• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

No Jose isn’t what Chelsea need. Lamp arc is doing fine for them and bringing the youth up in the right way.
Perhaps you missed my sarcasm font. I am neither a fan of Mourinho nor Chelsea/ManU so I think they are all perfect for each other. As a Spurs fan and Jose hater this is the most severe kick to the nuts possible for me. I'd rather go with no manager than with Mourinho.

tcujsauce

Robert Lewandoski now owns the world record of quickest 5 goals scored in a game 5 min, and today set the UCL record for quickest to 4 - 14 min. Best center forward/striker on the planet.

dawg

@dawg Did you record today’s game?

Sadly, yes. What a fetid rotting mess Wemger/Kroenke have created. Arsenal are completely lost, rotten to the core, and completely gutless.

Two points, both encapsulate the current state of Arsenal: did you see an article before the Ars/Lfc match where Vardy turned down a move partly because he sensed the rot and downward trend? That’s very telling. And second: another report claimed players were openly mocking Emery because they knew he didn't understand English.

Sigh. It may be a decade or more before they’re respectable again.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Sadly, yes. What a fetid rotting mess Wemger/Kroenke have created. Arsenal are completely lost, rotten to the core, and completely gutless.

Two points, both encapsulate the current state of Arsenal: did you see an article before the Ars/Lfc match where Vardy turned down a move partly because he sensed the rot and downward trend? That’s very telling. And second: another report claimed players were openly mocking Emery because they knew he didn't understand English.

Sigh. It may be a decade or more before they’re respectable again.

Agreed. I didn’t see the Vardy thing. I love that dude but I didn’t think he was right for us given Wenger’s style of play. But when players can fully understand the dysfunction, that’s bad. Saw the Emery thing...feel bad for him, he was never a good choice given the issues and I think he’s a good man. Speaks again to what Wenger allowed the players to get away with in my opinion.

I just can’t explain it anymore. There’s no true reason the club should be this bad (performance wise...organization wise is another thing entirely)...I mean how can these players, a few tried and true proven in other leagues and teams be this bad on defense?? I’m beginning to think Steve Bould never coached them well (we know Wenger didn’t even really coach his last few years) and now even new recruits have no direction nor understanding of what they are supposed to do so when that fails they then become even more easily infected by this lack of confidence plague infecting the club, which only starts the vicious cycle of underperforming all over again.

And I agree, this club is staring mid-table finishes in the face for the next ten years. My tiny hope is that with the Rams sucking (and the opening next year of that new but vastly overrated and ridiculous stadium that still won’t fill up like they think because it’s in LA) and Arsenal sucking that Kroenke may abandon Arsenal to focus on the Rams and sell. However, I know the reality is he’s likely to just ignore Arsenal anyway and do nothing and never sell.

Last edited:

Chongo94

One bright spot by the way, Martinelli continues to impress. I think he could be the real deal. Doubt it happens at Arsenal, however.

dawg

Agreed. I didn’t see the Vardy thing. I love that dude but I didn’t think he was right for us given Wenger’s style of play. But when players can fully understand the dysfunction, that’s bad. Saw the Emery thing...feel bad for him, he was never a good choice given the issues and I think he’s a good man. Speaks again to what Wenger allowed the players to get away with in my opinion.

I just can’t explain it anymore. There’s no true reason the club should be this bad (performance wise...organization wise is another thing entirely)...I mean how can these players, a few tried and true proven in other leagues and teams be this bad on defense?? I’m beginning to think Steve Bould never coached them well (we know Wenger didn’t even really coach his last few years) and now even new recruits have no direction nor understanding of what they are supposed to do so when that fails they then become even more easily infected by this lack of confidence plague infecting the club which only starts the vicious cycle of underperforming all over again.

And I agree, this club is staring mid-table finishes in the face for the next ten years. My tiny hope is that with the Rams sucking (and the opening next year of that new but vastly overrated and ridiculous stadium that still won’t fill up like they think because it’s in LA) and Arsenal sucking that Kroenke may abandon Arsenal to focus and the Rams and sell. However, I know the reality is he’s likely to just ignore Arsenal anyway and do nothing and never sell.

All good points. I too felt for Emery; he seems a good guy and is obviously a talented manager (four Europa Cups with small budget Sevilla is an accomplishment). I thought a corner was turned during last season’s 20+ match unbeaten streak before the lack of nerve returned. That and never really settled on a best 11, though the squad is top heavy with strikers, wingers, and attacking midfielders.

You nailed the “lack of confidence” in the club. No player typified it more than Mustafi. A defender so good at Sampdoria and Valencia that he earned a trip to Brazil in 2014 and has a World Cup Winners Medal. Put him in an Arsenal shirt and he’s lost. David Luiz has has moments of calamity during his career, but he was also a vital contributor to sides that won the CL and multiple leagues. The club plays scared and wilts in the face of adversity. Where is Tony Adams, or Patrick Vieira, or Gilberto, or Martin Keown? Players who imposed their will on matches and through strength of character elevated their teammates and refused to lose. The entire club needs an overhaul in culture, and Kroenke has zero scheisss to give.

Chongo94

All good points. I too felt for Emery; he seems a good guy and is obviously a talented manager (four Europa Cups with small budget Sevilla is an accomplishment). I thought a corner was turned during last season’s 20+ match unbeaten streak before the lack of nerve returned. That and never really settled on a best 11, though the squad is top heavy with strikers, wingers, and attacking midfielders.

You nailed the “lack of confidence” in the club. No player typified it more than Mustafi. A defender so good at Sampdoria and Valencia that he earned a trip to Brazil in 2014 and has a World Cup Winners Medal. Put him in an Arsenal shirt and he’s lost. David Luiz has has moments of calamity during his career, but he was also a vital contributor to sides that won the CL and multiple leagues. The club plays scared and wilts in the face of adversity. Where is Tony Adams, or Patrick Vieira, or Gilberto, or Martin Keown? Players who imposed their will on matches and through strength of character elevated their teammates and refused to lose. The entire club needs an overhaul in culture, and Kroenke has zero scheisss to give.

Nailed it. Your second paragraph just slam dunks the issues. I honestly think Adams or Viera or someone else from that hard era should have some sort of position within the team. Maybe not as coaches (Adams was roughed up in Spain and I’m still not sure about Viera given Nice’s issues this season.) I’ve heard rumors Edu is looking to bring Gilberto in in some sort of capacity but not sure how true it is.

But even if those guys aren’t coaches at least they might be able to instill some confidence and purpose and steel in these players. They could help jumpstart that culture change you alluded to. Sadly, you’re exactly right, it would appear Kroenke gives zero scheiss about it so far.

Portland Frog

The transfer ban has been lifted for CHE. Sorry haters (jk). I actually hope they make no knee jerk moves. Be patient. Wait until summer and evaluate until then. They can remain top 4 with current roster...or at least I hope.

Purp

Just laughably inept. It’s also time for the other Berhalter to go after reading this article.

U.S. Soccer Federation’s Struggles Deepen
Men’s team produced shaky results in 2019, most youth national team coaches have left and the federation is operating without a CEO

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...ccer-federations-struggles-deepen-11575567787
What a train wreck. That federation requires a special type of person who is capable of building a large enterprise from the ground up. there's nothing left worth salvaging.