• The KillerFrogs

2019 MLB Thread

MTfrog5

If Roberts the most over rated manager in baseball right now? Seems like he is constantly making moves that aren’t thought out. Hell you can put a ton of blame on him when the Astros won their title

FBallFan123

If Roberts the most over rated manager in baseball right now? Seems like he is constantly making moves that aren’t thought out. Hell you can put a ton of blame on him when the Astros won their title

The only thing I’m not sure about with Roberts is how much some of these decisions are on him or on the “analytics” department.....who he sometimes seems like just a mouthpiece for.

He came out before the game saying he was gonna go to Kershaw after Buehler.

Im still not sure know why.

steelfrog

Tier 1
The Kershaw decision was decidedly not an analytics decision. Kershaw is the WORST ERA in the playoffs guy in history for pitchers with 10+ innings, and his second half sucked. I mean you've got 5+ better guys on that team to piggy back with, from a statistics standpoint.

Moose Stuff

The Kershaw decision was decidedly not an analytics decision. Kershaw is the WORST ERA in the playoffs guy in history for pitchers with 10+ innings, and his second half sucked. I mean you've got 5+ better guys on that team to piggy back with from a statistics standpoint.

I have no idea if it was an analytics decision, but that’s not how analytics works. In no scenario would analytics advise a move based solely on playoff data. A manager might make a move like that though.

Moose Stuff

The only thing I’m not sure about with Roberts is how much some of these decisions are on him or on the “analytics” department.....who he sometimes seems like just a mouthpiece for.

He came out before the game saying he was gonna go to Kershaw after Buehler.

Im still not sure know why.

There are ABSOLUTLEY in game decisions being made by certain teams based SOLELY on analytics. Kind of like what Army is doing where they go for it on 4th down based solely on percentages given to them by an analyst.

FBallFan123

The Kershaw decision was decidedly not an analytics decision. Kershaw is the WORST ERA in the playoffs guy in history for pitchers with 10+ innings, and his second half sucked. I mean you've got 5+ better guys on that team to piggy back with, from a statistics standpoint.

As Moose points out, "analytics" wouldn't be based on a broad statistic like career playoff ERA.

But these days we really don't know what's going into making some of these decisions.

That Roberts telegraphed the move before the game suggests it was a group decision.

But there's more than just one decision in the "Kershaw decision".

I mean, they bring him in with 2 on and 2 out in the 7th, and he gets Adam Eaton to strike out.

That decision worked.

But the decision to leave him in to pitch the 8th.

The decision to leave him in to face Soto after the HR.

Maybe it was just Roberts staying with his guy. Was listening to LA Times writer Arash Markazi on with Jim Rome this morning and that's what he suggested, but I don't think anybody outside the organization knows.

FBallFan123

There are ABSOLUTLEY in game decisions being made by certain teams based SOLELY on analytics. Kind of like what Army is doing where they go for it on 4th down based solely on percentages given to them by an analyst.

Agreed.

But the interesting thing about using starting pitchers out of the pen is it's kind of an "analytics" gray area.

It's an extremely small sample size, even for guys who've done it before...so it can't be based solely on "data".

There needs to be some feel for it....and Kershaw pitching in the 8th seemed to lack any feel.

Using starters as relievers is a growing trend in the playoffs, though.

Kershaw and Scherzer have probably done it more than most...and the results for both have been mixed.

And Kershaw isn't the pitcher he used to be.

But it has worked out great some times...Bumgarner in '14 for the Giants, Charlie Morton for the Astros in '17, the Red Sox use of Eovald, Price and Porcello last year.