• The KillerFrogs

2020 MLB Thread

Eight

This gimmicky proposal with 14 teams making the postseason and possibly playing 6-game series during the season does not appeal to me at all. Manfred will kill the game if he's not removed.

know that the independent league team in sugar land plays 6 game series to control travel costs

not sure if any other leagues do anything similar and that is less an issue than the half the teams make the play offs concept

I don’t follow you there, friend. Owners have lost money. Why shouldn’t players? Millions across the country have lost money. Why are players different?

That's not part of their contract. If a pitcher blows out his arm in spring training and misses a year we don't ask him to go unpaid, do we? I normally don't side with the union but this is one where I would. It also should be a signal to both sides that salaries have gotten out of hand and they can no longer rely on jacking up ticket prices.

Wexahu

That's not part of their contract. If a pitcher blows out his arm in spring training and misses a year we don't ask him to go unpaid, do we?

No, but this is totally different. If a pitcher blows out his arm In spring training, the season for everyone else goes on. Games are still played and watched on TV. Tickets are still sold. Owners still have revenue.

I mean, this an entirely different situation.

Moose Stuff

My opinion, and my reason for my disagreement with Phormer's post.... it's just a total PR nightmare for everyone involved to openly argue about money right now. There may well not be a season in the end (I have no idea) but that simply CAN'T be the reason.

Wexahu

My opinion, and my reason for my disagreement with Phormer's post.... it's just a total PR nightmare for everyone involved to openly argue about money right now. There may well not be a season in the end (I have no idea) but that simply CAN'T be the reason.

As far as "it should have been in the CBA" goes, there's no way the owners would agree to guarantee 100% of player's salaries in an event like this, unless they had terrible attorneys. The players would have zero incentive to play if that were the case. If you gave them the choice of A) getting paid in full and cancelling the season or B) getting paid in full and playing what amounts to a half season, I would think they'd choose option a every time. Forget COVID, why risk injury and future earnings potential by playing if there is no financial incentive to do so?

Latest posts