• The KillerFrogs

2020 MLB Thread

FBallFan123

Those Thomas/Griffey highlights remind me of one of my favorite SI covers ... which was just prior to the ‘94 MLB strike

chicago-white-sox-frank-thomas-and-seattle-mariners-ken-august-08-1994-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

ShreveFrog

I'll set up some gofundme accounts pronto so folks can give to these multi-multi-millionaires do they can make up some of their lost millions and play some ball.

Last edited:

ftwfrog

I keep thinking that the two sides (and specifically the players) have to understand exactly what the result of not playing would be but I'm increasingly starting to believe that they don't.
I’m also starting to believe (maybe hope) that this is just part of the bargaining game.
One side says, “no way in hell! We’re not budging!”
The other side says, “you’re not even close! We can’t move an inch!”
They fight for a week and then agree somewhere in the middle.

Eight

have heard a theory some owners are willing to scrap the season as they aren't going to be competitive and they are afraid the playoffs will get cancelled due to a second wave and they lose the bulk of the national contract money

Moose Stuff

have heard a theory some owners are willing to scrap the season as they aren't going to be competitive and they are afraid the playoffs will get cancelled due to a second wave and they lose the bulk of the national contract money

Wouldn't surprise me if "some" owners want that. The repercussions of not playing for both sides (and I think especially the players) will be FAR worse than the things they're bickering over right now IMO.

Moose Stuff

I’m also starting to believe (maybe hope) that this is just part of the bargaining game.
One side says, “no way in hell! We’re not budging!”
The other side says, “you’re not even close! We can’t move an inch!”
They fight for a week and then agree somewhere in the middle.

Even if they end up agreeing the bargaining "game" they're using to get to the agreement is a terrible terrible look.

FBallFan123

I keep thinking that the two sides (and specifically the players) have to understand exactly what the result of not playing would be but I'm increasingly starting to believe that they don't.

I don’t expect a season.

MLB owners and players are so far apart.

People were already worried about the CBA negotiations looming after the 2021 season.

If the two sides can’t come together now the situation could be absolutely toxic by then.