• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Saw this stat yesterday. My gut tells me this will happen several more times over the next decade and isn't always going to be these same 3 players. Jermaine Jones wasn't a huge scorer so that was kinda fluky. Hell, Claudio wasn't exactly a talisman either and especially at his age then. We're going to see this happen again a lot sooner than the last gap.

Moose Stuff

Seattle/Minn MLS semi last night was about as good as it gets for entertainment (at least as far as MLS goes). Seattle scored 3 times in the last 20 minutes and got the winner literally at the death in stoppage time to win 3-2.

Chongo94

Seattle/Minn MLS semi last night was about as good as it gets for entertainment (at least as far as MLS goes). Seattle scored 3 times in the last 20 minutes and got the winner literally at the death in stoppage time to win 3-2.

You could feel the second goal coming, but I didn’t think, even with all that pressure, that there was enough time for a third goal to outright win it.

Apparently that is the third time Minnesota have been up on Seattle in stoppage time, and the third time they’ve lost.

Moose Stuff

Literally every last one of these kids just keeps getting better right before our eyes. I'm getting irrational about 2026.... except that it might not be irrational so much anymore.

Purp

Those 2010 and 2014 teams were severely impacted, IMO, by Stu Holden's injury. I felt like he was the elite, steady creator that Landon and Deuce needed to balance their free-flowing styles and that Jozy needed to get reliable service in dangerous places. He was a vital piece going into 2010 and his career ended as soon as I bought his jersey.

The Corey Gibbs injury in 2006 was another crucial injury that spoiled a promising WC run. I was really pumped about that back line with Dolo on the right, Gooch and Boca in the center, and Gibbs on the left. This really started the streak of a snake bit left back position.

My point with these examples is depth. One vital guy went down in the past and effectively sunk all our hopes. Not so with this young crop. We're at least 1 deep with high quality talent at every position except the #9, but even then if our best #9 goes down (who even is that guy?) the gap in talent to the next guy is quite small. I mean, we just had a great showing without Pulisic for crying out loud. It's nice to not have to worry about an injury to a starter, especially when several seem injury prone.

Moose Stuff

Those 2010 and 2014 teams were severely impacted, IMO, by Stu Holden's injury. I felt like he was the elite, steady creator that Landon and Deuce needed to balance their free-flowing styles and that Jozy needed to get reliable service in dangerous places. He was a vital piece going into 2010 and his career ended as soon as I bought his jersey.

The Corey Gibbs injury in 2006 was another crucial injury that spoiled a promising WC run. I was really pumped about that back line with Dolo on the right, Gooch and Boca in the center, and Gibbs on the left. This really started the streak of a snake bit left back position.

My point with these examples is depth. One vital guy went down in the past and effectively sunk all our hopes. Not so with this young crop. We're at least 1 deep with high quality talent at every position except the #9, but even then if our best #9 goes down (who even is that guy?) the gap in talent to the next guy is quite small. I mean, we just had a great showing without Pulisic for crying out loud. It's nice to not have to worry about an injury to a starter, especially when several seem injury prone.

Totally agree on Holden, he was gonna be real good. Charlie Davies is another injury that really hurt us.