• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Haven’t heard of this kid before but he just delivered a historic win for Schalke. Historic because it kept them from tying or setting the most losses ever in a Bundesliga season or something like that and because this guy became the first American to score a hat trick in the Bundesliga.

Schalke teen Hoppe first American to score Bundesliga hat trick; winless run ends.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/schalke...o-score-bundesliga-hat-trick-ends-winless-run

Purp

Let’s hope they don’t make that work up ha.
I disagree. I've always proudly rooted against Juve, but I just can't root against Weston. Kid's pure class and I want to see him succeed at the very highest levels of the sport. I'll be a Juve fan until/unless he goes elsewhere as long as he's still an important part of their success. Thus far he has been.

Moose Stuff

Holy boat! It's like the other world class athletes chasing after him were in quicksand. And the strength at that age to run through that bump at the sideline and keep enough balance to still win the ball back is damn impressive.

I'm getting so sucked in. Gonna crush me if we don't end up keeping him.

Purp

Don't know much about this kid. Good news either way.

I want someone to write a piece about where all of this recruiting success is coming from. I can't imagine all these phenom kids who have hardly ever lived in the U.S. in their lives are gravitating to Berhalter. Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be at least one good thing happening within the federation at the moment. It's an impressive momentum building among the kids aged 24 and younger. And they all seem to like each other a lot.

Moose Stuff

I want someone to write a piece about where all of this recruiting success is coming from. I can't imagine all these phenom kids who have hardly ever lived in the U.S. in their lives are gravitating to Berhalter. Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be at least one good thing happening within the federation at the moment. It's an impressive momentum building among the kids aged 24 and younger. And they all seem to like each other a lot.

I think your last sentence is very accurate. I also think that Berhalter has to be given credit for connecting with this kids at least on a personal level. Two other huge keys for me.... 1) Dest choosing the US gave us credibility in the eyes of these other dual national kids 2) Reyna, Pulisic, Adams, Gioacchini, Weah, McKennie, Dest, Steffen, Cannon, Richards, and most recently Hoppe thriving abroad and guys like Aaronson/McKenzie recently joining the fray. Again, gives us a massive amount of credibility. If we convince Musah to stay this is a VERY legitimate 2026 WC contender. I can't believe I'm typing that, especially considering I'm dead serious.

Chongo94

I disagree. I've always proudly rooted against Juve, but I just can't root against Weston. Kid's pure class and I want to see him succeed at the very highest levels of the sport. I'll be a Juve fan until/unless he goes elsewhere as long as he's still an important part of their success. Thus far he has been.

I can’t support a team because of one player, although I can easily dislike a team due to one player. Ronaldo when he went to Real is an example. I loved Ruud when he was at ManU but I could never ever support ManU. They could have 8 Americans in the starting lineup and I would still despise them.

Chongo94

Rumors are that Balogun has agreed a deal with Leipzig.

While I’m sad and infuriated to see him leave, as this is yet another example of absolutely horrid management by Arsenal, it might be the best thing for Balogun. Leipzig seem to really know what they’re doing with developing players. And he’ll be with Adams who can maybe get in his ear about playing for us.

Purp

I think your last sentence is very accurate. I also think that Berhalter has to be given credit for connecting with this kids at least on a personal level. Two other huge keys for me.... 1) Dest choosing the US gave us credibility in the eyes of these other dual national kids 2) Reyna, Pulisic, Adams, Gioacchini, Weah, McKennie, Dest, Steffen, Cannon, Richards, and most recently Hoppe thriving abroad and guys like Aaronson/McKenzie recently joining the fray. Again, gives us a massive amount of credibility. If we convince Musah to stay this is a VERY legitimate 2026 WC contender. I can't believe I'm typing that, especially considering I'm dead serious.
I've said it before, but this crop of young Americans is a world class finisher away from being like the golden generation of Spain with Pique, Sergio Ramos, Iniesta, David Silva, Cesc Fabregas, Fernando Torres. Grouped with guys a few years older like Casillas, Xabi Alonso, Xavi Hernandez, and David Villa they dominated the world for a decade. If we can just find a genuine threat to score every time the ball is on his feet inside of 20 yards there are no limits to what these kids can accomplish. I think the ceiling of the top end of that Spanish group was higher than any of our guys may end up being in terms of individual ability, but the amount of exceptional depth we have in the midfield and back line is as good as that their group and they're all VERY young. They will have 2-3 full WC cycles together and several may even be together for 4 cycles. That's rare and could be very special. The key thing that differentiates them, though, is we don't currently have a David Villa or Fernando Torres.

I am still very excite.

I noticed you left out Sargent and Robinson from your list of players. Was that because you're souring on them or there were just too many to include them all? Can't leave out Konrad too. He hasn't done much yet, but you don't just accidentally find yourself in the Barca first team.

Last edited:

Purp

I can’t support a team because of one player, although I can easily dislike a team due to one player. Ronaldo when he went to Real is an example. I loved Ruud when he was at ManU but I could never ever support ManU. They could have 8 Americans in the starting lineup and I would still despise them.
I've never cared much about Serie A so it's easier for me. I know Juve have been the dominant club there for pretty much my entire life, but I've never really put a dog in that hunt. If I was randomly watching a Serie A match I'd root for whoever was playing Juve, Milan, or Inter; that was the extent of my interest there, though. The only exception to this was that half season or so that Gooch was healthy at Milan. With Weston now at Juve I'm fine putting my support behind the club as long as he's there. When he leaves I'll go back to the way I was.

I'm different in EPL, Bundesliga, and La Liga, though. Even with Dest and Konrad at Barca I really like seeing them lose; I just hope Dest and Konrad play well in the loss. Similarly, I'm rooting like hell for Richards, but I still hope they lose every game ever at Bayern. Won't happen, but it's my earnest wish. And Christian Pulisic could be my brother-in-law, but I'd still root against Chelsea every time they took the pitch except for maybe against United or City. I hope Steffen loses 1-nil every time he starts for City and the only concession each time is a PK or an own goal. The exception here is when they play Spurs in the EFL final. I'd like to see Steffen not play and Kane, Son, and Lloris all win hat tricks in a rout.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

I've said it before, but this crop of young Americans is a world class finisher away from being like the golden generation of Spain with Pique, Sergio Ramos, Iniesta, David Silva, Cesc Fabregas, Fernando Torres. Grouped with guys a few years older like Casillas, Xabi Alonso, Xavi Hernandez, and David Villa they dominated the world for a decade. If we can just find a genuine threat to score every time the ball is on his feet inside of 20 yards there are no limits to what these kids can accomplish. I think the ceiling of the top end of that Spanish group was higher than any of our guys may end up being in terms of individual ability, but the amount of exceptional depth we have in the midfield and back line is as good as that their group and they're all VERY young. They will have 2-3 full WC cycles together and several may even be together for 4 cycles. That's rare and could be very special. The key thing that differentiates them, though, is we don't currently have a David Villa or Fernando Torres.

I am still very excite.

I noticed you left out Sargent and Robinson from your list of players. Was that because you're souring on them or there were just to many to include them all? Can't leave out Konrad too. He hasn't done much yet, but you don't just accidentally find yourself in the Barca first team.

Did that list off the top of my head. Just forgot them. Soto too.

Purp

Did that list off the top of my head. Just forgot them. Soto too.
I still can't get over that midfield, though. Adams, McKennie, and Musah in the center of the park with Gio on a wing. Just imagine Pulisic on the other wing. And Dest running in behind Gio on the left. It's a stunning group on paper and on the pitch. Hope to see them all together at least a couple times this summer.

Moose Stuff

I still can't get over that midfield, though. Adams, McKennie, and Musah in the center of the park with Gio on a wing. Just imagine Pulisic on the other wing. And Dest running in behind Gio on the left. It's a stunning group on paper and on the pitch. Hope to see them all together at least a couple times this summer.

The truly amazing part is how fast it happened. A year ago this was barely even really on the radar.

And I don't know if we're gonna find a world class striker but a year ago we were staring at Jozy and Zardes and now it's Weah, Soto, Hoppe, Sargent, Dike, Akinola (maybe).....

Purp

The truly amazing part is how fast it happened. A year ago this was barely even really on the radar.

And I don't know if we're gonna find a world class striker but a year ago we were staring at Jozy and Zardes and now it's Weah, Soto, Hoppe, Sargent, Dike, Akinola (maybe).....
I'm still hopeful Konrad can break into that group too as a striker.

But you're right. The only guy at the beginning of 2020 that anyone thought that much of was Pulisic, but he was a 50/50 shot at being healthy so it's was hard to get too excited about him. McKennie was solid, but not what he's become. Adams had potential, but I'm not sure anyone expected him to be what he's become. I guess Dest would have been approaching the Pulisic level, but he'd literally just announced he'd chosen the Nats over the Dutch. Then Musah out of left field. And Gio has been an instant revelation.

I think what makes the excitement about this group even greater is this all came together in 2020 when we almost didn't even get to see them play together at all. What happens when they get a couple more camps in together and a tournament behind them? I think what we saw against Wales and Panama was a fraction of the potential this group has. This summer can't get here fast enough.

My worry is that the best talent will get split between the Olympic team and the Gold Cup squad. Before that I think we may see them split again between the Nations League and U-20 WC. If we go all summer without seeing our best 11 together in a few matches I'll have a really tough time suppressing the excitement for when it finally does happen. The longer we go without seeing them all together the more and more it builds. I really hope Berhalter commits to trying to win one or two of these tournaments this summer. Darn Mexico.