• The KillerFrogs

2019 MLB Thread

FBallFan123

Astros AL champs

Gotta respect the way the Astros go about their business.

They've consistently traded for big time pitching (Verlander, Cole, Greinke) and they haven't overpaid.

Managed to hold on to Tucker and Whitley.

I thought the Astros were the best team in the AL before this trade...this trade solidifies their starting pitching advantage over the Yankees, who needed to add an impact starter and didn't.

Purp

I will say though they gave up A LOT for a World Series shot
Reworded the way I did I don't think that sentence works. I don't think they're wanting Greinke to pitch for the Astros until he's 45. They want to win a championship this year. Good for them.

jake102

I will say though they gave up A LOT for a 33 year old

He's 35. I'm overall positive on the trade, but just barely. Giving up both Martin and Bukauskas hurts and Beer really hurts.

At this point you are banking on Whitley staying away from SA and Alvarez learning 1B.

Tre J

He's 35. I'm overall positive on the trade, but just barely. Giving up both Martin and Bukauskas hurts and Beer really hurts.

At this point you are banking on Whitley staying away from SA and Alvarez learning 1B.
Got to play to win now. Core position players are very young, and there will be a lot of contract decisions in the coming years. And prospects are just that until they prove it in the majors.

FBallFan123

I think the Astros have to be in win-now mode the next 3 seasons.

Who knows when they'll have a collection of talent like this again.

They did well to lock-down Altuve and Bregman.

But they only have 2-3 years until Springer (2021) and Correa (2022) are UFA's.

Gerrit Cole and Wade Miley are both UFA's after this season.

Astros needed a starting pitcher with some year's left on their deal.

Plus...

Eight

beer and rojas can hit minor league pitching, but don't have positions with this current astro roster and tucker is starting to work at first base.

martin is having tommy john surgery and at the soonest he will be back in action at age 26 without a track record in the majors.

bukauskas has struggled with his control since getting to aa so he is far from a given

astros get a very good starter basically for $25,000,000 and have him for two more years. even if he is 70% in 2020 and 2021 that is an above average starter and the cash from as means retaining cole is still possible

in the end the astros got a top line starter, bullpen depth, a back-up catcher and I cash for a group of prospects who were starting to age out, had injury, or wasn't helping the rotation in the next 2-3 years.

luhnow once again crushed it,

LVH

The problem is that Bregman is just not that good. I've never seen such an undeserving player get so much hype.

FBallFan123

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if that was a serious comment or not.

Bregman’s had a top 10 WAR among position players the last 2 season (‘18 and ‘19).

And he’s played 104 of 109 games this season...maybe headed for his third season of 155+ games, which has been big with as much time as some other players have missed during that span.

Last edited:
Rangers with some moves looking to 2020. Cabrera and Federowicz to be DFAed. IKF coming back from the IL and will split time at 3rd with Forsythe. Jose Trevino called up to platoon behind the plate. The IKF experiment behind the plate appears to be over for now.