• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Mean Purple

Nothing will happen. We will continue to get recruiting classes in the 20’s and 30’s, play great defense and have great teams when the team is junior and senior heavy with talent, especially at QB and safety. I swear to god some of you sound like you want the program to fail.

We are not winning 10+ every year. It’s not happening. Hardly any teams do so.

How many teams would NOT switch results with TCU over the past 10 seasons? I think their might be 5.

Geez, Peace, you've gotten so negative lately. :)

Mean Purple

they point to a crowd of 100,000, light up lockers, facilities in regards to academics that blow us away, they point to the number of nfl players which is more than tcu, and a national title from 2008 trumps a bowl game and it isn't even freaking close.

they freaking don't hide from the outside world. the simple fact tcu doens't even have an open spring game because of gary's paranoia is scheissing embarrassing. that should be a chance to invite every high school coach in the state to come down and talk, visit, see the facilities because you would be amazed by the number of high school coaches who don't know what tcu has to offer.

additionally, they are surrounded by people blowing the ut horn non stop and i can tell you in the houston area even at their worst there was more conversation about texas in the media than tcu.
It is the flagship school of the state. and we do have an uphill climb in recruiting against it. That said, I'm no so worried about stars. Our teams seem to develop better when we focus on the right fit. At least that is what has beaten the higher stars at ut the majority of the games we have played them while in the big 12.

FrogLifeYo

Doubt what you want - the difference is I don't have guess or act like I know when I don't - I have had Coach Saban sitting in my living room telling me glorious stories of grandeur and predictions of fame and fortune for my grandson before.

He flat out told my oldest grandson he would for sure see some playing time his RS freshman year if was willing to redshirt and "significant" time his sophomore year with a couple of chances to start - even though Bama had a RS sophomore and a junior starting that year at his position plus 1 junior, 1 sophomore and 2 RS freshman on the 2 deep already.

Even my grandson didn't believe him since he played against a couple of those kids his entire life and knew how good they were plus everyone on the chart was a junior or younger.

However, he still chose Bama, RS is 1st year, never saw the field his RS Freshman year, played in 3 quarters his RS Soph year - all 4th quarter body bag games, played in parts of 10 games his RS junior year but never a start and was the starter his Senior year.

Just like anyone with a brain would figure at Bama since that is the story with about 75% of their players that aren't super stars.

But kids are never told that by the staff including Saban. Just because they are Bama doesn't mean they don't spin stories and make up whatever sounds good just like everyone else.
Is your grandson by any chance a 320 pound OL with eligibility left...I know a school that would welcome him :)

netty2424

Might as well rename this thread #TCUTEARS. My goodness some of you just thrive on negativity. You crave it in the morning the way I crave donuts.
giphy.gif

froginmn

Just giving you guys the two week notice of early signing day and asking for input on whether we want a 2019 Recruiting Thread Part 2 to discuss players that do not sign early. It caused mass confusion in 2018, which I enjoyed but I’m sure others did not. Thoughts? Yay or nay?
How about a recruiting news thread, to go along with whatever this thread has become?

CryptoMiner

Top JUCO TE Travis Koontz is on his TCU visit and headed to Lubbock afterwards. He is expected to sign the 19th and right now it appears between Pitt, UConn, TCU and Tech. Georgia expected to jump in if Nuata announces he is going pro before the 19th. Pitt appears to be the longshot but are working hard on getting him back (former Pitt commit).

Last edited:

CryptoMiner

In case you may have missed this, McLane Mannix offered his explanation on why he is transferring from Nevada (and why an NCAA waiver is likely). TCU very much an option if they can find an opening:

I would like to clear up any confusion about me not going to Coach Norvell and telling him that I was going to transfer from Nevada. I went to Coach Norvell’s office Monday after the banquet to let him know in person and he was not in his office. I immediately texted him and asked to meet with him. That’s when he told me he was out of town recruiting and Coach Mumme called me directly after that and I explained the situation.

First, I want to express my sadness for having to leave this group of talented coaches and teammates as well as the fans who have supported NEVADA football. We have worked hard to build this program into a contender and I assure you it will continue to get better. My decision to leave Nevada football is based on the health of my mother and that is the reason I am transferring. I wanted to make this statement so all these rumors could be put to rest and I could share the true reason I am transferring.

In 2010, my mother was involved in a tragic accident that involved her being trapped in a fire and she suffered second- and third-degree burns to 90 percent of her back requiring extensive skin grafting surgery and excruciatingly painful debridement. A month after the accident she was diagnosed with PTSD. Last summer when she read that fires in Nevada were getting close to Reno it triggered her PTSD symptoms.

This fall she was diagnosed with stomach ulcers from the stress and anxiety related to these fires and continues to be treated for these symptoms. She was able to attend my games this year but later in the season the California fires became another trigger as she knew what she was flying into and and I was playing football in these areas.

When my mom told me she didn’t think she would be able to come to any more games on the West Coast, I knew things were getting serious and I needed to make a change to allow her to heal. I love this group of coaches and miss my teammates already, but I can’t function normally knowing my mother’s health concerns are directly related to the area I chose to go to school and play the sport I love.

Sincerely,

McLane Mannix #1

WOLF PACK FOREVER!!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
they point to a crowd of 100,000, light up lockers, facilities in regards to academics that blow us away, they point to the number of nfl players which is more than tcu, and a national title from 2008 trumps a bowl game and it isn't even freaking close.

they freaking don't hide from the outside world. the simple fact tcu doens't even have an open spring game because of gary's paranoia is scheissing embarrassing. that should be a chance to invite every high school coach in the state to come down and talk, visit, see the facilities because you would be amazed by the number of high school coaches who don't know what tcu has to offer.

additionally, they are surrounded by people blowing the ut horn non stop and i can tell you in the houston area even at their worst there was more conversation about texas in the media than tcu.
TCU will never, ever, get the same Media tongue bath that UT does. Ever. It is a simple matter of ratings: There are more of them. The latest missive from the TCU Alumni Assoc. has the number of living TCU alumni at 90,000. UT squirts out that many every two years. In terms of people staying tuned through the commercials after the tease, we are literally nobody in comparison. This carries over into the National arena as well, with the programming emphasis on Name Brand programs guaranteed to bring with them a sizable number of eyeballs and clicks. You know this just as well as I.

As an aside, being a long-suffering viewer of Houston local programming, I have often joked that TCU may as well be located on the far side of the Moon given the paucity of coverage featuring our purple-clad warriors. Someone not paying too much attention would get the strong impression that there are only two programs in the great state of Texas: UT and A&M. I am sure this carries over to the rest of the local media in the State as well, with small exceptions given for proximity...

With this strong headwind, it is a wonder to me that TCU has done as well as they have over the last few years recruiting-wise. Sadly, a lot of the kids recruited haven't worked out for one reason or another, and we cannot afford to be shorthanded given tuition costs and the resulting lack of walk-ons. I can remember GMFP saying numerous times that "It isn't the ones you don't get that kill you, it's the ones who you do get that don't work out." The last two years have been brutal in terms of injuries and players leaving. I see from this thread that we have 29 spots available this signing season, slightly over a third of the 85 scholarship limit. This class will be a huge determiner of future success. A Baby Boom, as it were. Patterson and his recruiters have a chance to fill a lot of holes and shore up the weak spots, while developing a good core of players who will anchor the next half-decade. He cannot afford to have a lot of "ones that don't work out" in this bunch.

Gary Patterson the Coach, simply based on what I have seen in a few instances of him among his peers, is a guy that commands absolute respect. That deal last year during the Playoff was magnificent, with those other coaches literally hanging on his every word. Totally unscripted. It just happened. My only knowledge of his interactions with High School coaches is the local long-time coach (retired in June) who was a Briles devotee didn't much like him. But that was based on who his mentor was, and not anything else. The local coffee-shop geezers, who are bewilderingly knowledgeable about all this somehow, are very much fans of Patterson and wish that more of the local kids would head up to Fort Worth. Those anecdotes aside, he is the longest tenured Head Coach in the BIGXII and has been stomping the recruiting trail in this State a long time. He has had the chance to get to know all the H.S. Coaches along the way, and to the best of my scarce knowledge, has treated them and the kids they coached right. While you are correct that Gary is an introvert, and it has been interesting to watch him build up the public persona we see at Alumni events and fundraisers, it is fun to see the inner Gary pop out from time to time. I like to think he has a number of H.S. guys he can be himself with, and not be the careful, measured guy we see behind a microphone.

What is the point of this rambling essay? This: We're not the Big State School, and we never will be. This is a disadvantage at times, and an advantage in some others. Will we always get the Big Star? Nope. We rarely will. Will we get somebody close? Yep. Will those guys always work out? Nope. We have had a run of truly ghastly bad luck lately. Like all streaks, it will turn around. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I believe the Head Coach knows what he's doing, and keeps his cards very, very close to the vest. Like you, I think the lack of a Spring Game is silly. I think it would serve to mislead opponents more than clue them in on things if played right, and give the fans a nice showcase to enjoy on a lovely Spring day.

Bruce Berry

TCU will never, ever, get the same Media tongue bath that UT does. Ever. It is a simple matter of ratings: There are more of them. The latest missive from the TCU Alumni Assoc. has the number of living TCU alumni at 90,000. UT squirts out that many every two years. In terms of people staying tuned through the commercials after the tease, we are literally nobody in comparison. This carries over into the National arena as well, with the programming emphasis on Name Brand programs guaranteed to bring with them a sizable number of eyeballs and clicks. You know this just as well as I.

As an aside, being a long-suffering viewer of Houston local programming, I have often joked that TCU may as well be located on the far side of the Moon given the paucity of coverage featuring our purple-clad warriors. Someone not paying too much attention would get the strong impression that there are only two programs in the great state of Texas: UT and A&M. I am sure this carries over to the rest of the local media in the State as well, with small exceptions given for proximity...

With this strong headwind, it is a wonder to me that TCU has done as well as they have over the last few years recruiting-wise. Sadly, a lot of the kids recruited haven't worked out for one reason or another, and we cannot afford to be shorthanded given tuition costs and the resulting lack of walk-ons. I can remember GMFP saying numerous times that "It isn't the ones you don't get that kill you, it's the ones who you do get that don't work out." The last two years have been brutal in terms of injuries and players leaving. I see from this thread that we have 29 spots available this signing season, slightly over a third of the 85 scholarship limit. This class will be a huge determiner of future success. A Baby Boom, as it were. Patterson and his recruiters have a chance to fill a lot of holes and shore up the weak spots, while developing a good core of players who will anchor the next half-decade. He cannot afford to have a lot of "ones that don't work out" in this bunch.

Gary Patterson the Coach, simply based on what I have seen in a few instances of him among his peers, is a guy that commands absolute respect. That deal last year during the Playoff was magnificent, with those other coaches literally hanging on his every word. Totally unscripted. It just happened. My only knowledge of his interactions with High School coaches is the local long-time coach (retired in June) who was a Briles devotee didn't much like him. But that was based on who his mentor was, and not anything else. The local coffee-shop geezers, who are bewilderingly knowledgeable about all this somehow, are very much fans of Patterson and wish that more of the local kids would head up to Fort Worth. Those anecdotes aside, he is the longest tenured Head Coach in the BIGXII and has been stomping the recruiting trail in this State a long time. He has had the chance to get to know all the H.S. Coaches along the way, and to the best of my scarce knowledge, has treated them and the kids they coached right. While you are correct that Gary is an introvert, and it has been interesting to watch him build up the public persona we see at Alumni events and fundraisers, it is fun to see the inner Gary pop out from time to time. I like to think he has a number of H.S. guys he can be himself with, and not be the careful, measured guy we see behind a microphone.

What is the point of this rambling essay? This: We're not the Big State School, and we never will be. This is a disadvantage at times, and an advantage in some others. Will we always get the Big Star? Nope. We rarely will. Will we get somebody close? Yep. Will those guys always work out? Nope. We have had a run of truly ghastly bad luck lately. Like all streaks, it will turn around. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I believe the Head Coach knows what he's doing, and keeps his cards very, very close to the vest. Like you, I think the lack of a Spring Game is silly. I think it would serve to mislead opponents more than clue them in on things if played right, and give the fans a nice showcase to enjoy on a lovely Spring day.

Can someone please give me the abridged version of this post. Have we signed someone? Thanks.

CryptoMiner

Top JUCO TE Travis Koontz is on his TCU visit and headed to Lubbock afterwards. He is expected to sign the 19th and right now it appears between Pitt, UConn, TCU and Tech. Georgia expected to jump in if Nuata announces he is going pro before the 19th. Pitt appears to be the longshot but are working hard on getting him back (former Pitt commit).

Also Koontz has finals early next week (Mon, Tues & Wed). Tech visit may be key and hopefully he will be impressed by TCU while here.

Joe2001

I’ve been told by someone real close to Darwin Barlow that he is seriously looking around for another place to land. Darwin is not doing it for fun. Something is going on in his recruitment. Wasn’t told what it is although I asked multiple times. Just keep your eyes and ears open fellas. Barlow is not totally sold on TCU even if his boys are completely sold. Don’t shoot me. I’m just telling you from someone who is real, real close to Darwin.

jake102

I’ve been told by someone real close to Darwin Barlow that he is seriously looking around for another place to land. Darwin is not doing it for fun. Something is going on in his recruitment. Wasn’t told what it is although I asked multiple times. Just keep your eyes and ears open fellas. Barlow is not totally sold on TCU even if his boys are completely sold. Don’t shoot me. I’m just telling you from someone who is real, real close to Darwin.

He's my favorite of the Newton 3. I like his tape just as much as Foster.

Frog-in-law1995

Welcome to KFc!

Bob Sugar

If true, it could easily be that he doesn't want to be the 2nd highest ranked RB in a school's recruiting class. Would hate to lose him, but its understandable if that's the case, IMHO. Its not like he and Foster are the thunder-lightning equivalent of Reggie Bush and LenDale White or Anderson/Sewo. Both are about 5'11" and 190 lbs.

Joe2001

If true, it could easily be that he doesn't want to be the 2nd highest ranked RB in a school's recruiting class. Would hate to lose him, but its understandable if that's the case, IMHO. Its not like he and Foster are the thunder-lightning equivalent of Reggie Bush and LenDale White or Anderson/Sewo. Both are about 5'11" and 190 lbs.

This could be the reason. I have no clue what it is and couldn’t get the reason why out of this person, who is very close to Darwin. But it does seem Darwin is close to deciding where to take a visit next week. I was told one possibility where Darwin could go take a visit but I’m not going to say where because it sounds preposterous to me. Just keep an eye out for Darwin’s movements next week. I hope we can keep the young man. But we will be ok regardless.