• The KillerFrogs

2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

Eight

College baseball lost a good one.

Tony Robichaux dead at 57. UL Lafayette for 25 years

"Tony Robichaux, who spent 25 seasons coaching the University of Louisiana at Lafayette baseball team, died Wednesday morning with his family and loved ones at his side at Ochsner Medical Center in New Orleans. He was 57.

Robichaux took the Ragin’ Cajuns on their only trip to the College World Series. He won more than 1,000 career games.

He was a molder of men, a deeply religious person who took more satisfaction in preparing college-aged kids for life — faith, fatherhood, fortitude — than he did in low ERAs and high batting averages.

“When I look at my most-successful former players,” Robichaux said in a 2008 interview with ultoday.com, “I ask, ‘Are they off drugs and alcohol? How’s their marriage? How are their kids?’

“Life’s personal and professional challenges are the real game, not baseball.

“I tell players that life is like a table, with four legs: athletic, academic, spiritual & social,” Robichaux added at the time. “If we just let them play baseball, we have a one-legged table, one that can’t handle burdens. We don’t send out one-legged tables from our program.” "

part of the article about robichaux in the daily advertiser