• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Wexahu

Man, I have a hard time seeing him getting let go after one tough year breaking in a new QB and a rebuilt OL. I guess he could leave on his own but not sure what the market is for a very well paid OC whose offense wasn’t very good.

I'm admittedly more down on the offense than some, but I don't think it's a case where we've had one down year. I think we won last year almost in spite of the offense. 2016 wasn't good either IMO. I know someone can throw a few stats out that would refute this but I'm just going off what I see and in virtually every game we've played in the past few years I've been much more worried about the offense performing than the defense. I think numbers can be very misleading at times.

I also think GP has had about enough of this system and there may be some conflicting POVs in the room.

MinFrog

Offensive rankings in the past 6 years (including this year):
104, 5, 3, 29, 45, 59

Avg yards:
344, 533, 562, 463, 419, 414

Wins:
4, 12, 11, 6, 11, 3-3

It looks like we need another Boykin and quick.

YA

Cumbie isn’t getting fired and to even suggest it is laughable.

He leaves and you can kiss lots of our recruits out the door, including the incoming QB.

It just isn’t happening that he will get fired.

Moose Stuff

Cumbie isn’t getting fired and to even suggest it is laughable.

He leaves and you can kiss lots of our recruits out the door, including the incoming QB.

It just isn’t happening that he will get fired.

I don’t think it’s happening either but 6 more games like the last 3 and it’s far from laughable to suggest it.

PO Frog

I'm admittedly more down on the offense than some, but I don't think it's a case where we've had one down year. I think we won last year almost in spite of the offense. 2016 wasn't good either IMO. I know someone can throw a few stats out that would refute this but I'm just going off what I see and in virtually every game we've played in the past few years I've been much more worried about the offense performing than the defense. I think numbers can be very misleading at times.

I also think GP has had about enough of this system and there may be some conflicting POVs in the room.
Man I’ve been thinking this a little bit as far back as 2104. I know it’s sacrilege to say anything negative about that team and/or Boykin and Doctson but there we times when even that team absolutely grinded to a halt and looked hopeless. Remember how awful we were offensively against Minny to start the year? The many busts at Ok State and several others. We made up for it with some majorly high scoring games over the years but I’ve been a little nervous about our consistency for a long time. At first it was such a relief just to have a somewhat coherent plan after the Anderson disaster, but that low hanging fruit wore off pretty quickly.

Moose Stuff

Man I’ve been thinking this a little bit as far back as 2104. I know it’s sacrilege to say anything negative about that team and/or Boykin and Doctson but there we times when even that team absolutely grinded to a halt and looked hopeless. Remember how awful we were offensively against Minny to start the year? The many busts at Ok State and several others. We made up for it with some majorly high scoring games over the years but I’ve been a little nervous about our consistency for a long time. At first it was such a relief just to have a somewhat coherent plan after the Anderson disaster, but that low hanging fruit wore off pretty quickly.

You’re tough to please. Those 2014/2015 teams both finished in the top 5 in total offense.

PO Frog

You’re tough to please. Those 2014/2015 teams both finished in the top 5 in total offense.
I am. I just see so many offenses with free runners show up seemingly every third play and can’t remember the last time we outschemed someone. Seems like all of our yards come from out-executing folks, which we don’t really do this year...

CountryFrog

Offensive rankings in the past 6 years (including this year):
104, 5, 3, 29, 45, 59

Avg yards:
344, 533, 562, 463, 419, 414

Wins:
4, 12, 11, 6, 11, 3-3

It looks like we need another Boykin and quick.
Imo thisjust illustrates how close we really are to being very good. Our yardage is almost identical to last year's production when we won 11 games. The difference obviously is the glut of turnovers that have plagued this year's offense.

Obviously getting another Boykin level QB or Doctson level talent would take us even to the next level but those guys didn't become that until their Jr years. We may have those types of players on the roster already and they're just young making mistakes and/or haven't gotten the opportunities yet.