• The KillerFrogs

2020 MLB Thread

FBallFan123

This one brings back memories ... his rookie. Arsa were a hot item
https://mobile.twitter.com/paletta_michael/status/1268222333141073922

31f9798ed67a4cf9aaf8b3f12aa76b9c_front.jpg

FBallFan123

Joel Sherman recently did a piece on another ill-fated New York prospect, Gregg Jefferies.

It’s hard to accurately describe just how much hype he had coming up in New York at that time.

The article is a pretty good read about his time in the Mets clubhouse and how much of a mismatch he was for that team at that time.

6cbac949d6e24d3385801427a6b7148c_front.jpg

Joel Sherman recently did a piece on another ill-fated New York prospect, Gregg Jefferies.

It’s hard to accurately describe just how much hype he had coming up in New York at that time.

The article is a pretty good read about his time in the Mets clubhouse and how much of a mismatch he was for that team at that time.

6cbac949d6e24d3385801427a6b7148c_front.jpg

Wasn't he the first player born in the 70s to play in the big leagues?

Pharm Frog

@Moose Stuff The above asserts optimism yet after reading it a couple of times I'm not sure why. If the 50-game thing is activated, what implications are there for players if they decide to just strike?

Moose Stuff

@Moose Stuff The above asserts optimism yet after reading it a couple of times I'm not sure why. If the 50-game thing is activated, what implications are there for players if they decide to just strike?

I'd have to know who he spoke to to know whether the optimism is justified or not. If the players just strike then there is no baseball (obviously) and they don't get paid another cent. Assuming they're all OK with the health risks (I'm told this is not an issue at all for the overwhelming majority of those involved) then as a player you're choosing between zero games/zero salary and 50ish games/one third or so of your salary. Seems like an easy decision to me.

Pharm Frog

I'd have to know who he spoke to to know whether the optimism is justified or not. If the players just strike then there is no baseball (obviously) and they don't get paid another cent. Assuming they're all OK with the health risks (I'm told this is not an issue at all for the overwhelming majority of those involved) then as a player you're choosing between zero games/zero salary and 50ish games/one third or so of your salary. Seems like an easy decision to me.

No obvious implications for the upcoming collective bargaining process though? I just wondered if there was something that might force the players to play 50 games or risk their positions in the next negotiation. Can't seem to understand why owners might be confident that they could compel a 50 game season at this point.

Moose Stuff

No obvious implications for the upcoming collective bargaining process though? I just wondered if there was something that might force the players to play 50 games or risk their positions in the next negotiation. Can't seem to understand why owners might be confident that they could compel a 50 game season at this point.

Beyond the obvious "50 games and some money is better than zero games and no money" response I couldn't tell you. Not sure if not playing would impact the upcoming labor negotiations in any way

Moose Stuff

Yeah, barring a major flinch from one of the sides (which I do not expect) it looks like we're looking at the 50(ish) game season or no season. Honestly think the 50 game season could be pretty entertaining.