating Carthage was about zero.

"This kid had size about 225 and could flat out fly. I was concerned that someone would try to take Dwight head on and be seriously hurt. The best high school running back I have ever seen. This kid's talent just blew me away".

Raw Frog

I saw him play in the spring game that year he was here, and do not recall being overly impressed. Obviously, that means very little based on how we do the spring game.....

Moose Stuff

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but worth noting that the biggest remaining recruit that we have a legit chance at, 4 star/9.6 rated OL Garrett Hayes was believed to be down to TCU and Ark. Assuming that’s true gotta believe we become the heavy favorite with Morris getting canned.