• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Bizarro Frog

huh? barkley and viramon would be the 2nd and 3rd juco commits of this class.

far, far, far cry from some of the juco heavy classes signed by snyder's ksu program and barkely and misi are 4 to play 3 juco's.

bulk of the class are high school kids, plant is a bit of an untraditional recruit, but is a high school kid and the juco's are addressing areas that either need depth/competition or play makers.
I was just making a joke. It seems like we have been targeting them heavier than before. I see nothing wrong with it just struck me as unusual this recruiting session.

CryptoMiner

Why do you guess that?

Not hard to figure out (I think you can say he has decommitted):

https://twitter.com/Jasonvaughn25/with_replies?lang=en

18|DE COMMITTED to....
1f58a.png
ZsLqalUw_400x400.jpg

Last edited:

Eight

I was just making a joke. It seems like we have been targeting them heavier than before. I see nothing wrong with it just struck me as unusual this recruiting session.

except that since joining the big 12 in every recruiting with the exception of 2015 the frogs have ended up signing at least 1 juco and that in the last 3 classes they ended up with 13 juco's and 17 in the last 5 classes.

FrogLifeYo

only question here is why did charlie wait so long to offer the kid if he has known this kid for quite sometime.

strong isn't at uf or texas where he can get into any home he wants when recruting
Classic Let TCU do all the evaluating...Happens every year..I am more and more convinced that the TCU staff is doing most the evaluation work for about 30 programs around the country..

Eight

Classic Let TCU do all the evaluating...Happens every year..I am more and more convinced that the TCU staff is doing most the evaluation work for about 30 programs around the country..

listened to jeremy the other day on his podcast and he called this and he emphasized the relationship charlie had with the kid.

i also got the impression there was something else out there about either the kid or a player not yet known, named, etc......that made this a nonfactor at this position for the program.

might not be interpreting what he said properly, but he didn't seem shocked or felt there was reason for alarm.

he did also say filakitonga was someone who might make some noise at defensive tackle.

Moose Stuff

listened to jeremy the other day on his podcast and he called this and he emphasized the relationship charlie had with the kid.

i also got the impression there was something else out there about either the kid or a player not yet known, named, etc......that made this a nonfactor at this position for the program.

might not be interpreting what he said properly, but he didn't seem shocked or felt there was reason for alarm.

he did also say filakitonga was someone who might make some noise at defensive tackle.

I believe he said that we were totally OK with the kid going elsewhere and he’d elaborate after signing day.

FrogLifeYo

I believe he said that we were totally OK with the kid going elsewhere and he’d elaborate after signing day.
I’m hoping it’s because Parker and someone else decides TCU is the right spot..We seem to often have a silent commitment or two in the wings..I’m really hoping that’s the case here

SuperTFrog

For those of you who discount starsies, below are the average of the last 5 recruiting classes:

Bama - 1.8
Ohio St - 3.6
Georgia - 4.8
Clemson - 11.8
Notre Dame - 11.8
OU - 13

You can lose with elite players (look at USC and Texas) but you can’t win consistently without elite players.

We need more starsies!

FrogLifeYo

For those of you who discount starsies, below are the average of the last 5 recruiting classes:

Bama - 1.8
Ohio St - 3.6
Georgia - 4.8
Clemson - 11.8
Notre Dame - 11.8
OU - 13

You can lose with elite players (look at USC and Texas) but you can’t win consistently without elite players.

We need more starsies!
Sure we need more stars but we are going to have to breakthrough with less in order to get them..We will never get the benefit of doubt with national recruits. We have no choice but to kick the door down.

Eight

had lunch today with a friend who was a long time high school coach in deep east texas until he retired and his wife decided they needed to move "closer to civilization and the grandchildren".

conversation turned to newton and he said he had never seen a high school team of that level with 3 athletes of the caliber of barlow, brown, and foster on one team and specifically playing offense. he recalls the great daingerfield team that had one of the all time great high school defenses in texas history (they gave up 8 points for the entire 1983 season), but not sure he has seen one offense at this level with three athletes of the level newton has with darwin, josh, and tamauzia.

he also stressed that josh foster gets overlooked, but is a great athlete in his own right.

i looked at the numbers for the three through 12-games and it is a pretty compelling argument.

tamauzia brown (6 games)
27 catches for 562 yards and 4 td's (20.8 ypc)

15 rushes for 165 yards and 4 td's (11.0 ypr)

42 total touches for 727 yards and 8 td's (17.3 ypp and a td every 5.25 touches)

josh foster (12 games)
65 completions out of 108 attempts for 1,357 yards and 10 td's

60 rushes for 607 yards and 13 td's (10.0 ypr)

11 catches for 305 yards and 6 td's (27.7 ypc)

179 total touches for 2,269 yards and 29 td's (12.7 ypp and a td every 6.2 touches)

to give you an idea of the athletic ability of josh when brown was out foster played qb and wr for newton. in his first game at wr he had 4 catches for 151 yards and 3 td's

now the silly numbers

darwin barlow (12 games)
155 rushes for 2,016 yards and 36 td's (14.1 ypr)

11 catches for 209 yards and 1 td (19.0 ypc)

1 pass for 8 yards and 1 td

167 total touches for 2,233 yards and 38 td's (14.1 ypp and a td every 4.1 touches)

interestingly, the team newton plays friday night in lufkin is daingerfield. they have athletes and tradition, but this is not the 1983 defense. if you are in the area however and want to see three great future frogs 7:30 on friday, december 7th at lufkin.

Last edited:

CryptoMiner

had lunch today with a friend who was a long time high school coach in deep east texas until he retired and his wife decided they needed to move "closer to civilization and the grandchildren".

conversation turned to newton and he said he had never seen a high school team of that level with 3 athletes of the caliber of barlow, brown, and foster on one team and specifically playing offense. he recalls the great daingerfield team that had one of the all time great high school defenses in texas history (they gave up 8 points for the entire 1983 season), but not sure he has seen one offense at this level with three athletes of the level newton has with darwin, josh, and tamauzia.

he also stressed that josh foster gets overlooked, but is a great athlete in his own right.

i looked at the numbers for the three through 12-games and it is a pretty compelling argument.

tamauzia brown (6 games)
27 catches for 562 yards and 4 td's (20.8 ypc)

15 rushes for 165 yards and 4 td's (11.0 ypr)

42 total touches for 727 yards and 8 td's (17.3 ypp and a td every 5.25 touches)

josh foster (12 games)
65 completions out of 108 attempts for 1,357 yards and 10 td's

60 rushes for 607 yards and 13 td's (10.0 ypr)

11 catches for 305 yards and 6 td's (27.7 ypc)

179 total touches for 2,269 yards and 29 td's (12.7 ypp and a td every 6.2 touches)

to give you an idea of the athletic ability of josh when brown was out foster played qb and wr for newton. in his first game at wr he had 4 catches for 151 yards and 3 td's

so he never saw Dwight Smith and that powerful Carthage team....