• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Moose Stuff

It makes me laugh. The arguably most talented player we’ve ever had (to this point) comes along when the national team is the weakest it’s been (tactically and organizationally speaking) since 1990. Typical.

The crazy thing is we could look up 2 World Cups from now and they could be really good if the federation can get their [ Finebaum ] together and a few guys can stay healthy. Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Sargent, Dest, Cannon, and Weah are all under 22 I believe and guys like Morris and Steffen are 25 and 24. Add to that the possibility that 17 year old Gio Reyna is as good as they say he could be and there is at least reason for optimism.

Purp

The crazy thing is we could look up 2 World Cups from now and they could be really good if the federation can get their [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ] together and a few guys can stay healthy. Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Sargent, Dest, Cannon, and Weah are all under 22 I believe and guys like Morris and Steffen are 25 and 24. Add to that the possibility that 17 year old Gio Reyna is as good as they say he could be and there is at least reason for optimism.
The trouble is the federation putting the right people in place to maximize the talent. I never thought I'd wish for the days of Sunil Gulati again. I have less than zero confidence in the USSF.

Purp

Didn’t get to see it. What happened?
Chelsea down 2-1 and Mount just barely missed a set piece from 30ish yards out to tie. Shortly after Sterling scored to go up 3-1 in extra time, but it was overturned by VAR bc he was offside by a loose thread on his sleeve (some of these overturns are getting absurd). Then Chelsea nearly tied late with a flurry before the final whistle.

Purp

Watching the beach soccer world cup right now on FS2. USA vs. Japan. Tied at 2 at half.

I haven't seen this since I saw Cobi Jones playing this over a decade ago. Maybe more like 2 decades. Love playing beach soccer. impressive watching these guys.

USA has the best goalie in the world apparently. Dude's very impressive. Scored our 2nd goal.

Moose Stuff

Watching the beach soccer world cup right now on FS2. USA vs. Japan. Tied at 2 at half.

I haven't seen this since I saw Cobi Jones playing this over a decade ago. Maybe more like 2 decades. Love playing beach soccer. impressive watching these guys.

USA has the best goalie in the world apparently. Dude's very impressive. Scored our 2nd goal.

The goalie scored?

Purp

The goalie scored?
Yeah. They do free kicks differently. There is no wall except on a kickoff so set pieces are mostly like PKs except from wherever the foul occurred on the pitch.

It's only 5 v 5 including the goalie so the pitch is more comparable to a basketball court in size.

After a foul near our goal the keeper lashed one low and hard (real hard) at the opposing goalie and it took it's first bounce right in front of their keeper. Bounces on the beach are never true. Imagine a 3rd baseman fielding a short-hop screamer on the seam of the grass and infield dirt and that's how it got past their keeper. It was obvious they work on that play all the time.

Several goals were scored from bicycle kicks bc the sand prevents a lot of the customary movement off the ball. The result is back-to-the-basket type shielding with juggling on the knees for the proper position to smash a bike.

Japan won it 4-3 and their winning goal came off a kickoff in spite of the wall. One of the hardest shots I've ever seen. Maybe from 20 yards out or so with a defender on one post and the best keeper in the world still had no chance like a well placed PK.

Fun sport to watch, but the US was effectively eliminated. Lost the first 2 games by a goal each to get eliminated. Can't advance out of the group now. The announcers made it sound like we underachieved bc we have 3-4 of the top 50 players in the world and we were expected to go pretty far. Japan was really great, though.