• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Sadly, been thinking this about Sargent for a while now. Seems as if he’s evolving into an Altidore+...as in he does everything the same way Altidore does only just a bit better.

I guess if some other striker develops and we played two up front he could be very useful but right now, my enthusiasm for him is waning.

Purp

Sadly, been thinking this about Sargent for a while now. Seems as if he’s evolving into an Altidore+...as in he does everything the same way Altidore does only just a bit better.

I guess if some other striker develops and we played two up front he could be very useful but right now, my enthusiasm for him is waning.
I'd be okay with an Altidore+ as long as the + included a better work rate. A big part of me thinks Altidore might have been more productive if he'd been getting world class service his whole career from guys like Pulisic and Reyna. Not that Deuce and Donovan were worthless, but neither of those guys was wearing the number 10 for a top English club or having the type of start to his career that Reyna is for a club like Dortmund. Maybe the increased quality of the supporting cast can make an Altidore+ look more like an Altidore+++. If so I'd be quite happy with that as long as we had another quality striker option to pair with him.

Eight

how much of being a truly effective striker is about things like instinct and timing over the physical skills?

Chongo94

how much of being a truly effective striker is about things like instinct and timing over the physical skills?

I played defense so obviously I had none of the above ha.

But I get what you’re saying. Seems as if many of the coaches within the USSF see big guys and big speedy guys and salivate despite the fact that said guys may have the touch of a tree and the instincts and composure of a terrified giraffe.

Moose Stuff

But I get what you’re saying. Seems as if many of the coaches within the USSF see big guys and big speedy guys and salivate despite the fact that said guys may have the touch of a tree and the instincts and composure of a terrified giraffe.

One of the things I loathe most about Altidore is that he lacks fluid/natural soccer actions. Nothing he does looks easy. I don't enjoy watching him play at all.

Eight

keep thinking about romario who played for brazil back in the 90's. the guy was a vulture inside the box and just always seemed to be the one who could get a foot on loose balls or crosses played into the box.