• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

hiphopfroggy

I mean can you imagine a Chinese or Middle Eastern entity coming along and money whipping UT, OU, Clemson, USC and the top 5 from the B1G and SEC into a new super conference?

Purp

I disagree, why should this be left up to an American investment firm to money whip everyone?
It's not just American money. There's just as much, if not more, Asian and Arab money in European football. And even if it was just American money, why should FIFA be able to hold everyone hostage worldwide with threats of heavy financial penalties and sanctions?

Purp

I mean can you imagine a Chinese or Middle Eastern entity coming along and money whipping UT, OU, Clemson, USC and the top 5 from the B1G and SEC into a new super conference?
Not until/unless they break away from the NCAA. Nobody will publicly money whip college athletics in this fashion until the ruse of amateurism is extinguished.

dawg

About all the UK government could do is block work visas. Prevent the six clubs from signing foreign players, but that opens a whole raft of immigration issues. More lawsuits, more money for the lawyers -sorry "Barristers."

"The Government will come under pressure to prevent the Premier League’s breakaway six from signing foreign players if the European Super League comes to fruition.

There is a feeling amongst English football’s key stakeholders that Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Tottenham shouldn't be allowed to access foreign talent under new post-Brexit recruitment rules if the controversial new division is started.

The Football Association, the Premier League and the EFL combined to create a points-based system for new overseas signings, which was given the go-ahead by the Home Office last year."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ix-clubs-BLOCKED-signing-foreign-players.html

hiphopfroggy

It's not just American money. There's just as much, if not more, Asian and Arab money in European football. And even if it was just American money, why should FIFA be able to hold everyone hostage worldwide with threats of heavy financial penalties and sanctions?

The money behind the European Super League: JPMorgan

The announcement of a breakaway league at the top of European football has put one of the world's biggest banks in the spotlight.

JPMorgan Chase (JPM), the American financial Goliath, is behind the financing of the European Super League, the controversial new football competition made up of the continents most storied clubs. Funding for the new competition is said to total between $3.8bn (£2.7bn) and $5bn.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/e...ayMUC8SsBayMm2lsPEiJ3yCcQUkRa3VPmt4NVUXr67CqB

Purp

The money behind the European Super League: JPMorgan

The announcement of a breakaway league at the top of European football has put one of the world's biggest banks in the spotlight.

JPMorgan Chase (JPM), the American financial Goliath, is behind the financing of the European Super League, the controversial new football competition made up of the continents most storied clubs. Funding for the new competition is said to total between $3.8bn (£2.7bn) and $5bn.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/e...ayMUC8SsBayMm2lsPEiJ3yCcQUkRa3VPmt4NVUXr67CqB
I've read all about that. My point is that JP Morgan didn't just come up with the idea on their own and pitch it to the owners and boards of these clubs. The clubs devised the scheme and went shopping for a financier. If JP Morgan didn't give them the best deal someone else would have and it may or may not have been an American bank. These clubs are heavily beholden to Asian and Arab money just like they are American money. Those are the people making these decisions and plans, not JP Morgan.

Eight

A little but if you’ve ever seen him or heard him you’d see he’s definitely not the usual ESPN shrill for sure.

true, but his employer has a definite financial interest in that league not coming together

additionally, do we want to talk about the influence espn has had on college football and concentrating the attention on a small, select collection of teams

hiphopfroggy

I've read all about that. My point is that JP Morgan didn't just come up with the idea on their own and pitch it to the owners and boards of these clubs. The clubs devised the scheme and went shopping for a financier. If JP Morgan didn't give them the best deal someone else would have and it may or may not have been an American bank. These clubs are heavily beholden to Asian and Arab money just like they are American money. Those are the people making these decisions and plans, not JP Morgan.

Yea I know it wasn't their idea originally, but they are still the sole entity financing it. So it is exactly like I said.

JPMorgan draws public ire for financing a breakaway European soccer league.

European soccer fans are known for their intense passion for the sport. Now, they are aiming their ire at the American banking giant JPMorgan Chase for backing the so-called Super League.

The notion of a closed continental competition featuring a set group of teams has been explored before, but the seriousness of this proposal was underlined by more than $4 billion in financingfrom JPMorgan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/business/jpmorgan-european-super-league.html

dawg

Bayern say "NEIN" to SL.

"The chairman of the board Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms: 'On behalf of the board I can expressly state that FC Bayern does not take part in the Super League. FC Bayern is in solidarity with the Bundesliga. It was and is always a great pleasure for us to be able to play as the German representative in the Champions League. We all still fondly remember our Champions League victory in Lisbon in 2020, such a happy moment is never forgotten. For FC Bayern, the Champions League is the best club competition in the world.'"

https://fcbayern.com/de/news/2021/04/erklaerung-fc-bayern-sagt-nein-zur-super-league

Chongo94

Updates according to English radio:

Aside from Kroenke, the big pushers were Liverpool and ManU. I’m assuming Real Madrid as well given Perez’s asinine statements of late.

Chelsea and City were kind of dragged along.

Tottenham’s (still can’t believe they were included) Levy is supposedly having second thoughts about it all.

English government has said it will pursue legislation to stop this if need be.

PM Johnson met with PL fan representatives of PL fan groups and said their reform investigation or whatever it is will look at all sorts of things including Germany’s 50+1 ownership rule.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Also a court in Spain has issued a preliminary ruling against UEFA and FIFA from stopping Spanish clubs getting involved in the ESL. Or something to that effect.

dawg

Apparently, the [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] who dreamt this up needed to take six English clubs to prevent a 75% vote of the remaining clubs expelling them from the EPL (explains Arsenal and Spurs getting in).

Which, if this is true...

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Latest posts