• The KillerFrogs

2020 MLB Thread

Eight

Al Kaline passes away at 85. Has the privilege of interacting with him many times over the last 20 years. Just a really really solid human.

he was a name i remember as a kid on this week in baseball, but didn't really know much about his career.

holy [ Finebaum ].....22 years and a .297 career hitter with some pop.

Al Kaline passes away at 85. Had the privilege of interacting with him many times over the last 20 years. Just a really really solid human.

My dad was a yuge Tigers fan before the Rangers moved to town. He had an aunt that moved there in 1962 and he spent his summers up there until about the time he entered high school. He loved Kaline ans Norm Cash. He gave me a program from 1964 a few years ago. He was 9 and kept score. I remember one of them hit a HR. I'll have to find it.

He talks about that '68 Series all the time. My grandma wrote doctor's notes for him to come home and watch the games because they were during the day. By Game 4 the principal caught on and he had to take the rest as unexcused absenses. He said 2011 hurt just as bad as 1968.

He saw Denny McClain twice that summer but his favorite was Mickey Lolich. He's always had a love affair for lefties and I assume that's why he favored him over McClain.

He texted me just yesterday with a find from the attic. It was one of those cheap coins they used to make with ballplayers pictures on the front and a random fact on the back. It was Dick McAuliffe, 2B for Detroit. It said he tied a MLB record in 1968 by grounding into zero double plays. I looked it up and he had 658 plate appearances. He only hit .249 so he didn't exactly put the ball in plat a whole lot but 658 PA with no GIDP. That's unheard of in today's game.

Good stuff.

Moose Stuff

My dad was a yuge Tigers fan before the Rangers moved to town. He had an aunt that moved there in 1962 and he spent his summers up there until about the time he entered high school. He loved Kaline ans Norm Cash. He gave me a program from 1964 a few years ago. He was 9 and kept score. I remember one of them hit a HR. I'll have to find it.

He talks about that '68 Series all the time. My grandma wrote doctor's notes for him to come home and watch the games because they were during the day. By Game 4 the principal caught on and he had to take the rest as unexcused absenses. He said 2011 hurt just as bad as 1968.

He saw Denny McClain twice that summer but his favorite was Mickey Lolich. He's always had a love affair for lefties and I assume that's why he favored him over McClain.

He texted me just yesterday with a find from the attic. It was one of those cheap coins they used to make with ballplayers pictures on the front and a random fact on the back. It was Dick McAuliffe, 2B for Detroit. It said he tied a MLB record in 1968 by grounding into zero double plays. I looked it up and he had 658 plate appearances. He only hit .249 so he didn't exactly put the ball in plat a whole lot but 658 PA with no GIDP. That's unheard of in today's game.

Good stuff.
Love stories like this.