• The KillerFrogs

2020 QB question

source.gif

4th. down

Just because you could not beat out Justin Fields doesn't mean you cannot play. People that know Baldwin from HS days say he's a good one. Max does not have a lock on the QB position and we better get recruiting QB's because it's Max and Baldwin. However, you never know, Downing could be another Bram.........no, not really, there's only 1 Bram.

Frogmore

Just because you could not beat out Justin Fields doesn't mean you cannot play. People that know Baldwin from HS days say he's a good one. Max does not have a lock on the QB position and we better get recruiting QB's because it's Max and Baldwin. However, you never know, Downing could be another Bram.........no, not really, there's only 1 Bram.
I agree. I watched Baldwin in high school and know that he threw for about 250 yards against Ohio State's defense in the Spring game. I don't know if he'll be the starter or not, but Max is not a shoe in. And, that's a good thing. Competition is a great thing.

Flip Frog

A certain QB who transferred because he couldn’t beat someone out is about to win the Heisman. Burrow transferred because he lost the job to Haskins.
In my eyes, the job is wide open.

4 Oaks Frog

I’m 110% in favor of a complete open competition between now and next September. And that’s not a negative commentary on Max.
I agree with you, Moose. It was a competition between Tua & Hurts, and we know what happened there. If Max wins that competition, super. If Baldwin takes if from him, that’s super, as well. I just the best QB on the field, and I want the choice to be made before the season opener.
GO FROGS!

Pharm Frog

I’m 110% in favor of a complete open competition between now and next September. And that’s not a negative commentary on Max.

I'm always in favor of that. Always. No exceptions. If you haven't got a complete open competition for all positions, you aren't improving and you aren't setting yourself up for future success.

Moose Stuff

I'm always in favor of that. Always. No exceptions. If you haven't got a complete open competition for all positions, you aren't improving and you aren't setting yourself up for future success.

Well sure, but there are obvious exceptions to that. Let’s say Blacklock comes back.... he’s our starting DT with zero debate. Yes I understand that’s also because we have nobody better.

Pharm Frog

Well sure, but there are obvious exceptions to that. Let’s say Blacklock comes back.... he’s our starting DT with zero debate. Yes I understand that’s also because we have nobody better.

Oh I agree with advantages of incumbency and performance but I’d still want the next Blacklock competing like heck with him to earn more snaps. And I wouldn’t declare RB to be the starter until necessary even though there’s near zero chance he wouldn’t be.