• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Really surprised at how much Kepa has struggled this year.
Looking like the game is near full time so the natural disaster I wanted didn't happen, but I will get the result I needed. I hate United so much, but I also hate Chelsea. It's great to see one suffer, but I wish both had suffered.

Chongo94

Nah, I’m off the champs league as of late. Sick of the same old big teams winning it all the time. I’ll take anyone not from the Premier League or La Liga this year.

Eight

Haaland is a damn freak.

10 goals in his 7 games since joining dortmund and i think i heard 25 goals in 21 games

reyna got 20+ minutes in critical game time against very good competition and he held up very well.

doubt it will make any highlights, but reyna had a couple of moments were he made some very nice runs against the psg defense and got physical more than a time or two either keeping possession or winning the ball back.

.very nice to see a young us midfielder doing such things against a quality european club

dawg

Am I alone in thinking TNT/Bleacher Report absolutely suck at covering the CL? Only one match aired per matchday and their announcers are terribad. ESPN and Fox at least aired both, even if one was on delay later in the evening (which I of course would DVR and watch both). Their contract can't end soon enough.

That said, I did watch most of Liverpool - Atlético live. Atléti may not have the depth to compete with Barcelona or Madrid over 38 league games, but they are a tough out in the CL. Undefeated at home in the CL under Simone and have conceded a total of two goals in 13 knockout matches. Liverpool have gone home trailing before, but Atléti seem made of firmer stuff than Barça. The return leg will be interesting. I think Liverpool will advance but would not be surprised if at all if Atléti nick an away goal on the counter and defend like madmen to get through.

Last edited:

Eight

Am I alone in thinking TNT/Bleacher Report absolutely suck at covering the CL? Only one match aired per matchday and their announcers are terribad. ESPN and Fox at least aired both games, even if one was on delay later in the evening (which I of course would DVR and watch both). Their contract can't end soon enough.

That said, I did watch most of Liverpool - Atlético live. Atleti may not have the depth to compete with Barcelona or Madrid over 38 league games, but they are a tough out in the CL. Undefeated at home in the CL under Simone and have conceded a total of two goals in 13 knockout matches. Liverpool have gone home trailing before, but Atléti seem made of firmer stuff than Barça. The return leg will be interesting. I think Liverpool will advance but would not be surprised if at all if Atléti nick an away goal on the counter and defend like madmen to get through.

i really was surprised only one match was on tnt and they and bleacher report are way over their heads in handling the champions league.

watched the psg v dortmund match online via a jazeera feed and simply turned the sound down since i don't speak arabic.

watching the two matches at the same time it really was a contrast in styles.

Chongo94

Am I alone in thinking TNT/Bleacher Report absolutely suck at covering the CL? Only one match aired per matchday and their announcers are terribad. ESPN and Fox at least aired both games, even if one was on delay later in the evening (which I of course would DVR and watch both). Their contract can't end soon enough.

That said, I did watch most of Liverpool - Atlético live. Atleti may not have the depth to compete with Barcelona or Madrid over 38 league games, but they are a tough out in the CL. Undefeated at home in the CL under Simone and have conceded a total of two goals in 13 knockout matches. Liverpool have gone home trailing before, but Atléti seem made of firmer stuff than Barça. The return leg will be interesting. I think Liverpool will advance but would not be surprised if at all if Atléti nick an away goal on the counter and defend like madmen to get through.

They stress their streaming stuff it seems and that you can buy one game for around $2. I’ve always wanted to know how successful they’ve found it so far.

I think it might be a case, like so many entities, of their believing streaming and want for streaming nowhere near matches reality.

Would much rather watch Atalanta today btw.

Last edited:

Portland Frog

CHE vs Bayern tomorrow in the CL. Hans Flick—have to control him. And can’t give up an away goal! Would prefer CHE had the first game on the road but oh well. Bayern is playing well so I’m not too optimistic the Blues make it to the final 8.

Eight

watching dortmund v bremen on saturday and there were some interesting comments made about josh sargent after he came in very late in the match.

josh apparently is in a lull and bremen is fighting to get out of the relegation zone so they don't have the luxury of letting him work his issues out on the field.

a suggestion was made that he needs to reach out to brian mcbride and/or eric wynalda and talk to them about their thoughts on their developing their talent overseas.

Purp

CHE vs Bayern tomorrow in the CL. Hans Flick—have to control him. And can’t give up an away goal! Would prefer CHE had the first game on the road but oh well. Bayern is playing well so I’m not too optimistic the Blues make it to the final 8.
The Blues played their best game in a long time Saturday. Took a fluke own goal for Spurs to make it look close. If Chelsea is turning things around Bayern are beatable. If Chelsea shot their wad for Spurs and have nothing left this could get ugly quickly.

Eight

gio reyna reportedly will be invited in march to the us training cap ahead of exhibition matches at the netherlands end of march and then at wales four days later.

tyler adams and pulisic are still down with injuries leaving the us with some openings in the midfield.

i didn't realize gio's mom had a brief career with the us women's national team as well as playing at unc with hamm and lilly for anson dorance

finally, lucien favre said he would like to have youssoufa moukoko up with dortmund's first team some time this year.

the germany 15 year old could be the youngster player ever for the club by over a year and he is expected to play for germany's u-19 team in the european championship qualifiers coming up the end of march.

Moose Stuff

gio reyna reportedly will be invited in march to the us training cap ahead of exhibition matches at the netherlands end of march and then at wales four days later.

tyler adams and pulisic are still down with injuries leaving the us with some openings in the midfield.

i didn't realize gio's mom had a brief career with the us women's national team as well as playing at unc with hamm and lilly for anson dorance

finally, lucien favre said he would like to have youssoufa moukoko up with dortmund's first team some time this year.

the germany 15 year old could be the youngster player ever for the club by over a year and he is expected to play for germany's u-19 team in the european championship qualifiers coming up the end of march.

The injuries are a beating.... Adams, McKennie, Pulisic, Weah.... none of them can stay healthy. SMH.

Eight

The injuries are a beating.... Adams, McKennie, Pulisic, Weah.... none of them can stay healthy. SMH.

the injuries have been brutal when you consider weah has played two games since his move to lille and he tore a hamstring after being out recovering from a hamstring for 6 months, pulisic has been down for 6 weeks, adams i can't remember the last time he was healthy, and mckennie just came back from the shoulder after being out 6-8 weeks.

add in sargent not getting much playing time as he is in a lull the season in europe hasn't gone well for a good part of the national team young stars

dawg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Purp

Gio Reyna formally commits to the MNT for his international career. Apparently he was eligible for England, Portugal, or Argentina in addition to the US (born in England, Claudio is of Argentinian origin, and Portugal because he has a Portuguese passport).

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...-opt-for-united-states-over-england-argentina

I wasn't too worried about this given his father's involvement in the program over the last 30 years, but it's nice to hear him be unequivocal. Now, if we can just keep him and everyone else healthy and in top flight first teams getting starts every week I'll feel a lot better about things. I still won't feel too optimistic until the other Berhalter is gone. I've just about given up on him completely.