• The KillerFrogs

2019 MLB Thread

Ron Swanson

Lucroy out about a month. Seems like an even trade.
I think everyone realizes it was an accident except for Rangers fans. Jake obviously hurt Lucroy and it was his fault by rule, so MLB has to give him a suspension, but they don’t want to give him a serious suspension because it clearly wasn’t intentional.

They reserve long suspensions in these cases for runners with malicious intent.

Ron Swanson

Dude, I've admitted it was an accident...just a completely brain dead baserunning decision. I think doubling the suspension is not asking too much. Asdrubel Cabrera got suspended 3 games for throwing batting gloves on to the field that bounced and grazed an umpire's foot for crying out loud.
I think you don’t understand the speed of the game and how quick that decision was made while running at full speed.

Everyone else, including MLB apparently, seems to get it.

Hindsight is 20/20

Purp

I think you don’t understand the speed of the game and how quick that decision was made while running at full speed.

Everyone else, including MLB apparently, seems to get it.

Hindsight is 20/20
I'm not sure how the speed of the game has anything to do with this particular play.

Marisnick started outside the 3rd base line and Lucroy started fully inside.

At no point did Lucroy even feint a move outside the base line (his only move was up the base line), which means no matter how fast the play was unfolding nothing should have led Marisnick into Lucroy.

Lucroy did not move into the runner; the runner moved into Lucroy without a reason.

Ron Swanson

Ha! That makes no sense given the fact they suspended him. At no point did he ever take his eyes off the catcher. I have not seen anyone defend him except astros fans.
Every national pundit I’ve listened to talk about it has defended him. Only people I’ve seen critical are members of the Angels, catchers, and Rangers fans. The announcers during last nights game seemed to defend him.

And two games is nothing. He collided with him, it happened, so they had to suspend him. They went with the minimal penalty.

Purp

Girardi seems to be making two separate cases here. I think I agree with him that Marisnick didn't intend to have such a violent collision that would leave Lucroy injured. In the first video, Girardi points out Marisnick's eyes. I hadn't noticed that as much previously when I watched it, but it reinforces my belief that he intended to make contact to dislodge the ball at the plate. Girardi seems non-committal on this point, though. His eyes never left Lucroy and it appears he's taking wobbly steps as he nears the plate to ensure he gets enough contact to possibly dislodge the ball. He ends up guessing wrong and squares up Lucroy like Lawrence darnin Taylor.

I think that's why Marisnick is legitimately contrite, but the more times I watch this replay, and now especially after hearing Girardi's analysis of the play, I'm more and more convinced he intended to break this rule if required to try to dislodge the ball. If not he would have remained outside the baseline.

I'm also surprised it was only 2 games. They call it the Buster Posey Rule, but this was more egregious than the play that injured Posey.

Purp

And that's why he only got two games. It's being acknowledged that he was in the wrong, but also acknowledged that there was no malicious intent.
I think malicious intent to injure is the wrong thing to look at here. Intent to break the rule is what should be evaluated. Breaking the rule should be an auto 2 game suspension even if it's an unfortunate accident caused by a bad guess from the runner.

After watching Girardi's analysis of Marisnick's I don't see this as that anymore. There's no doubt in my mind that Marisnick intended to deviate from a direct line with the plate (in direct contravention of the rule) in order to dislodge the ball. A willful violation of the rule should be punished more harshly and, IMO, whether or not malicious intent to injure exists I'd be fine with a suspension equal to the time the injured player has to miss as a result of the injury sustained in that play. If malicious intent to injure is found I'd be fine with a suspension exceeding the duration of the injury by double. This play is so hard to watch every time I see it I get more upset by it.

FBallFan123

Girardi seems to be making two separate cases here. I think I agree with him that Marisnick didn't intend to have such a violent collision that would leave Lucroy injured. In the first video, Girardi points out Marisnick's eyes. I hadn't noticed that as much previously when I watched it, but it reinforces my belief that he intended to make contact to dislodge the ball at the plate. Girardi seems non-committal on this point, though. His eyes never left Lucroy and it appears he's taking wobbly steps as he nears the plate to ensure he gets enough contact to possibly dislodge the ball. He ends up guessing wrong and squares up Lucroy like Lawrence darnin Taylor.

I think that's why Marisnick is legitimately contrite, but the more times I watch this replay, and now especially after hearing Girardi's analysis of the play, I'm more and more convinced he intended to break this rule if required to try to dislodge the ball. If not he would have remained outside the baseline.

I'm also surprised it was only 2 games. They call it the Buster Posey Rule, but this was more egregious than the play that injured Posey.

This is where I’m at on it too...

I think Marisnick intended to hit Lucroy.

It’s doubtful he intended to hurt him.

But his intent to hit Lucroy led to him hurting Lucroy.

The “accident” is Lucroy getting hurt, not Lucroy getting hit, IMO.

I just don’t see how you can look at him - his eyes, his feet, his shoulder - prior to impact and not think he had decided to hit Lucroy.

Last edited: